ISUZU MU-X 2016 no GPS

Submitted: Sunday, Apr 02, 2017 at 21:19
ThreadID: 134585 Views:8537 Replies:11 FollowUps:29
This Thread has been Archived
I feel a bit duped by ISUZU, be warned.
When we bought our MU-X in Nov 2016, the salesman said that although the 2016 model didn't have GPS or Smart Connect features, it was highly likely that in a future service the firmware would be upgraded to include these features. This was in response to us mentioning that the Pajero Sports already has these features.
We were very disappointed when on our last service were told that this was not ever going to happen, We were cross to hear this, so contacted ISUZU HQ and it unfortunately was confirmed.
It is a shame because generally we are very happy with the vehicle except feel we now cant trust the company.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: IvanTheTerrible - Sunday, Apr 02, 2017 at 21:24

Sunday, Apr 02, 2017 at 21:24
Why blame Isuzu. Blame the salesman for lying. Isuzu don't own the dealerships.
AnswerID: 609869

Follow Up By: Member - P and JM - Sunday, Apr 02, 2017 at 21:31

Sunday, Apr 02, 2017 at 21:31
Hi,
I agree 100% with Ivan. We own a D-Max with a standard GPS fitted. You have to make sure you have it factory fitted when you purchased the vehicle. That's with any vehicle you purchase.
FollowupID: 879743

Follow Up By: RMD - Sunday, Apr 02, 2017 at 22:19

Sunday, Apr 02, 2017 at 22:19
How do you tell when a salesman is lying? when his lips are moving and words come out.
Generally, salesmen have little knowledge about what is going to be introduced.
They made the sale and their duty is done. Just because it isn't true isn't an IUA fault, they have no control over what a dealer representative does.

Just don't trust dealers and their staff until proven they are correct.
FollowupID: 879744

Reply By: Idler Chris - Sunday, Apr 02, 2017 at 22:19

Sunday, Apr 02, 2017 at 22:19
Don't blame Isuzu. Car salesmen are snake oil merchants and have no quarms about lying to get you to sign on the dotted line. If it is not in writing it will not happen - period.
What other people think of me is none of my business.
Do unto others what you would have them do unto you.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 609871

Follow Up By: Alloy c/t - Monday, Apr 03, 2017 at 09:54

Monday, Apr 03, 2017 at 09:54
Get it in writing ? Salesmen / women have been known to fill their fancy fountain pens with invisible ink …...
FollowupID: 879754

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Monday, Apr 03, 2017 at 07:00

Monday, Apr 03, 2017 at 07:00
Hi Len

Like the others have said above, it has nothing to do with Isuzu. It come down to two things to blame, firstly the salesman, and secondly yourself, and did you speak to any service techs to see if thst was going to happen?

If the salesman was so sure of his product knowledge, you should have made him put it in writing, stating that if the future upgrade did not happen, then he will take back your vehicle.

Then when it comes to you, it is called thorough product research on the product you intend to buy, not just cars, but anything. It is no good blaming say a computer company for buying a computer with no CD drive, the salesman that sold you it thinks it has one, get it home to find no CD drive and the specifacations clearly show they do not have one.

Research, research research .

From the research that I have read and been told, you have purchased a very reliable and capable four wheel drive.

Enjoy your new pride and joy.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 609872

Reply By: Michael H9 - Monday, Apr 03, 2017 at 07:30

Monday, Apr 03, 2017 at 07:30
Gday Len,

It seems you are copping a bit of a hiding here with everyone saying that Isuzu is blameless, the salesman is a con artist and you should have studied harder. In my opinion, Isuzu should shoulder some responsibility for shonky salesmen operating under their explicit banner. The dealer is their public face and only point of contact. It is true that Isuzu can't be held directly responsible, so I think your only recourse is to go after the dealer and register your displeasure with the dealer with Isuzu so it is on record with them. Isuzu wouldn't be happy about it either and would want to know about it because in this day of social media bad news travels fast.
On the plus side, you have a nice car and you can probably put a new after market gps/entertainment/bluetooth unit in that will integrate with all the Isuzi buttons and controls if you really want to for under $1000. I did it for my wife's VW and you wouldn't know it wasn't designed for the car.
AnswerID: 609873

Follow Up By: Geoffr17 - Monday, Apr 03, 2017 at 07:50

Monday, Apr 03, 2017 at 07:50
I totally agree. The salemen selling a product Represent the company. They are the shop front for the products on sale , Isuzu.

