Tommy camper

Submitted: Monday, May 01, 2017 at 08:24
ThreadID: 134773 Views:14550 Replies:6 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
We've been looking at a camper for extra cab ute which is easy set up with a full size bed and found Tommy campers made in Ballarat Vic online. Have had a look at one and it looks robust and well built but just wondering whether anyone has bought one and can provide your comments before we decide to buy.
Regards
Heather
Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt. John Muir

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: batsy - Monday, May 01, 2017 at 15:32

Monday, May 01, 2017 at 15:32
Heather, have not seen a Tommy Camper but have very recently seen a Tailgate Camper.([url=http://tailgatecampers.com.au]Tailgate Campers
Very well made, quite light & very quick to put up. It was on a Ford Ranger Extra Cab. I believe also Victorian made.
On a side note very glad too see you are still out enjoying life as you should.
Maybe another gathering will see us catch up again.
All the very best

Cheers
Batsy
Every day vertical above ground is a bonus.

AnswerID: 610719

Follow Up By: Member-Heather MG NSW - Tuesday, May 02, 2017 at 19:26

Tuesday, May 02, 2017 at 19:26
The camper needs to stay on the ute body and have space to carry fishing rods, tools and other gear when at home and also to be able to be set up on the roadside for a short sleep during the day when travelling, with minimal effort. Tommy campers are the only ones which we have found so far.
Thanks everyone for your answers so far.
Regards Heather

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 880716

Reply By: tuck - Monday, May 01, 2017 at 17:23

Monday, May 01, 2017 at 17:23
Also checkout Jacksons carry me Campers , have several new concepts
AnswerID: 610721

Reply By: Jerry D - Tuesday, May 02, 2017 at 08:39

Tuesday, May 02, 2017 at 08:39
Hi Heather,

We are in the same situation.
Love the idea of slide on camper.

Did look at Active Campers. Two models & very impressive.

After all the helpful info from this great forum the total weights are worry me.

Cheers
Jerry
AnswerID: 610737

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Tuesday, May 02, 2017 at 20:25

Tuesday, May 02, 2017 at 20:25
Hello Heather,

We have a slide-on for our single cab Landcruiser, that we've used a bit. In fact I lived in it for about 3 months, bit of a long story attached to that!

It has a double bed, kitchen on the near side, and room at the front for 2 batteries, 2 Engel fridges and a bit of other "stuff". Also has 2 storage areas in the bedroom, as well as 2 drawers under the bed. A pod juts over the cab which can hold light items. In fact, there is enough storage that would totally overload the vehicle if one was to use it all.

The canopy was made by the previous owner of Dynamic Engineering & Fabrication in Hervey Bay. The current owners have continued the good workmanship, and have added many improvements and innovations.

Be happy to answer any queries you might have about this. No, we're not selling. :-)

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 610753

Reply By: Member - Baz Sunshine Coast - Tuesday, May 02, 2017 at 22:04

Tuesday, May 02, 2017 at 22:04
Hi Heather
At the moment my wife and I are traveling in a slide on made in Brisbane by
Tongbox. Its our third effort and may suit your needs. We bought the flash one for an extra cab (TTL) I think. One of the deciding factors for us was it has a lockable security screen door that makes you feel safer when free camping or going for a walk etc. This model has more headroom so don't have to duck too much entering, this helps as not as supple anymore. I have fitted it out for this trip, but I just bought the empty shell . About $13,000.00 I think. All their models and information is on their website. They are really well made ,and manufactured in Brisbane not imported.
Hope this helps a bit Baz
AnswerID: 610757

Reply By: Member-Heather MG NSW - Thursday, May 04, 2017 at 15:28

Thursday, May 04, 2017 at 15:28
I've had a look at all those websites and they look interesting but Tommy seems to suit our needs and there is one only an hour away in a dealers yard. Just wanted to know whether anyone else had bought one.Thanks everyone. I know I've taken a while to respond but had a total knee replacement on Monday afternoon and am now recovering and doing rehab in Canberra private hospital.
Regards,
Heather

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 610779

Sponsored Links