Birdsville to Innamincka Via Arrabury Road

Submitted: Thursday, May 04, 2017 at 11:19
ThreadID: 134789 Views:5331 Replies:1 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,

will be attending the Big Red Bash in July and am enquiry about Arrabury Road. Plans at the moment is to come down Arrabury Rd but I am enquiring about the amount and size of gibber on the road. Has anyone recently travelled the road?

I know road conditions can change in an instant and also intend on asking fellow BRB's who may have travelled it on the way to the event. Just trying to get some current info.

Cheers and Thanks Kerry
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Friday, May 05, 2017 at 23:58

Friday, May 05, 2017 at 23:58
Bit short on info apparently Kerry?

I travelled up this road from Innamincka, on way home to Winton in Nov. '15. Road surface was a bit ordinary closer to Innamincka, until you hit the bitumen at the border. Once over the Cooper, it is/was a good, well maintained road pretty much right till you meet the Windorah - Birdsville road.

There's a stretch of bitumen as you climb up through the Saint Ann Range. It is a stony surface, but speeds of 80-90 and good tyres should see you travel okay. I didn't have any dramas though it was a lousy day, with strong winds, blowing dust and later rain in the arvo.

Bit late now but might dig up a few photos to post tomorrow.

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 610837

Follow Up By: Member - There Yet - Saturday, May 06, 2017 at 14:42

Saturday, May 06, 2017 at 14:42
Thanks very much Bob,

Glad that some one could give me some info. That helps with plan A of the trip.

Cheers Kerry
FollowupID: 880850

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Sunday, May 07, 2017 at 15:23

Sunday, May 07, 2017 at 15:23
The lap top was a bit slow to crank up yesterday, Kerry.

Was extremely dry when I travelled through there. Should look a lot better now.

Bob

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 880872

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Sunday, May 07, 2017 at 15:32

Sunday, May 07, 2017 at 15:32
Just a few hints for the BRB Kerry, if you haven't been before?

Take a porta-potti, and shower tent to house the po, to make life so much better for you and your family.

When camping, go as far east as you can, and take the first "road" that heads east. ie: keep your camp well to the south-east corner of the campground. That way you will have reduced dust levels, and the traffic should be at a minimum.

Need torches for walking at night, the ground is quite uneven, and it is/would be easy to sprain an ankle, or worse.

Enjoy, it's quite an experience. Wish we were going this year but have a desert trip on a few days later.

Bob

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 880873

Follow Up By: Member - There Yet - Sunday, May 07, 2017 at 15:54

Sunday, May 07, 2017 at 15:54
Thanks for the advice Bob, great photos. Much appreciated.

Kerry
FollowupID: 880874

Follow Up By: Les - PK Ranger - Sunday, May 07, 2017 at 19:35

Sunday, May 07, 2017 at 19:35
Kerry, if you haven't been there, you'll be a stones throw from Haddons Corner too, well worth a visit to bag one of our 5 corners.
FollowupID: 880877

Follow Up By: Baz - The Landy - Monday, May 08, 2017 at 09:45

Monday, May 08, 2017 at 09:45
Hey Bob!

That is a favourite view of mine looking out to the Saint Ann range from the Arrabury Road...

Cheers, Baz
FollowupID: 880893

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Monday, May 08, 2017 at 19:52

Monday, May 08, 2017 at 19:52
Yeah, impressed me too, even in its less than desirable condition, Baz. That's why I had to pull off the road to get a few images. Was a lousy day at that time too, with strong winds, blowing dust and scattered cloud making everything a bit sombre.

November is not an ideal time to travel that country, where heat can be a very uncomfortable companion. Did love the rolling ridges further up near Arrabury, often with views for miles. Bad end for that day too! Heavy storm at Diamantina Lakes and I got my new ute muddy, was really p!ssed.

How's retirement going? It has its pluses, and not many negatives if your health is good. Gotta enjoy it, only get one go at it, eh?

Bob

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 880917

Sponsored Links