Adventure Linking Iconic Beadell Roads

Submitted: Tuesday, May 02, 2017 at 22:19
ThreadID: 134785 Views:3948 Replies:8 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Am I dreaming or would it be possible to do a round trip linking some of the Len Beadell built roads? Something like - Great Central Rd, Sandy Blight Junction Rd, Gary Junction Rd, Gary Hwy, Heather Hwy, Connie Sue Hwy, Anne Beadell Hwy & finish at Coober Pedy.

Vehicle is set up for remote area travel & there would be at least two vehicles on the trip. I am also aware of the many permits needed to travel on these roads.

Genuine feedback is welcomed from fellow travellers who may have driven these "roads" or indeed completed the round trip.

Thanks,
Rig.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: equinox - Tuesday, May 02, 2017 at 22:27

Tuesday, May 02, 2017 at 22:27
Sounds like a good trip Rig.
You're set up for remote travel and there area number of fuel stops on the way.

Tjukayirla
Warburton
Warakurna
Kintore
Kiwirrkurra
Maybe Kunawarritji depending on how much fuel you carry
Warburton again
Ilkurlka

Keep your water topped up and have some decent comms if things go pearhaped.

Cheers
Alan

Looking for adventure.
In whatever comes our way.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 610758

Follow Up By: Member - RIG - Wednesday, May 03, 2017 at 12:26

Wednesday, May 03, 2017 at 12:26
Thanks for the info & advice Alan, I carry a sat phone & extra fuel capability is not a problem.

Best Regards
Rig
FollowupID: 880740

Reply By: ian - Tuesday, May 02, 2017 at 23:35

Tuesday, May 02, 2017 at 23:35
Rig,
I have been lucky enough to travel all those roads. Its not difficult and the permits are relatively easy. No reason at all why you can't do it. Just hop in your car and go.
Consider how much time you have to do it at a comfortable pace, and maybe not do it all in one go if it means rushing.
See you out there.
ian
AnswerID: 610759

Follow Up By: Member - RIG - Wednesday, May 03, 2017 at 12:31

Wednesday, May 03, 2017 at 12:31
Thanks Ian, definitely agree on the not rushing advice. Currently working on a relaxed approximate time frame.

Best Regards
Rig
FollowupID: 880741

Reply By: splits - Wednesday, May 03, 2017 at 09:30

Wednesday, May 03, 2017 at 09:30
You don't have to be dreaming about driving on those roads or wondering if it is possible. I have driven over most of them without any trouble at all in a stock standard Hilux ( except for a front auto locking diff ) with its stock 205x16 tyres on the same pressures that I left home with. They were as per the Toyota handbook.

The auto locking diff was installed for mountain driving where it made a huge difference. I don't think it made all that much difference on desert tracks.

The key points are don't go if the roads are wet or rain is expected. Leave time limits at home. Be prepared to take as long as it takes. Don't overload the car. Drive to the conditions and forget about cruising speeds.

My car was always well under GVM and you should be able to do the same. Most of the problems people encounter in those conditions are self created. Modern 4wds are not designed to break in those conditions, it is the drivers who break them.

I did not have any tyre problems but that is most likely due to good luck than good management. Big holes that can not be repaired with temporary plugs are a possibility. There is a lot of good information on this site.Tyre repairs and trip reports Read their trip reports and see what happened and how they fixed them.

Lifestyle Video Productions have an excellent twin pack three hour DVD covering those roads. It is titled "Desert Highways. The roads of Len Beadell". It will give you a good idea of what they are like as well as a lot on the history of them. DVD

AnswerID: 610761

Follow Up By: Member - RIG - Wednesday, May 03, 2017 at 13:23

Wednesday, May 03, 2017 at 13:23
Great advice & links Splits thankyou.

I am looking at travelling from mid July however need to find at least one more vehicle / crew to travel the remote area's with. I have done a lot of solo travel but the risk over reward alarm is telling me no solo travel for this adventure.

Best Regards
Rig

FollowupID: 880742

Follow Up By: HKB Electronics - Wednesday, May 03, 2017 at 15:49

Wednesday, May 03, 2017 at 15:49
We did similar a couple of years back around the same time, great trip lots of wildflowers etc. We travelled as a group of 6 cars, two towing Tvans and us towing a Vista. We bumped into a solo couple with a well set up rig (similar to your rig) doing it by themselves and they had no trouble. Will go back and do it solo one day. You'll probably pass 5 or more groups during your trip it is quite busy.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 880744

Follow Up By: Member - ACD 1 - Friday, May 05, 2017 at 21:12

Friday, May 05, 2017 at 21:12
Rig

If you are trying to get a travel companion, why not put up a Gathering / Trip post (under members on the menu). Never know your luck.

Cheers

Anthony
FollowupID: 880828

Reply By: Member - Robyn R4 - Wednesday, May 03, 2017 at 18:01

Wednesday, May 03, 2017 at 18:01
...and, technical stuff aside, if you haven't read any/all/ some of his books you have got to do that!
The sort of bloke I'd have loved to share a campfire with.
Robyn :)
AnswerID: 610772

Reply By: IvanTheTerrible - Wednesday, May 03, 2017 at 18:56

Wednesday, May 03, 2017 at 18:56
Gary is a goat track for half of it. Allow plenty of time.
AnswerID: 610773

Reply By: Member - Steve G14 - Friday, May 05, 2017 at 17:08

Friday, May 05, 2017 at 17:08
We have travelled some of the roads you mention with little trouble and have on our bucket list to complete the following Len B's roads - Connie Sue, Gary H'way, Talawan track (Windy Hill to Georgia Bore).
There is no problem to repeat some with good company. We have a landcruiser 200 series (2008 model) and an Annexe tent. Would be interested to communicate further if interested.
Regards
Steve G14
SteveG14

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 610825

Follow Up By: Member - Steve G14 - Sunday, May 07, 2017 at 11:26

Sunday, May 07, 2017 at 11:26
Gooday Rig
as indicated earlier we are interested in doing trip.
our vehicle is well fitted out, long range fuel tank (273 L) sat phone, CB radio (80Ch) etc
can we talk further?
regards
Steve G14
SteveG14

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 880863

Reply By: Baz - The Landy - Monday, May 08, 2017 at 07:26

Monday, May 08, 2017 at 07:26
Hi Rig

Following is a copy of my Blog covering the Anne Beadell and Sandy Blight Track.

Anne Beadell and Sandy Blight Tracks.

I've also travelled the other tracks you mentioned.

It is all possible - the key to a successful trip is good planning before travelling through the front gate at home.

It sounds like you have it covered with the vehicle and the way you are approaching it, and whilst you are indicating two vehicles will be travelling, a competent person with the right vehicle and plan could do this solo.

Many do...

Enjoy and look forward to hearing of your adventure.

Cheers, Baz - The Landy
AnswerID: 610903

Reply By: rlhydn - Wednesday, May 10, 2017 at 09:35

Wednesday, May 10, 2017 at 09:35
We're planning a similar (reversed) trip in June, solo.
Looking forward to it, must not forget the camera or tea bags....
AnswerID: 610991

Sponsored Links