If i buy something from Harvey Norman I expect to be told the truth about the Product without needing Jerry Harvey to confirm if it's true.

The salespeople represent the Company.

Isuzu should be unhappy because issues like this will make people think about purchases of their products
FollowupID: 879748

Follow Up By: LenW - Monday, Apr 03, 2017 at 08:06

Monday, Apr 03, 2017 at 08:06
Hi Michael,
To me a vehicle like that is a rare purchase, naive buyers should reasonably assume that ISUZU have standards for selecting their representatives.

As far as the public is concerned the dealer is the face of ISUZU, the company should not try to hide behind this face and deny responsibility.

I thought it a reasonable that the upgrade of firmware would happen at a service, it happens daily on smart TV's.

Did you know the previous MU-X had the GPS, but it was disabled at a service.
FollowupID: 879749

Follow Up By: Kazza055 - Monday, Apr 03, 2017 at 08:39

Monday, Apr 03, 2017 at 08:39
I have the 2014 D-Masx LST that came with a factory fitted GPS which was one of the must haves on my shopping list.

I soon found out that I was entitled to 1 only map update which was about 9 months out of date when I updated. Today I can update the maps for $150 but the maps are 2016.

A better option is to replace the whole unit with something like this Android6.0 GPS Navi Double 2 DIN Car Auto Stereo WIFI 3G Bluetooth Radio CAM. For the cost of nearly 2 paid for updates I can get free map Android updates.

The head unit/gps maps is the only negative thing I have with the Isuzu after 3 years ownership.
FollowupID: 879750

Follow Up By: Idler Chris - Monday, Apr 03, 2017 at 09:26

Monday, Apr 03, 2017 at 09:26
Kazza055 where did you get the wiring loom to interface this unit with a D-Max?
Chris

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 879751

Follow Up By: Kazza055 - Monday, Apr 03, 2017 at 11:17

Monday, Apr 03, 2017 at 11:17
Sorry Chris, it is on my wish list but having a background in electrical thingies I should be able to work it out and make my own up as I did a few years ago with my old Patrol.

If you do a search of www.ozisuzu.com.au, I am certain you will find a pdf of the pinout of the Clarion unit used in the LST. I go by "bob" over there.

Just about all these units use the same colour code for the wiring so a bit of cutting and soldering should get it working.
FollowupID: 879756

Follow Up By: pop2jocem - Monday, Apr 03, 2017 at 11:23

Monday, Apr 03, 2017 at 11:23
You lot never cease to amaze me. According to your reckoning Isuzu, a company based overseas, is to blame because some either ill informed, or just plain lying salesman employed by an Australian dealer tells a customer a technical inexactitude it is now Isuzu's responsibility. (:=0) WOW.

Why not recommend the buyer takes it up with the party that is responsible, namely the dealer he bought it off. They are the mob that employed, and I assume trained that salesman.

The other issue is that so far we only have the original poster's version of events.
I'm not saying he is telling only his "version" of events, I, like the rest of us, really are just taking it as verbatim.

Cheers
Pop
FollowupID: 879758

Follow Up By: Michael H9 - Monday, Apr 03, 2017 at 12:35

Monday, Apr 03, 2017 at 12:35
Well Pop, I clearly stated it was the salesman and not Isuzu, but that Isuzu should take some responsibility for the people they choose to represent them. I also recommended he take it up with the dealer and to make sure that Isuzu knows he was dissatisfied with the salesman.

"It is true that Isuzu can't be held directly responsible, so I think your only recourse is to go after the dealer and register your displeasure with the dealer with Isuzu so it is on record with them"

Are you reading different words?
FollowupID: 879759

Follow Up By: pop2jocem - Monday, Apr 03, 2017 at 16:10

Monday, Apr 03, 2017 at 16:10
My apologies Michael, I did cast too wide a net. Your's was one of the more reasoned responses.

As said and obviously just my opinion, take it up with the sales manager as the first point of contact. If no satisfaction, the next step I would take is to contact the dealer principle. If still no satisfaction, then bring the matter to the attention of Isuzu Australia. Keeping each person in the chain very aware of what the next step will be.

