Installing an immobiliser on a diesel

Submitted: Saturday, Jun 05, 2004 at 07:59
ThreadID: 13479 Views:6532 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All,

YAY!!! We have a 4WD again :-). Even came to find it through Exploroz. 1991 Hilux 4WD SR5 crewcab

Its time for security. I want to fit an immobiliser for protection. What are the best circuits to connect to. I have fitted an immobiliser to a petrol troopy, but there seems to be a lot less options for a diesel looking at the wiring diagrams. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your help...
Michael and Mary
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Toonfish - Saturday, Jun 05, 2004 at 09:44

Saturday, Jun 05, 2004 at 09:44
two ways i know of are splitting the fuel pump line for the immoboliser wiring or through ignition like most cars.
you doing it yourself or auto elec?

most insurance companies prefer auto elec or at least an immob fitted.

cheers
AnswerID: 61812

Reply By: Member Eric - Saturday, Jun 05, 2004 at 09:48

Saturday, Jun 05, 2004 at 09:48
Just write on the window , this is a diesel . This will stop crooks in the tracks fpr wanting it as a get away car lol .

On a serious not mate , Fuel pump is only a option if your running electric pump
AnswerID: 61813

Reply By: Davoe - Saturday, Jun 05, 2004 at 11:08

Saturday, Jun 05, 2004 at 11:08
I think all my imobiliser does is isolate the ignition (tojo 2h) when my edic motor was stuffed i could drive it with the ignition off (better radio reception) and the immobaliser on
AnswerID: 61817

Follow Up By: V8troopie - Sunday, Jun 06, 2004 at 00:36

Sunday, Jun 06, 2004 at 00:36
A neat way with the 2h motor is to fit a secret switch that mimics the EDIC motor off setting. I also fitted a flashing red LED in the dash that came on when this switch was engaged.
In addition, another secret switch that disables the power to the starter solenoid. The starter relay still would click when the ignition key is turned but the starter itself never comes on - fooled many mechanics with that one.
To stop the bastards getting into your car with the packing tape trick, fit (pop rivet) narrow ss strips bent like this _|-|_ over the pull knobs on the door. If you make them so that the top of the strip is just above the pulled up knob and the vertical sides are quite close it is impossible to loop the tape over the knob through the door rubber gap.
Mind you, the RAC won't be able to open the troopie either if you lock you keys in so hide a spare in a magnetic box at some clever place under the car.
Klaus
FollowupID: 323323

Reply By: Vinnie - Saturday, Jun 05, 2004 at 23:22

Saturday, Jun 05, 2004 at 23:22
I dunno why but I would drive about 1km and my Mav diesel would cut out and stop dead until we found the immobilizer was the prob. I have it disconnected now as no one had any idea on a fixit.
AnswerID: 61907

Sponsored Links