InReach Satellite Phones

Submitted: Saturday, Apr 22, 2017 at 21:21
ThreadID: 134708 Views:3070 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
HI,
I am looking for an alternative to a 'talking' satellite phone.

These InReach models seem to do everything except talk. Messages, pair with my smartphone and keep a snails trail of where I have been.
Not a bad price either.

Has anyone used them?

InReach phones

bill
Bill B

My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - DW Lennox Head(NSW) - Sunday, Apr 23, 2017 at 05:06

Sunday, Apr 23, 2017 at 05:06
Bill

I was fortunate to trial one of these about 4 years ago. They are impressive.

Some examples of the use I had from it.

The first was, our son knew we were going towards their home and we had not arrived. He had the code to see where we were and located us. We were out of mobile coverage but he told us exactly where we had been.

The second was, our other son was to meet us near Nowra. There had been extensive rain both at Coolendell, where we were and also in Canberra where he lived. No mobile coverage at alThe second was, our other son was to meet us near Nowra. There had been extensive rain both at Coolendell, where we were and also in Canberra where he lived. No mobile coverage at all so I sent a text message by it to advise him not to come and he replied to say it was very wet there too. I sent a text message by it to advise him not to come and he replied to say it was very wet there too.

Our whole trip had been tracked on this tracker so we could see where we had actually been, which was out to Birdsville races and then to Cameron Corner to Bourke and down the Darling River and up the Murray River into Canberra via Jindabyne then to Coolendell and finally home.

I did not buy one but am planning to hire one for a trip into the more remote areas later this year.

Cheers
Duncan
AnswerID: 610450

Reply By: Member - Boobook - Sunday, Apr 23, 2017 at 06:31

Sunday, Apr 23, 2017 at 06:31
They seem very expensive on a monthly basis to me for what they do.

The base plan at $20 per month gives you 10 messages and tracking is 30c per point. The $35 plan gives you 100 messages and 300 tracking points.

That's almost a useless amount of tracking points over a month.

If you need people to know where you are even if you have no phone coverage, but its no good for real snail trail mapping with only 10 points per day.

EO's Track me would do a better job with an Iphone. When you get coverage it will catch up and track very regularly.

Then get a sat phone on a Telstra plan. Cheaper and better.

AnswerID: 610451

Follow Up By: Member - peter_mc - Sunday, Apr 23, 2017 at 13:32

Sunday, Apr 23, 2017 at 13:32
Wow that's expensive. A Spot Trace costs ~$A160/year for 5 minute position updates.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 880385

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Sunday, Apr 23, 2017 at 13:21

Sunday, Apr 23, 2017 at 13:21
Hi Bill

Have you looked at the SPOT 3 ?

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 610462

Reply By: Sigmund - Monday, Apr 24, 2017 at 07:12

Monday, Apr 24, 2017 at 07:12
I can see the pros in the Inreach units, cost aside. What I see as a real con (as in minus!) is that if you have to have a conversation I would expect hunt and peck would become old quickly. Eg. a conversation about a health crisis or about fixing a vehicle failure. You'll be under the pump; conditions will be difficult (if Murphy is along); you'll both need to be able to communicate clearly and succinctly; there's no hints to meaning from voice tone and rhythm and so on.

The big plus is 2 way comms of course, and that puts it in a category above Spots.
AnswerID: 610485

Sponsored Links