GU 2.8TD Intercooler 'Fan'

Submitted: Friday, Jun 04, 2004 at 14:06
ThreadID: 13458 Views:2394 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I was under my Patrol today and noticed to 'fan' underneath the intercooler, I turned the engine on and the fan still did not rotate, upped the revs and still nothing. I asked a mate and he said his had never noticed his working. Upon closer inspection there is a wire going to the centre of the fan. Does anybody know about the fan???
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: NathanK - Friday, Jun 04, 2004 at 14:15

Friday, Jun 04, 2004 at 14:15
could be like the additional thermo-fan on my Discovery - it only runs if the temp goes above a certain level on the motor. it's only run once, when i had the stupid plastic filler plug on the radiator blow and i lost a lot of fluid, the fan kicked on (sounded like a damn airplane turbine engine!!) but it kept me under the redline and got me home.
AnswerID: 61680

Reply By: Wayne (NSW) - Friday, Jun 04, 2004 at 15:12

Friday, Jun 04, 2004 at 15:12
Daniel,
The fan under the intercooler is to help cool the air. When the turbo is working and a sensor tells the fan that the air going into the inlet manifold is too hot and that is when the fan will start. On a cold day the fan would not need to work, but on a hot day and you are working the vehicle hard, and there is not much air flow over the intercooler the fan should work.
Upping the revs will not get the fan to work either as you need a load on the motor to get the turbo to work.

Wayne
AnswerID: 61691

Sponsored Links