12V Heater Current Draw

Submitted: Thursday, Apr 27, 2017 at 12:08
ThreadID: 134743 Views:2808 Replies:8 FollowUps:12
This Thread has been Archived
Would someone please rate the current draw on this heater?

It does say not to run it for an extended period however, how long is that? Or how short is the 'safe' limit.

12v Heater

Thanks

bill
Bill B

Member
My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Les - PK Ranger - Thursday, Apr 27, 2017 at 12:32

Thursday, Apr 27, 2017 at 12:32
10 amp draw Bill, it's really going to drop charge on whatever battery you are using very fast.
Most items in that sort of range (12v ovens, compressors) require the engine to be running and charging a battery to ensure you don't flatten it.

What battery are you using, a main or aux . . . and what capacity, if you know (amp hrs) ?

You just want to warm up a space in a tent or camper before bedtime ?
AnswerID: 610599

Reply By: Keir & Marg - Thursday, Apr 27, 2017 at 12:35

Thursday, Apr 27, 2017 at 12:35
As per the link, in heating mode, the current draw is stated to be 10.1 Amps. As it's fitted with a cigarette lighter plug, check your car's handbook to see what it says about maximum current through the cigarette lighter plug. I've done an internet search on cigarette lighter plugs which suggests 8-10A maximum, but only for the time required to heat up the cigarette lighter itself!!! That would suggest that you remove the cigarette lighter plug from the heater and power it through a better plug and receptacle system with heavier cable (both supply and return). If you run the heater off a fully-charged 110A.hr secondary battery, you'll only get about 5 hours use before starting to damage the battery unless the car is running. Presumably you are looking at running the heater inside a van or tent when camping?
AnswerID: 610600

Reply By: Member - Boobook - Thursday, Apr 27, 2017 at 12:37

Thursday, Apr 27, 2017 at 12:37
Not enough to warm you up unless it's 35c outside.

You can only use them for a short period and they are completely useless.

12V battery heaters are not viable.

AnswerID: 610601

Follow Up By: Les - PK Ranger - Thursday, Apr 27, 2017 at 14:04

Thursday, Apr 27, 2017 at 14:04
Yes, many 12v appliances are gimmicks for sure.
I was after another 12v oven (a second one for trips) as they ARE so good for bakery items and reheating pre prepared meals . . .

Happened upon a 12v kettle 1.0lt, though, this might be ok for a couple of coffess at lunchtime, then I was the fine print . . . boil time for 2 cups approx 30 mins !!
0
FollowupID: 880548

Reply By: Member - bbuzz (NSW) - Thursday, Apr 27, 2017 at 12:50

Thursday, Apr 27, 2017 at 12:50
Thanks for the advice.

Thought it would be a bit tough on a battery.

Cheaper to put more clothes on!!!!!

bill
Bill B

Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 610603

Reply By: David G (WA) - Thursday, Apr 27, 2017 at 14:42

Thursday, Apr 27, 2017 at 14:42
Bill,
I have an older model of this unit I use in my camper trailer. It small and compact and heats the area quite well. Uses the propane cans you can buy anywhere, very happy with it.
http://outdoor.companionbrands.com.au/index.php?p=line&sid=1306130608

Cheers
David
AnswerID: 610606

Follow Up By: Les - PK Ranger - Thursday, Apr 27, 2017 at 16:18

Thursday, Apr 27, 2017 at 16:18
This would be a more viable alternative energy wise . . . but with carbon monoxide risks, you'd have to use it in a fairly well ventilated area, wouldn't you ??

Indeed I just found the PDF Instructions for Primus Heater on that link of yours David . . .

Page 2 of that document . . .
FOR OUTDOORS USE ONLY - ONLY USE IN
WELL VENTILATED AREAS.
This appliance shall only be used in an above
groundopenair situationwithnatural ventilation,
without stagnant areas, where gas leakage and
products of combustion are rapidly dispersed
by wind and natural convection.
CARBON MONOXIDE HAZARD — THIS
APPLIANCE CAN PRODUCE CARBON
MONOXIDE WHICH HAS NO ODOUR.
USING IT IN AN ENCLOSED SPACE (FOR
EXAMPLE, CARAVAN, TENT, CAR, MOBILE
HOME) MAY CAUSE DEATH.
This appliance is only to be used
on solid and stable horizontal
surfaces.
0
FollowupID: 880550

Follow Up By: David G (WA) - Thursday, Apr 27, 2017 at 17:42

Thursday, Apr 27, 2017 at 17:42
Yes, you would need a ventilated area but that is only common sense. A caravan might be a different thing, but a camper is not air tight.
I left a small opening in a zip to allow for air flow. We didn't use it while we slept only while watching TV or playing cards.
The comment on the instructions about outdoor only, use in well ventilated area seems to suggest that the outdoors is not well ventilated. I tried using the unit outside and could not keep it alight.
David
2
FollowupID: 880551