I would also be very conversant with what is stated in any sales brochures or other printed or electronic media regarding just what is available on a model before purchase..
FollowupID: 879769

Reply By: Jackolux - Monday, Apr 03, 2017 at 09:28

Monday, Apr 03, 2017 at 09:28
I bought a SX Dmax one of the things I didn't want was the GPS , I have a Garmin that I can keep updated for free ,

I just take it out of the Ute connect to the computer to update

I also plan my own routes both on road and off , ( I have OZ-Topo card in the GPS ) in Base Camp on my computer and upload them to the Garmin . I have just uploaded a High-country trip to the GPS now .

I do the same with the Garmin Zumo on my Bike .
AnswerID: 609877

Follow Up By: Idler Chris - Monday, Apr 03, 2017 at 09:50

Monday, Apr 03, 2017 at 09:50
I agree with Jackolux. Always buy the cheapest model and add the things you want. The result is always better and cheaper, although a bit more work and running around.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 879753

Follow Up By: garrycol - Monday, Apr 03, 2017 at 15:40

Monday, Apr 03, 2017 at 15:40
Actually Pop under law they are - they are acting as an agent of the dealer who is acting as an agent of the car company.

The company is responsible for the promises of its agents, irretrospective whether they are right or wrong - the only out is that if it can be proved that the agent was acting in a vindictive manner against the company.

Company/agent relationships is a basic tenant of Australian Consumer Law and Australian Corporations Law.
FollowupID: 879767

Follow Up By: pop2jocem - Monday, Apr 03, 2017 at 16:20

Monday, Apr 03, 2017 at 16:20
Not going to argue the point with you garry but having been on the other side of the counter of a vehicle dealership I'm pretty sure that the dealership is ultimately responsible for the conduct of it's staff.

The dealership agreement which I signed and AFAIK most, if not in every agreement, the entity accepting the dealership appointment agrees to hold the party supplying the goods blameless and free from encumbrances in the event that the dealership and it's employees have any legal preceedings brought against them as long as any legal action cannot be attributed to the manufacturer..

In plain English, unless the goods can be demonstrated to be obviously faulty, the buck stops with the dealer.

Cheers
Pop
FollowupID: 879770

Follow Up By: garrycol - Monday, Apr 03, 2017 at 19:05

Monday, Apr 03, 2017 at 19:05
On that aspect you are correct - the first point of contact in accordance with the consumer law is the seller not the manufacturer. But ultimately the manufacturer cannot transfer their responsibility to the dealer just as the dealer cannot transfer responsibility to the manufacture.

My point is that as an agent of both the dealer and the manufacturer anything said by the salesman binds both companies to what the salesman says (proving it is a different matter).
FollowupID: 879775

Follow Up By: Shaker - Monday, Apr 03, 2017 at 19:58

Monday, Apr 03, 2017 at 19:58
Surely an agent sells something on behalf of somebody else eg. Insurance, Falcon Stoves etc.
An automotive dealership buy & own (or floor plan) their stock & sell it on their own behalf with their sales staff acting as their agent.
The buck stops with the Dealer Principal.

FollowupID: 879778

Follow Up By: garrycol - Monday, Apr 03, 2017 at 20:33

Monday, Apr 03, 2017 at 20:33
Go and do some legal studies or simply look on the WWW and learn what "Agent" in a legal sense means.

Also many dealerships do not actually own the vehicles they sell - ownership in many cases is retained by the manufacturer or the distributor.
FollowupID: 879779

Follow Up By: Shaker - Monday, Apr 03, 2017 at 21:58

Monday, Apr 03, 2017 at 21:58
Must be new, when I was in the trade a manufacturer would never release a vehicle without full payment, either from the dealer or the floor plan financier.
FollowupID: 879783

Follow Up By: garrycol - Monday, Apr 03, 2017 at 22:34

Monday, Apr 03, 2017 at 22:34
Yep looks like you are out of date.
FollowupID: 879784

Follow Up By: 9900Eagle - Tuesday, Apr 04, 2017 at 06:59

Tuesday, Apr 04, 2017 at 06:59
I am with shaker. The only time I have seen vehicles on a dealers floor that belong to the manufacturer are there for short term display or dealer vehicle shows.

