MacCabe Corner

Submitted: Saturday, Apr 08, 2017 at 19:54
ThreadID: 134626 Views:3779 Replies:6 FollowUps:10
This Thread has been Archived
Good evening all.

After many years of forum chat about how to get to this lonely spot, Fiona and I finally have been to this location today.

We are still away, so have limited internet to post images. One thing that I can say, is never trust Google Earth images, as yes it showed tracks going quite close to the spot, but in reality, National Parks have fenced off the area north of Higgens Cutting which is the closest point to the corner.

We took our kayak along hoping to paddle from the corner to the SA / NSW Border marker which I would have thought would have been across the opposite side of the River, which it is not, but well over 700 metres of more further upstream.

Plan 2 came into action and we had to paddle from the Higgins Cutting boat ramp to get to both places.

Keep an eye out on the Places Page when I can get to add the correct location and photos.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Saturday, Apr 08, 2017 at 21:47

Saturday, Apr 08, 2017 at 21:47
Hi Again

Here is the proof that we made it today.....

Cheers

Stephen

Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 610045

Follow Up By: Idler Chris - Saturday, Apr 08, 2017 at 22:35

Saturday, Apr 08, 2017 at 22:35
Well done explorers Stephen & Fiona.
What other people think of me is none of my business.
Do unto others what you would have them do unto you.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 879962

Follow Up By: Baz - The Landy - Friday, Apr 21, 2017 at 07:17

Friday, Apr 21, 2017 at 07:17
Great work...!

Now that I have time n my hands it might be something I can take my kayak to.

Cheers, Baz
FollowupID: 880320

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Friday, Apr 21, 2017 at 08:43

Friday, Apr 21, 2017 at 08:43
Hi Baz

It is well worth the time and effort to visit this lonely spot. Make sure that you only tackle the paddle from Higgins Cutting and not the Customs House which will nearly triple the distance that you have to paddle.

Also by going this way, you will not be paddling against the current on your return paddle.

The Riverland has so much history on offer and has some on the best backwaters to paddle.

We have been going there every year for 10 days for a number of decades and still find new points of interest, from lonely mass Aboriginal burial sites, blazed trees and every early European history.

I will do a blog on the paddle and give easy instructions for others that wish to visit this lonely corner.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 880322

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Saturday, Apr 08, 2017 at 22:45

Saturday, Apr 08, 2017 at 22:45
Hi Chris

Thanks for that.

It turned out to be an easy 11.44 kilometre return paddle from Higgins Cutting boat ramp.

On checking the GPS waypoints, it was just over 400 metres from the SA / NSW Border marker to MacCabe Corner.

If you did not know about MacCabe Corner, you would completly miss it, and is not as prominant as the SA / NSW Border market which is real big and stands out and the view from the River is blocked by River Coober trees.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 610049

Reply By: Les - PK Ranger - Sunday, Apr 09, 2017 at 01:15

Sunday, Apr 09, 2017 at 01:15
Did you bother with the 'other corner' Stephen ?
The dog leg where the once disputed misalignment is ?
Thanks for posting, might have to grab a couple of paddling mates and go do this one weekend myself.
AnswerID: 610051

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Sunday, Apr 09, 2017 at 08:55

Sunday, Apr 09, 2017 at 08:55
Hi Les

We have paddled to that one many years ago. I have added that spot into "Places" and is the same as the SA / NSW marker that is close to MacCabe Corner, but for some reason is not regarded as a Corner as such.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 879971

Follow Up By: Les - PK Ranger - Sunday, Apr 09, 2017 at 09:04

Sunday, Apr 09, 2017 at 09:04
At least they put the named corner in the right spot.
FollowupID: 879974

Reply By: Member - Michael John T (VIC) - Sunday, Apr 09, 2017 at 12:44

Sunday, Apr 09, 2017 at 12:44
Well done Stephen, a bit of a coincidence as I was just looking up this corner on Google Maps yesterday and now here is an answer from you.

Good stuff

Mike.
AnswerID: 610072

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Sunday, Apr 09, 2017 at 18:56

Sunday, Apr 09, 2017 at 18:56
Hi Mike

Like a lot of people, I use Google Earth to plan many trips and I was sure I was on the money on how to drive as close as possible to the corner.

