Ayr to Airlie Beach-tenting with a dog

Submitted: Thursday, May 11, 2017 at 22:00
ThreadID: 134845 Views:2377 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Desperately seeking ideas on camping sites along a stretch of the Qld coast that we'd like to explore further.
Our beloved home-made camper trailer had to go when we needed to fit my (late) father's belongings into our house and garage last year so we are back to holidaying in a tent.
I have a great book "Bush Camping with Dogs" but I don't know how suitable the sites are for tents (eg a roadside stop with ground like concrete is not really great for tent pegs!). We used to just pull in anywhere with the trailer but the tent needs a bit more consideration...
We will be unfortunately be travelling during the 2nd week of the Qld July school holidays. Normally this does not faze us because we're usually out west but, as coastal residents ourselves, we know the coast can be awful for accommodation in most spots.
Can anyone suggest spots that we could camp in, for 1,2,3 nights as we explore the Ayr to Airlie Beach stretch? We happily do caravan parks and bush camping.
Bundaberg is about 5 hours from here (night one) so any suggestions from Bundy to Ayr would be very much appreciated.
We have dual range 4WD, a simple tent and a small dog.

Many thanks.

:) Robyn

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Les - PK Ranger - Thursday, May 11, 2017 at 22:28

Thursday, May 11, 2017 at 22:28
Robyn, I guess it's going to be difficult for many comments on the tent peg / ground aspects of your questions, but if you have a smart phone, find and download the app Wikicamps (small cost, but very good value / worthwhile).

It is built with the input of people that buy the app, huge amount of input by backpackers over the years too (they use it a lot), and it has a good number of free camps listed Aust wide, usually with symbols such as pets ok, and often pics so you might be able to see how suitable a place is.

I just had a quick look, there are plenty of sites shown both on hwy and off, many free and pets ok.
AnswerID: 611053

Reply By: Member - Bigfish - Friday, May 12, 2017 at 13:20

Friday, May 12, 2017 at 13:20
Hideaway caravan park near airlie beach is quite good. Walking distance to beach and fairly quiet.
AnswerID: 611068

Reply By: Member - Robyn R4 - Friday, May 12, 2017 at 21:57

Friday, May 12, 2017 at 21:57
Thank you to you both.
Will take it all on board.

Maybe it was the "control freak" in me that is having a hard time adjusting to life without 4 secure walls around me and thus the freedom to go almost anywhere!!

:)
AnswerID: 611086

Follow Up By: Les - PK Ranger - Saturday, May 13, 2017 at 11:54

Saturday, May 13, 2017 at 11:54
No worries Robyn, you'll be fine in the tent :)
If you get Wikicmaps, just watch highway free camps listed, often backpackers etc aren't too fussed about surroundings, you will find listings such as 'gravel pit' where local roadworks dump a pile of gravel etc for roadworks, but there are many good camps listed, and although not sure about the app cost, think it is still well under $10 ($7.95 I think it was when I bought it).
FollowupID: 881086

Reply By: Member - Robyn R4 - Saturday, May 13, 2017 at 20:10

Saturday, May 13, 2017 at 20:10
Is that all?!
Will do!

We usually holiday out west with 4 walls and the grey nomad technique of "yep, pulling up just off into that clearing will do" and "will we still go that way tomorrow or will we change our mind and go that way instead" and "will we stay on another few days"...
For the moment we will be holidaying on the coast with the more important "we'd better find somewhere to push in a few tent pegs or we'll have to sleep in the car"!

Thanks again!

:)
AnswerID: 611095

Sponsored Links