All the vehicles they have are on floor plans from various finance companies.
FollowupID: 879786

Reply By: Top End Az - Monday, Apr 03, 2017 at 13:01

Monday, Apr 03, 2017 at 13:01
I have a 2012 (first of the new shape) Dmax with a Sat NAv. To be honest with you mate, it is not too flash at all. Didn't have roads on it like the GRR, and you have to pay for the map updates. The Bluetooth connectivity is a bit hit and miss on mine too and it has swallowed CD's, although they switched out that Clarion model and put something else in after 2013.

The best thing I did and already mentioned was buy a $150 Garmin GPS from the Good Guys and it's heaps better than the Dmax one, and has the GRR, minor El questro 4wd tracks on it, and has free lifetime map updates and is very simple and intuative to use, something that the Clarion wasn't. Whilst you probably don't want to have to go out and buy one, I'm glad I did and as mentioned you can take it out and put it in other cars if you need.
AnswerID: 609885

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Monday, Apr 03, 2017 at 14:22

Monday, Apr 03, 2017 at 14:22
Hi Len

Just reading it again, there is a very strange point by the saleman that sold you your vehicle.

Firstly he should have know what was standard with your new vehicle.

Secondly, if it did not have any form of fitted GPS in the vehicle, all the firmware upgrades in the world will not give you a GPS, as you do not have the receiver fitted.

If this is the case, you have a very good point of going to your Consumer Afairs and demand that one be fitted, as you were told by the salesman that a Firmware upgrade will address the problem.

Regardless of what industry you are on, sales people are not to give any customer any faulse or missleading information.

Go back to him, tell him to get his manager and then demand a GPS fitted at their expense.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 609887

Follow Up By: Shaker - Monday, Apr 03, 2017 at 15:17

Monday, Apr 03, 2017 at 15:17
Ha ha, good luck with demanding!
It will be a case of "he said, she said"
FollowupID: 879765

Follow Up By: pop2jocem - Monday, Apr 03, 2017 at 16:30

Monday, Apr 03, 2017 at 16:30
Dead right right Shaker. If it ain't written down it didn't happen.

I would be having a very close read of any sales material provided.

Actually I would be having a very close read well before laying down one cent regardless of what some sales person said.

Cheers
Pop
FollowupID: 879771

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Monday, Apr 03, 2017 at 20:38

Monday, Apr 03, 2017 at 20:38
Hi Shaker and Pop

Why not demand, after all it shows a complete lack of knowledge of the product the so called salesman is selling, if not name and shame the dealer.

Consumer laws state that you can not give false and misleading information, and that is exactly what the salesman did. And then to add to the complete lack ok knowledge, saying that future software updates would add the features that he wanted. If there is no actual GPS receiver there, how can a firmware update do the impossible.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 879780

Follow Up By: pop2jocem - Tuesday, Apr 04, 2017 at 10:02

Tuesday, Apr 04, 2017 at 10:02
G'day Stephen,

No reason why the OP can't demand. The point I, and I suspect Shaker, was trying to make, is that without some sort of proof, preferably in writing or on electronic media, is nothing more than " he said she said".

Absolutely agree about not giving false or misleading information. The rub is trying to prove it.

I think we need to take into consideration our concepts and points of view. Unfortunately over the years the trade/profession of sales person has been tainted by the behaviour of certain individuals and their methods.

It seems that without a skerick of proof many respondents are willing to accept the word of the buyer, i.e. the OP and regard the salesman as the villain.
Which, if running true to form, he/she may well be. The other side of the coin is that a disgruntled consumer is just venting his spleen.

Cheers
Pop
FollowupID: 879794

Follow Up By: Shaker - Tuesday, Apr 04, 2017 at 19:30

Tuesday, Apr 04, 2017 at 19:30
The other point I was trying to make is that going in with your chest puffed out, making all sorts of demands & quoting Australian Consumer Laws will get you shown the front door in a lot of dealerships. The best thing is to just make an appointment to see the new car sales manager, calmly tell him what your complaint is, what you would be happy with to resolve the issue & if he/she can't/won't help then ask to see the dealer principal.

FollowupID: 879801

Reply By: GREG T11 - Monday, Apr 03, 2017 at 20:44

Monday, Apr 03, 2017 at 20:44
Len, if you are happy with the vehicle just bite the bullet and go aftermarket as others have said. The benefits are more up to date maps that you can download from your computer, portability between cars and not having to pay a dealer overinflated prices for updating maps !