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Thursday, Apr 27, 2017 at 23:09

Thursday, Apr 27, 2017 at 23:09
There is still a carbon monoxide risk even in a camper trailer. It is for outdoor use only. Don't play Russian Roulette with you or your family's lives.
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

1
FollowupID: 880563

Follow Up By: Les - PK Ranger - Friday, Apr 28, 2017 at 07:16

Friday, Apr 28, 2017 at 07:16
Yes, still nights could be very risky, might be ok with a breeze blowing through, but what real use / benefit is the heater then ?
The one night the wind drops could be fatal, or perhaps lesser (but still disabling) damage as a result of CO.
CO is toxic above just 35 part per million.
0
FollowupID: 880566

Reply By: Hoyks - Thursday, Apr 27, 2017 at 19:34

Thursday, Apr 27, 2017 at 19:34
About all it would be good for is knocking the fog off the windscreen while you wait for the car motor to warm up and take over.

Anything with a heater element will suck down the electrons.
AnswerID: 610615

Reply By: Keith B2 - Thursday, Apr 27, 2017 at 21:37

Thursday, Apr 27, 2017 at 21:37
If it's for keeping warm at night, you might be better off with a 12 volt electric blanket. I have been looking at one of these, but have no idea if they are any good.
https://www.tektrek.com.au/12v-electric-blanket-comfy-cruise
Keith
AnswerID: 610623

Follow Up By: Les - PK Ranger - Friday, Apr 28, 2017 at 07:12

Friday, Apr 28, 2017 at 07:12
True, maybe Bill can elaborate on the intended use for some thoughts ?
Suitability of both ceramic and butane / propane heaters, or an electic blanket etc will vary a lot.
0
FollowupID: 880565

Follow Up By: Member - bbuzz (NSW) - Friday, Apr 28, 2017 at 09:16

Friday, Apr 28, 2017 at 09:16
If it was a proposition, I was only going to use it to heat up the van for a few hours before bed.
My missus has a pathological fear of electrical blankets......

bill
Bill B

Member
My Profile  Send Message

0
FollowupID: 880570

Follow Up By: Les - PK Ranger - Friday, Apr 28, 2017 at 09:25

Friday, Apr 28, 2017 at 09:25
It may be getting extreme, but possibly heater the bejesus out of the van / annex with something like this . . . HF15 heater, turn if off and retire some 15 - 20 minutes later could work ?
Think this would only need to be hooked up to LPG for a short while to do the job.

Might be worth costing up and talking to this supplier about it.

I am almost sure that ven though their ad says indoor heating on that page, and I have seen many a workshop run these things inside in winter to warm the work area (plus come to think of it, my brothers crash shop spray booth is lpg heated, don't think CO is filtered in the system) . . . I would still be very cautious of CO poisoning.
0
FollowupID: 880572

Reply By: The Bantam - Friday, Apr 28, 2017 at 08:53

Friday, Apr 28, 2017 at 08:53
The fact must be faced that heating anything with electricity is inefficient .... even 240v mains electricity with a limitless supply...... but as soon as you get to trying to heat something off 12V .... anything ..... heating becomes rediculoulsy impractical ..... generating and storing enough energy is the problem.

if you want to heat something .... you simply can not compete with burning some sort of fuel.

cheers
AnswerID: 610632

Follow Up By: garrycol - Friday, Apr 28, 2017 at 10:02

Friday, Apr 28, 2017 at 10:02
"The fact must be faced that heating anything with electricity is inefficient .... even 240v mains electricity"

Reverse cycle aircon runs on 240v and is extremely efficient.
0
FollowupID: 880573

Follow Up By: Les - PK Ranger - Friday, Apr 28, 2017 at 12:44

Friday, Apr 28, 2017 at 12:44
Well, really that is very typical in anything heating / cooling running 240v from 12v through an inverter, or running such direct 12v appliances.
0
FollowupID: 880580

Follow Up By: The Bantam - Friday, Apr 28, 2017 at 13:45

Friday, Apr 28, 2017 at 13:45
reverse cycle air conditioning IS NOT heating with electricity ....... it is pumping heat from one place to another ....... the heat already exists.

AND when it comes to producing a lot of heat ....... it is still more effective to burn something.

cheers
1
FollowupID: 880583

Follow Up By: garrycol - Friday, Apr 28, 2017 at 13:55

Friday, Apr 28, 2017 at 13:55
Turn off the 240v and the heat stops - so yes, it facilitates the generation of heat .
0
FollowupID: 880584

Sponsored Links

Popular Products (13)