Add a Bullbar get Wheel aligment.

Submitted: Monday, Apr 03, 2017 at 19:58
ThreadID: 134594 Views:6138 Replies:6 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi,
Thoughts and comments please.
Scrubbed out a front drivers side tyre at 18,000 kms and told by two different trye places it was the new added Bull bar.
Has anybody had similiar experience?
TonyL
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - nick b - Monday, Apr 03, 2017 at 20:37

Monday, Apr 03, 2017 at 20:37
Hi Tony : that would have been a good idea .....re your profile photo bull bar is most likely 60 kg approximate .
when i did my last one on a triton i fitted beefed up springs to Carry extra weight & wheel align .
Cheers Nick b

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 609901

Reply By: RMD - Monday, Apr 03, 2017 at 20:48

Monday, Apr 03, 2017 at 20:48
Assuming it has Independent Front suspension.
Any additional weight on the front end of an IFS vehicle WILL alter the toe in or toe out setting.
Probably the toe in increased and the outer edges of the front tyres wore away.
SO, any change in ride height does require a tie rod adjustment on both sides.

Some also will alter the camber of the wheel and if the left remained close to OE setting but the right changed due to bar weight and/or driver weight it will wear the tyre on that wheel.

Most likely, Toe in AND Camber need checking.
AnswerID: 609905

Reply By: Member - TonyV - Tuesday, Apr 04, 2017 at 15:35

Tuesday, Apr 04, 2017 at 15:35
Apart from a change to static weight of a vehicle with a bulbar/winch/longrange tank etc. where a wheel alignment should be done. If you off road with any independent sprung 4WD you should get you wheel alignment done/checked a couple to times a year
AnswerID: 609919

Reply By: Member - DingoBlue(WA) - Thursday, Apr 06, 2017 at 13:54

Thursday, Apr 06, 2017 at 13:54
Would've thought that scrubbing out only one tyre is not the result of adding a bull bar. I could be wrong, but I'd assume that the weight would be evenly distributed to both tyres.
Rather a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 609980

Reply By: Batt's - Saturday, Apr 08, 2017 at 22:54

Saturday, Apr 08, 2017 at 22:54
You say at 18,000km so I expect that you do rotate the tyres at approx.every 10,000km or less so how many k's did it actually take to scrub the tyre out because if you use a competent tyre dealer they should have picked up on the wear last time they were rotated. Sorry but to me it doesn't add up unless you haven't rotated them for 18,000 km which is not good.
AnswerID: 610050

Reply By: The Bantam - Sunday, Apr 09, 2017 at 12:44

Sunday, Apr 09, 2017 at 12:44
Sorry I say BULL$#@!.
If you are going to scrub out a single tyre in 18 000 Km you have more problems than a little extra weight on the front.

I think you need too look further, there may be another problem. ... minimum I'd say you had some sort of alignment problem beforehand.

If it was the weight of the bullbar I would expect both tyres to be showing same or similar wear.

We hear this extra weight from the bullbar line over and over again ...... serioulsy a lot of the time it's probably a means of selling more product and services.

50 KG for a bullbar .... serioulsy ..... that must be some sort of monster.

I have fitted a few bullbars ...... the average alloy bar I can carry around in 1 hand .... a steel one I can easily pick up in two hands. ..... I'm not a big boy, that ain't 50Kg

unless of course you have fitted a winch ..... even then it's not the massive weight that people seem to make out that it is.

OK if you have a light passenger car with a steel bullbar ...... yeh that will sit the front down a bit.

but this idea that you have to do front suspension mods to fit a bullbar to a 2 tonne 4wd .... OH please.

Yeh it's probably a good idea to do a wheel align when fitting things like bullbars.

Consider this ...... when I baught my 2wd hilux .... it drove like a pig .... I knew why before I baught it.

When I got it home my suspicions where confirmed ..... tyres way over inflated, wheels not propperly balanced and the wheel alignment was all over the shop ....... it had brand new tyres on it and was supposed to have been aligned.

Find ya self a wheel aligner that keeps their equipment in good condition and pays mechanics to do wheel alignments, not unqualified numbies. ...... and one that does more than just tweak the toe in.

cheers
AnswerID: 610073

Sponsored Links