Diemels Homestead

Submitted: Monday, May 01, 2017 at 16:46
ThreadID: 134776 Views:4335 Replies:7 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
We decided on our way home from our recent trip, we'd come home via Diemals to see how it looked since Tony's passing last year.

Very very sad to see that I'm assuming the mining company had just gone in and not just demolished or removed Tony's home but burnt it to the ground. The site now looks like a rubbish tip. Just piles of rubbish, burnt and unburnt. They obviously took what they wanted and just left an awful mess and eyesore behind.

There were quite a few dead cows around the yards area, which we assumed had been shot.

End of the era of stopping by for a cuppa tea and a yarn.
"Nothing that matters comes easy
Nothing that comes easy ever really matters"

My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: Phil B (WA) - Monday, May 01, 2017 at 17:50

Monday, May 01, 2017 at 17:50
So sad, Tony was a true gentleman and a legend.

On one occassion I met him on the Diemals Youami Rd, he had a flat on his truck and before changing the wheel he lit a fire in the middle of the road and boiled the billy.

There is a lot of difference between
‘Human Being’ and ‘Being Human’.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 610725

Reply By: Paul E6 - Tuesday, May 02, 2017 at 16:53

Tuesday, May 02, 2017 at 16:53
Some mining companies would do that to anyone if they could get away with it. Shoot the cattle? Geez.
AnswerID: 610743

Reply By: Member - Paul B (WA) - Tuesday, May 02, 2017 at 17:10

Tuesday, May 02, 2017 at 17:10
Why would we automatically leap to the conclusion the mining company has perpetrated this act?
AnswerID: 610744

Reply By: rocco2010 - Tuesday, May 02, 2017 at 18:20

Tuesday, May 02, 2017 at 18:20
a bit of background

ABC report
AnswerID: 610748

Reply By: Rod W6 - Wednesday, May 03, 2017 at 10:12

Wednesday, May 03, 2017 at 10:12
Yes I've had many a cuppa with Tony and lost 3-4hrs in doing so each time.
I use to think the house would have made a great rustic travellers base camp set up but when I wandered through it after Tony's passing I thought it would require a lot of work to make it safe.
Another bit of history gone.
See ya out there sometime.
Rod
AnswerID: 610762

Reply By: Dean K3 - Thursday, May 04, 2017 at 18:00

Thursday, May 04, 2017 at 18:00
Curious to know anywhere near aurora ranges ?

Thats the only area that may have mining activities occurring soon, find it rather interesting that a former federal minister is now a employee for same company that wants to mine aurora ranges.

speculating on how house shack was burnt down is purely that speculative deliberate chemical reaction fuel leak who knows even natural causes may have set it alight -lightening as example.

Sad to see it go but way it is same thing applies to house opposite yellowdine road house open to elements vandalism and should be preserved but know nothing will occur to it
AnswerID: 610783

Follow Up By: Austag - Thursday, May 04, 2017 at 21:07

Thursday, May 04, 2017 at 21:07
Dean, nope not lightning strike or vandalism. I didn't take photos of the rest of the property. All the sheds gone, signs of equipment tracks where stuff was pushed over, large holes dug and stuff piled into them, some burnt, some not.
"Nothing that matters comes easy
Nothing that comes easy ever really matters"

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 880790

Reply By: 109 - Saturday, May 06, 2017 at 06:27

Saturday, May 06, 2017 at 06:27
Cliffs (Windarling) had been given the 'job' of dealing with the cattle etc in 2012 on Diemals when the government took/stole the station back in the 2011 'claiming' that the cattle were being mistreated.

Anyone that visited with Tony would know he spent most of his time taking care of the bores/mills etc. Last visit he was transferring (via an old tanker truck) water to feed the animals around the homestead (since he no longer was responsible for the 'station'). My opinion was that he pissed off the government and Cliffs due to his stand on protecting the flora on the ranges (Windarling included) and that was the real reason for losing the station. Nothing as precious as a hole in the ground...

http://www.parliament.wa.gov.au/parliament/commit.nsf/(Evidence+Lookup+by+Com+ID)/81252519B152AB0148257CDA00033991/$file/pc.rhs.140328.sub.302.Pass.pdf is an interesting read to see how well Cliffs dealt with their responsibility dealing with the cattle after 2012.

Yep, we've lost a great bushman/character. I first met him in 2000 as a mate & I headed north from Pigeon Rocks - we drove right up to his homestead and he was out weeding his garden (seemed amusing for someone that was sitting on a whole station). He was all boggled with the GPS and laptop mapping we had running in the 4wd (somewhat early days for GPS back then!) and of course invited us in for a cuppa. We supplied the biscuits to go with the cuppa - must have chatted for a good 2-3 hours which on later trips made us realise how short a visit we got away with that first time :)

R.I.P. Tony McPherson, you wont soon be forgotten.

cheers,
george.
AnswerID: 610839

Sponsored Links