I am not a local to the Riverland, but spend a lot of time up here and know the area quiet well.

The key to the location is tracks off of the Higgins Cutting track and it was looking good until the dreaded fence line that National Parks have put in, blocking all access further north.

The only other possibility is access from private property, but I do not know who owns the land or who to contact.

Anyway we were prepared and the paddle was well worth it and we had a positive outcome.

Thanks for reply.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 880001

Reply By: Member - Boobook - Sunday, Apr 09, 2017 at 16:31

Sunday, Apr 09, 2017 at 16:31
Stephen, I am guessing Fiona is your wife.

She must be a very patient lady, following you around the country to visit every corner, intersection and confluence point.

Good on both of you.

AnswerID: 610081

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Sunday, Apr 09, 2017 at 19:02

Sunday, Apr 09, 2017 at 19:02
Hi Tony

Yes Fiona is my good wife of nearly 40 years and yes she is a very patient lady to put up with me.....lol

It is all great fun and we love to visit these out of the way places and is a great way of visiting places that we have not visited before.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 880002

Follow Up By: Idler Chris - Monday, Apr 10, 2017 at 08:54

Monday, Apr 10, 2017 at 08:54
40 Years!!!!!!. You must have snatched her out of the craddle you DOM. lol
What other people think of me is none of my business.
Do unto others what you would have them do unto you.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 880008

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Monday, Apr 10, 2017 at 19:31

Monday, Apr 10, 2017 at 19:31
Hi Chris

Fiona said thanks for the compliment.........lol

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 880031

Reply By: Member - Markndee - Thursday, Apr 13, 2017 at 12:03

Thursday, Apr 13, 2017 at 12:03
Hi Stephen. This caught my attention because we have been to all the other corners - Cameron's Corner, Haddon Corner, Surveyor General's corner. There is a bit of a misalignment in the last one too. I hadn't heard McCabe's Corner but have figured out it's meant to be the junction of Vic/SA/NSW. We thought about visiting it but the misalignment in the SA border once it's south of the Murray rather confused the matter. I think there might be some historical but never-to-be-resolved dispute between the Vic/SA governments about giving their land back! Another histoical point that you may or may not be aware of is that when Vic separated from NSW way back in the mid-1800's the border was deemed to be the south bank of the Murray River - which means NSW owns the river. This provided a few interesting occasions enforcing campfire regulations along the river where its course had actually changed - some campers were actually in NSW on the south side and vice versa on the north side!
AnswerID: 610179

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Thursday, Apr 20, 2017 at 20:34

Thursday, Apr 20, 2017 at 20:34
Hi Marndee

Sorry for the late reply, but have been away and back to work now.

Like many people, I thought that MacCabe Corner would be the 3 states official joining marker, but in fact it is not.

The reason for this lies in one point that you mentioned and a fact that I was aware of. NSW owns the Murray River and the Southern Bank then becomes the actual State Border of Victoria. So at the point over 400 metres further upstream from MacCabe Corner is the actual State Border Marker for South Australia and NSW, and it is at this point where any land to the south is then Victorian.

As for the actual Victorian State Border Survey that was a complete shambles, it was tested in the High Court in 1914 and for some very strange reason, Victoria won the court case and South Australia lost 138,700 hectares of land through no other fault as very bad Surveyors in 1847 to 1850.

For this very reason, and to stop the Victorian so called Border Heading north of the Murray River, and proven by the the fact that the actual Border was 3.2 kilometres west of the actual Meridian, Charles Todd was appointed in 1868 to determine the actual correct position of the 141st Meridian and after the position was confirmed, Todd met with the NSW Government Astronomer, George Smalley where it was confirmed that Todds action position was correct and at this remote location, a large brick Obelisk was built to mark the correct position at the SA / NSW Border, and with todays modern survey equipment the position as determined back in 1868 is only out by around 100 metres, compared the the 3.2 kilometre stuff up by the Victorian.

Here are a couple more shots that relate to the area.

Cheers

Stephen

Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 880314

Sponsored Links