Determining if a Point of Interest is on Private Property?

Submitted: Tuesday, Mar 28, 2017 at 13:48
ThreadID: 134553 Views:2842 Replies:4 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
I like visiting old abandoned mines.. I have various sources of data that I use to find them.

Prior to a trip.. how might I be able to determine if a particular Latitude/Longitude I'd like to visit is on private land or not?

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Tuesday, Mar 28, 2017 at 14:06

Tuesday, Mar 28, 2017 at 14:06
Hi Duncan

If you are unsure, do as I do and contact the property owner.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 609749

Follow Up By: Duncan M4 - Tuesday, Mar 28, 2017 at 14:14

Tuesday, Mar 28, 2017 at 14:14
Well.. I would if I knew it was private property... and who the owner was.. Thats sort of the point of the thread.. :)
FollowupID: 879633

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Tuesday, Mar 28, 2017 at 14:37

Tuesday, Mar 28, 2017 at 14:37
Duncan

A little research into the area that you are travelling will show you if it is station country. It is then a simple matter of contacting nearby station owners and they will soon point you in the right direction.

All station people that I have had contact with are always very helpful and will often give you detailed instruction how to get to what you hope to see.

All the best and hope you find what you are after.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 879635

Follow Up By: Duncan M4 - Tuesday, Mar 28, 2017 at 14:41

Tuesday, Mar 28, 2017 at 14:41
Thanks Stephen.. I'll keep digging! I've found that Google can be made to show Station Boundaries if you search for the Station Name.. (at least in SA).. that's helping greatly.. I'll get out my tablet when I get home and fire up ExplorOz Traveller as well.

FollowupID: 879636

Follow Up By: Member - Jack - Tuesday, Mar 28, 2017 at 15:33

Tuesday, Mar 28, 2017 at 15:33
If they start shooting at you, I'd assume you are either on somebody's land or their claim .. RUN !!!!!!!!!
The hurrieder I go, the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll-Alice In Wonderland)

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 879638

Follow Up By: Duncan M4 - Tuesday, Mar 28, 2017 at 16:11

Tuesday, Mar 28, 2017 at 16:11
Thanks Jack that sounds like sound advice :)
FollowupID: 879639

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Tuesday, Mar 28, 2017 at 14:17

Tuesday, Mar 28, 2017 at 14:17
Duncan if you look at our EOTopo maps, you will see that many types of land reserves are marked. Aside from all Government owned land reserved for conservation, national parks etc, the latest Native-title land boundaries are also shown, which are probably going to be your main concern. They are certainly the least understood by the public and have changed so much over recent years. Lease holders details of farming land and stations are not included at this stage, but even if so, would that be sufficient to confirm status of your ability to visit? I think not. It doesn't even help to locate a contact number as many stations are not listed in the phone directory.
What you can do however, is use the Places list to locate abandoned mine sites that have been submitted by other travellers. All will contain lat/long coordinates and you can click the map tab to view the position on the map and zoom into a 144K scale detail to check what's around. If the OP has given any access details or photos these will be included. Your interest in this type of site is not uncommon within the ExplorOz community and why our maps include "mine" as a POI type in the "Infrastructure" subset. You can search the map just by filtering for this Place type.
Hope this is of some help. I'm sure others will have other useful suggestions and ideas too but I can only comment on what we can help you with.
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 609750

Follow Up By: Duncan M4 - Tuesday, Mar 28, 2017 at 14:19

Tuesday, Mar 28, 2017 at 14:19
Very useful response.. thanks!
FollowupID: 879634

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Tuesday, Mar 28, 2017 at 15:04

Tuesday, Mar 28, 2017 at 15:04
One more thing, if you have the lat/long and want to quickly find it in our maps here's how:

1. Using a desktop computer with mouse viewing the Places map on the website - the lat/long coordinates will show for the position of your cursor (ie. where you are pointing your mouse), so its not very precise but will get to the right part of the map and then you can zoom in. Hopefully if its a good POI it will already be shown on the map with the "mine" symbol.

2. Using the ExplorOz Traveller app on your mobile device you can open the Places map and press anywhere on the map and a window will appear showing the Lat/Long - you simply type over with your known lat/long details, change Place Type from waypoint (the default) to Mine and click save. At the time of saving, you can choose to save as a Private Place or Public Place. The default is Private. You can open this Place from the Private list in the app only - you can look around on the map and use it to build a nav plan like with any of the other Places but its only visible to you. You can also change a Private Place to a Public place if we don't have it or after you've verified that it exists etc. Public means, it will update into our Places database so it will appear on both the ExplorOz website and in the download that app users put into their device through the data manager when they first get it - but can also be updated upon demand at any time, so you need to be sure it's a real Place if you do this. You can't delete a Public place through the app - we need to be alerted to delete a Public Place but its no trouble.
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 609752

Follow Up By: Duncan M4 - Tuesday, Mar 28, 2017 at 15:05

Tuesday, Mar 28, 2017 at 15:05
Awesome thanks.. will have a play on my Tablet when I get home tonight.

Cheers!
FollowupID: 879637

Reply By: Banjo (WA) - Wednesday, Mar 29, 2017 at 10:09

Wednesday, Mar 29, 2017 at 10:09
I think that Tengraph on the Dept of Minerals and Energy site give may give that info for WA.

Other states may have similar.

Paul
AnswerID: 609785

Sponsored Links