Hanns Track waypoints

Submitted: Thursday, Apr 06, 2017 at 12:01
ThreadID: 134611 Views:3175 Replies:2 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Has anyone got an electronic copy of the waypoint for the Hanns Track, from the western end where it leaves the AB to the eastern end where it joins the CS, I bought the book, but don't really want to have to input over 100 waypoints into the GPS if someone has already done it and is willing to share them. Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Graham N (SA) - Friday, Apr 07, 2017 at 06:54

Friday, Apr 07, 2017 at 06:54
Hi Oldfosil,
I'm not much help to you regarding the electronic copy, we are travelling that way ourselves in June so was curious as to when you are heading that way. We are just using the book and putting in the waypoints as we go. One of us should have some wheel tracks to follow. Enjoy your trip.

Cheers
Graham
AnswerID: 609993

Reply By: Member - Boobook - Friday, Apr 07, 2017 at 10:04

Friday, Apr 07, 2017 at 10:04
Dunno if this helps or not.

When locating unmarked tracks I use this tool.

Sharemap

Click on Bing maps. It generally has better satellite detail than Google.

If you locate a few known points ( you can upload GPX tracks or waypoints) you can then visually follow tracks and draw on them, then you can download the tracks you draw as a GPX file.

Sometimes the tracks are not clear, but generally you can follow tracks.

You then import the GPX file into Ozi, memory Map etc.
AnswerID: 609998

Follow Up By: Member - 0ldfosil - Friday, Apr 07, 2017 at 12:23

Friday, Apr 07, 2017 at 12:23
Thanks for that I'll check it out.
FollowupID: 879902

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Friday, Apr 07, 2017 at 17:23

Friday, Apr 07, 2017 at 17:23
Cut out the middle man - if you have OziExplorer (PC version) just use the internet map function - you can display google earth, microsoft virtual earth (same as Bing?), Open street maps and a few others. Would appear to be the same map sources (at least in part as sharemaps). Making track/waypoint files is easy and can be saved as GPX.

Not sure its that much help in this case but anyway - an option.

Importing a lot of waypoint can indeed be tedious. I dont have a copy of Hanns track book (so cant help) but in the past have scanned lists of waypoints, done OCR (optical character recognition), copied into excel and saved as csv (txt) file and then imported into OziExplorer (great program and VERY easy to use) . Not everyones cup of tea but can be done and when you know how ...a breeze. Saves a lot of typing and frustration.

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 879918

Sponsored Links