The best option regards the dealer, get your servicing done elsewhere as that is where it will hurt them, whether or not that is another dealer or a log accredited private one it won't be an issue as far as warranty is concerned, but they will miss out on servicing and that is where the cream is for the dealer.

Regardless of the sales spiel the salesperson is a indication of the dealerships ethics. So let your feet do the talking and go elsewhere.

Cheers

AnswerID: 609904

Reply By: Member - Boobook - Tuesday, Apr 04, 2017 at 12:48

Tuesday, Apr 04, 2017 at 12:48
These words are key.

"the salesman said that although the 2016 model didn't have GPS or Smart Connect features, it was highly likely that in a future service the firmware would be upgraded to include these features. This was in response to us mentioning that the Pajero Sports already has these features."

So he didn't say that your car would be upgraded, he said that It was highly likely.

Ie no promises that you would get it. That's the bad news. The good news, especially, if you get him to repeat it is that it could be that it was never upgradable and his highly likely statement was not based on any truth. I am sure that is easy to establish. As Stephen L points out, a firmware upgrade still needs a hardware GPS, Is that already installed - doubt it.

I would pursue that line. Why did he say it was highly likely when it wasn't at all possible.

Good luck.
AnswerID: 609917

Reply By: TerraFirma - Tuesday, Apr 04, 2017 at 15:35

Tuesday, Apr 04, 2017 at 15:35
I can understand your frustrations if it was promised? What was your intended use of the GPS? If it was for in car navigation can I give you my opinion? (Assuming it was for in car navigation).
If this is the case or not I personally believe in car navigation is a waste of time with the new Google Maps Navigator. Google has spent $Millions on the development of real time traffic information which basically uses everybody's phone to monitor and report traffic as you drive. On top of this it is by far the easiest and most accurate navigator to use. All you need is your phone with GPS and holder/cradle
Despite having GPS in all my cars I now do not use their in-built navigational functions. My experience for what it is worth and hopefully to give you some good news as it's free. (I don't work for Google BTW LOL)
AnswerID: 609920

Follow Up By: JR - Thursday, Apr 06, 2017 at 06:35

Thursday, Apr 06, 2017 at 06:35
None of which works outside of mobile coverage areas and pleny of regional roads not on there even then or roads there which dont exist
Great for bigger towns, cities and main roads

Agree that Isuzu GPS isnt worth fighting for, thats why they binned it for the 2016 model
You got a much better unit just without satnav features
Either use your phone or a add on sat nav or spend big on a good in dash unit
FollowupID: 879849

Follow Up By: TerraFirma - Thursday, Apr 06, 2017 at 10:22

Thursday, Apr 06, 2017 at 10:22
True JR although it does work if you have put your trip in whilst you had reception. Not for off road but neither is the vehicle GPS. Point is as you say it's not worth fighting for.
FollowupID: 879859

Follow Up By: LenW - Sunday, Apr 09, 2017 at 13:16

Sunday, Apr 09, 2017 at 13:16
Thanks for all the suggestions for alternate ways of getting GPS, some good tips there.

However my original post was to point out that here is yet another sad case of dishonesty in our society nowadays, who can you trust, certainly not some ISUZU dealers.

It is probably un-fair to tar all dealers with the same brush, my postcode is 3550.

FollowupID: 879989

Follow Up By: TerraFirma - Sunday, Apr 09, 2017 at 13:51

Sunday, Apr 09, 2017 at 13:51
If you were lied to and want to take it further put a letter into Isuzu Australia. If you need help via another Isuzu dealer I can help via postcode 3156. Alternatively social media via FB etc works wonders with businesses who don't do the right thing.
FollowupID: 879992

Reply By: Member - WBS - Sunday, Apr 09, 2017 at 08:49

Sunday, Apr 09, 2017 at 08:49
I have had experience with a few built in units and none have lived up to expectations as far as remote area coverage goes. The best I have used is the one in my Jeep and that it not to imply I'm satisfied with it either it's just the best of an average bunch. As ever, I use OzExplorer on a tablet and the built in one for cities and towns. The big issue for me is the cost of upgrades to the data is in the area of $200-$300 and above. The Bt 50 has a Hema app and maps loaded but you need to pay a fee to activate it. If I recall correctly to unlock the app cost $200+. I just downloaded the maps and loaded them into my tablet. Problem solved.

If you buy an after market unit find out the cost to upgrade data runs to before you buy
AnswerID: 610054

Sponsored Links