ISUZU M UX

Submitted: Monday, May 08, 2017 at 13:36
ThreadID: 134815 Views:4957 Replies:9 FollowUps:12
This Thread has been Archived
We are about to buy a new M UX, any clues on aftermarket versus getting the genuine put on at sale? Such as a snorkel, tow bar etc. We are already negotiating a deal on wheels and tyres for off road. We will also put in lifting springs. We are not sure to go the new one, top of the range or last years model. It has taken us some time to agree on what car we wanted and this seemed the best option for money for us. Any ideas as to what we should put on it other than what I have mentioned? TIA
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Michael H9 - Monday, May 08, 2017 at 14:39

Monday, May 08, 2017 at 14:39
There was an issue with the Dmax where a lift caused the rear uni joint to have too big an angle causing failure and warranty knock back. I don't know if it applies to an MUX but I would check with Isuzu before doing one. Often, genuine snorkels aren't waterproof as well.
AnswerID: 610918

Follow Up By: Life Member - Duncan W (WA) - Monday, May 08, 2017 at 14:45

Monday, May 08, 2017 at 14:45
Michael from what I've read on the Isuzu forum this is mainly an issue with a lift greater than 50mm and owners are getting the dropped diff kit installed to overcome the problems at the CV joints.

Cheers

Dunc.
Dunc
Make sure you give back more than you take

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 880906

Reply By: Life Member - Duncan W (WA) - Monday, May 08, 2017 at 14:43

Monday, May 08, 2017 at 14:43
Hi Julie I'm also looking at the MUX-LS-T. I checked out prices of accessories at ARB and their online priced catalogue was very helpful.
Also go to the Isuzu forum (Oz Isuzu -http://www.ozisuzu.com.au/index.php ) there is a mountain of information available.

Cheers

Dunc
Dunc
Make sure you give back more than you take

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 610919

Reply By: Sigmund - Monday, May 08, 2017 at 15:09

Monday, May 08, 2017 at 15:09
'Genuine' will cost you much more and is often sourced from aftermarket suppliers anyway. I speak as a MUX owner.
AnswerID: 610921

Follow Up By: Sigmund - Monday, May 08, 2017 at 15:12

Monday, May 08, 2017 at 15:12
Go for the beefed up model - 16.5? and 17 - if you plan any towing. The extra power and cog will be very useful.
FollowupID: 880909

Reply By: cruza25 - Monday, May 08, 2017 at 15:13

Monday, May 08, 2017 at 15:13
https://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/details/Isuzu-MU-X-2016/OAG-AD-14350835

Don't know where you are but this caught my eye the other day when I was browsing Carsales
In a dealer at Picton in wa

Too far away from me

Cheers
Mike
AnswerID: 610922

Reply By: Julie S2 - Monday, May 08, 2017 at 15:16

Monday, May 08, 2017 at 15:16
Thanks for the info, I am just waiting to be accepted into the forum. Our lift would be no greater than the 50mm you suggested. Just not sure about doing the other stuff ourselves, like outfitting it with after market stuff. I am sure my husband can do it, but where to source the bits at a better price would be good to know and if there are any issues in doing this.
AnswerID: 610923

Follow Up By: Kazza055 - Monday, May 08, 2017 at 15:58

Monday, May 08, 2017 at 15:58
Julie, I purchased a new D-Max back in 2014 and had all the bells and whistles included in the purchase price.

I specified the canopy and bullbar but everything else I left up to the dealer. The prices I was quoted were very good and saved me a lot of running around - everything was done and dusted by the time I picked it up.

One thing to consider is your weights, I worked out that by the time I had everything fitted, filled the tank, added the ball weight and all the goodies I would have in the back for touring, and I was 20kg over the allowable payload.

As a result I had an ARB GVM upgrade included which increased the payload by 270kg. The advantage of doing this pre rego is that it is recognised nationally, doing it after rego is only recognised in your home state.

Here is another forum for you to look into - New D-Max/MUX
FollowupID: 880911

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Monday, May 08, 2017 at 17:24

Monday, May 08, 2017 at 17:24
"As a result I had an ARB GVM upgrade included which increased the payload by 270kg. The advantage of doing this pre rego is that it is recognised nationally, doing it after rego is only recognised in your home state."

Just to clarify that. If you do the GVM upgrade after first rego, it is accepted in all states while you are travelling, so you should not get pinged for being over original GVM (as long as you're below the increased GVM). If you do get done the copper doesn't know the rules and you can dispute it.

The problem arises when you want to sell the vehicle. That is when the upgrade is only recognised in the state where it was done. If you sell it interstate, the buyer will have to get it re-certified in that state.

Clearly it's better to get the upgrade done pre first rego.
FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 880914

Follow Up By: Kazza055 - Monday, May 08, 2017 at 18:47

Monday, May 08, 2017 at 18:47
You are 100% correct, if you need to have the vehicle registered in another state it needs to have the engineering re-done.

Because mine was done pre rego, it was actually the very first thing done to the car so the engineering was based on the stock standard of the showroom floor vehicle. After rego the engineering needs to take into account all the accessories that you have had added so it is based on an individual car rather than the standard and hence will cost you more.

