Road conditions Marble Bar

Submitted: Saturday, May 06, 2017 at 12:49
ThreadID: 134801 Views:3371 Replies:6 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Can anyone who has driven the Newman - Nullagine - Marble Bar road in the last few days report on it's condition please,

Phil
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Dean K3 - Saturday, May 06, 2017 at 18:06

Saturday, May 06, 2017 at 18:06
Shire of east pilbara will have the info PDF current as of 5th may but can't link it here

http://www.eastpilbara.wa.gov.au/

also check out

https://www.mainroads.wa.gov.au/UsingRoads/RoadTrafficInformation/roadworks/Pages/regionalworks.aspx
AnswerID: 610849

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Saturday, May 06, 2017 at 19:06

Saturday, May 06, 2017 at 19:06
Here's the road report - doesn't really state the "condition" of the road - just if its open or closed

cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 880858

Reply By: rocco2010 - Saturday, May 06, 2017 at 18:32

Saturday, May 06, 2017 at 18:32
Gidday

Have put in a call to a contact in Marble Bar. hopefully can get you some info.

Other than that I would say this is one of my favourite drives. Lovely Pilbara country and it should be looking good after good summer rains. Last year it was dry as chips and there had been quite a few fires.

Usually a pretty good outback road, maybe some extra care needed at the many creek crossings after the rains

Cheers

AnswerID: 610852

Reply By: rocco2010 - Saturday, May 06, 2017 at 20:44

Saturday, May 06, 2017 at 20:44
Report from Marble Bar was "all good".

But I guess that's relative. What's all good for them (and me) might not be for someone who doesn't stray too far off the bitumen

If you venture that way I hope you enjoy it.

Cheers

AnswerID: 610860

Reply By: Member - J&A&KK - Sunday, May 07, 2017 at 00:14

Sunday, May 07, 2017 at 00:14
I suggest you ring the locals. The road carries a lot of mining vehicle traffic and is usually in very good condition. FMG has a major rail route along the section of road north of Hope Downs and I believe they have spent money on the road.

We did it last in 2015 in June, towing an off road 2.2t van and the road was first class. The region has had rain in the past month so best to actually check with the locals. Personally I would be surprised if the road was not in good condition. However I have been surprised previously.

Cheers John
AnswerID: 610867

Reply By: Joe Fury - Sunday, May 07, 2017 at 20:33

Sunday, May 07, 2017 at 20:33
G'day Phil and fellow Explorers

The Marble Bar road from the Newman end right through to the rail crossing that comes from Gina Rinehart's ~ Roy Hill mining operations was/is open to all traffic when I last drove out to the Ophthalmia Dam just after the rains that fell in the region about 10 days back.

There is a fairly short section of the road that is gravel and it has had some grader scratching done to keep this piece of dirt road open, this 4 to 6 kilometre section of hot property is at the turn off to Ginbatta airport this is Ms Rinehart's airport that caters for the Roy Hill mine Fly in Fly out minions, the Fortescue Metals Group (FMG) turn off to FMG's Christmas creek iron ore mining operations is also off this short section of dirt ~ now you know why it's hot property!

The Marble Bar road is sealed right through to Gina Rinehart's rail crossing and the rail line that parallels the Marble Bar road almost to Bonney Downs Station and at a second rail crossing on the Marble Bar road the rail corridore heads out to the Roy Hill mine port facilities, so it's the Roy Hill mine's rail system along the Marble Bar road, from the second rail crossing it's pretty much dirt all the way to Nullagine and from Nullagine up to the Ripon Hills road is a guess on my part as I've not been to the Bar in the last couple of years.

If you wish to know more detail regarding the condition of the road contact the Newman Visitor Centre on 08 9175 2888 ask for Barbra O'Driscoll who is the centre manager and a local lady.

I too am happy to give anyone who Explores Oz information including images by simply fielding a question about the inland Pilbara and I will respond as soon as I can, yes I am a local bloke too.

Safe travels : Joe

AnswerID: 610894

Reply By: lkyphl - Sunday, May 07, 2017 at 21:03

Sunday, May 07, 2017 at 21:03
Thanks, Joe,

I know the road well, but had no knowledge as to it's current condition ; I had heard the "topsoil had been washed away, and there were sections of the road that were now just bedrock", so thought I'd ask before travelling up that way with van(s).
I would expect maintenance would happen pretty quickly on such an important road,

Phil
AnswerID: 610897

Follow Up By: Joe Fury - Monday, May 08, 2017 at 00:40

Monday, May 08, 2017 at 00:40
G'day Phil

No problem mate, just give Barbra O'Driscoll a call, she man not have driven the road in yonks but there are dozens of people who call in to the NVC daily and trust me my friend everyone of them has a story to tell ~ even about the Marble Bar road.

Safe travels : Joe
FollowupID: 880888

Sponsored Links