FollowupID: 880916

Reply By: Julie S2 - Monday, May 08, 2017 at 16:41

Monday, May 08, 2017 at 16:41
Thanks, very good point. will definitely keep this in mind, now you have mentioned it.
AnswerID: 610926

Reply By: RMD - Monday, May 08, 2017 at 19:39

Monday, May 08, 2017 at 19:39
Probably the towbar will be essential for the towing of trailers and vans.
If not going off road to ford deep streams or following someone far too closely, it is unlikely you will ever need a snorkel.
If having a snorkel fitted to either new or Secondhand, the integrity of the fitter is the only thing which ensures a proper sealing of all relevent joints in the intake system. Preparing the hole with sealer and rust proffing is often not done by professional fitters.
What is wrong with the OE wheels? they shouldn't need to be replaced at all, but tyres may need upgarding depending on what style of off road use you propose.
The lift is good to have but again has to be done sensibly by competent fitters.
Have a look at Newdmax.net or Ozisuzu forum. May have to register. These people own and use MUX all the time, mod them and add accessories. Far more info on there than Exploroz, good as it is, those sites are more specialized.
Just horses for courses.
AnswerID: 610934

Reply By: JR - Monday, May 08, 2017 at 22:06

Monday, May 08, 2017 at 22:06
A strong recommendation to go the my15.5 if you can find one.
It doesnt have the dpf setup, extra exhaust filter, this is a long term expense and saps power and efficiency
Extra Nm and 6 speed doesnt show up mich and some saying older gearbox better.
AnswerID: 610940

Reply By: Sigmund - Tuesday, May 09, 2017 at 05:44

Tuesday, May 09, 2017 at 05:44
I couldn't see the value in the LST. Went for the LSU. I don't like the feel of and maintenance with leather and the satnav maps aren't good enough for my offroad nav needs. Load capacity of the roof rails isn't great.

I would avoid the 18" wheels on the MY17 - not good for offroading.
AnswerID: 610946

Follow Up By: Julie S2 - Tuesday, May 09, 2017 at 09:12

Tuesday, May 09, 2017 at 09:12
not interested in 18 inch wheels and they have offered the 17 steel rims. We are going off road and into the desert, we do want it for hard off road, not soft.
Not worried about sat nav, as we always carry maps in any case, used to doing it the old fashioned way. Getting the LST was not much more than getting last years model, so can't see the point in doing that. Would go second hand, but its the time factor. Looking around for one we like and trust. We are in a hurry to get another car right now and just can't wait. Thanks for the info
FollowupID: 880925

Follow Up By: Sigmund - Tuesday, May 09, 2017 at 09:44

Tuesday, May 09, 2017 at 09:44
Cool.
I did 17000 kms on the last outback trip inc 2500 of dirt. The MUX got a hammering and did very well.

One headsup is re shocks in your lift kit. Long stretches of corrugations and desert moguls are very hard on them. Basic units will fail. 25% early failure rate in my case. Am having a good run with Dobinson MRRs so far.
FollowupID: 880930

Follow Up By: Julie S2 - Tuesday, May 09, 2017 at 09:54

Tuesday, May 09, 2017 at 09:54
We plan on at least that mileage on dirt etc. Good idea to upgrade both the shocks and the springs at same time I guess. My husband is trying to find out about roof rack weights etc also. IT is just so hard to know what to get. The LSU or LST. So much advice on both. A choice we have to make soon.
FollowupID: 880931

Follow Up By: Sigmund - Tuesday, May 09, 2017 at 10:16

Tuesday, May 09, 2017 at 10:16
Yeah.Well, what's the price difference? About 5 grand? That buys a lot of accessories and mods.

The LST rails only carry about 60 kg from memory. You need to lop around a third off that if you're going rough-road or offroad. If that's not enough then you're looking at an aftermarket cross-bar type or a tradie rack.

Yes, if you're going for taller or stiffer springs the shocks should match. When I got the Dobinson lift kit the standard front shocks supplied didn't have nearly enough rebound damping since they were the same for their 3 kits, and that made the darn thing dangerous in the rough. Maybe they're better now - but still questionable in terms of durability.
FollowupID: 880933

Follow Up By: Julie S2 - Tuesday, May 09, 2017 at 10:31

Tuesday, May 09, 2017 at 10:31
Is it better to get the lesser model, then get a factory roof rack fitted, such as rhino racks and get it professionally done, to carry more weight? Is this possible and will it cause any issues? Just wondering if the cost of this will be more than the savings on buying the LST! We are close to a deal and just need to make the final decision.
FollowupID: 880935

Follow Up By: Sigmund - Tuesday, May 09, 2017 at 10:54

Tuesday, May 09, 2017 at 10:54
In my opinion yes, and properly done you will have much better carrying capacity and it should be reliable.

40 kgs isn't much. You've got to add a basket or cross rails and those eat into that. You are looking at being able to carry no more than a second spare and a full jerry.

That said, outback and in the mountains there's a lot to be said for keeping the load up top to a minimum: less drag and fewer problems due to a raised centre of gravity.

Outback the things most likely to fail are the bolt-ons. Clearly some accessory makers don't do testing out there so there's value in the KISS principle.

Good luck with your buy.
Don't sweat - you'll likely have to change things anyway!
It's a good idea to do a shake-down cruise before embarking on your outback odyssey.
FollowupID: 880936

Follow Up By: Kazza055 - Tuesday, May 09, 2017 at 11:30

Tuesday, May 09, 2017 at 11:30
I have the D-Max LST with the fitted bars and they are a PITA as they are curved rather than flat.

Also the SAT NAV is the only thing I can really complain about with the map updates being completely out of date (current ones are 2014) and then they expect me to pay $150 for the privilege of having outdated maps.

Love the leather and climate control AC.
FollowupID: 880937

Sponsored Links