Emergency + (plus)

Submitted: Wednesday, May 17, 2017 at 17:52
ThreadID: 134882 Views:3843 Replies:6 FollowUps:10
This Thread has been Archived
Hi,
I was just listening to the arvo programme on the ABC (Brisbane)
Programme host started talking about a girl who was with her grandmother when she (grandmother) had a fall and injured herself.
The granddaughter called 000 and the operator talked her through the process of downloading 'Emergency +' on her smartphone.
This app gave the ambo's the GPS coordinates of her exact location, so they could attend and perform the marvellous work/service that they do!
My suggestion, go to the App store do a search for Emergency + and download (its free) from this app you can access 000 (ambo's fire & police) the SES & the police assistance line (non urgent) where ever you have phone coverage.
When you download this app and you go to the homepage your GPS coordinates are there so you can relay them to the operator for quicker (hopefully) response!
This will/would be very beneficial when your travelling in an area that your not familiar with
This app is available for both IOS & Android.

Stay safe!
Insanity doesnt run in my family.... it gallops!

My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 2 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Wednesday, May 17, 2017 at 20:10

Wednesday, May 17, 2017 at 20:10
Hi Tony

Sound good, but get away from phone coverage and it will only cause more stress for those involved when there is no phone reception and your phone is useless.

Best and most reliable piece of safety gear to have on you is a PLB and or a SPOT.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 611170

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Wednesday, May 17, 2017 at 20:45

Wednesday, May 17, 2017 at 20:45
Hi Stephen

We don't have a smart phone so it would be a bit hard to go to the app store whatever that is etc etc etc

Agree with the lack of coverage comment as we are usually off the grid when remote. But I disagree about what is the best approach. Horses for courses mate.

Phil
FollowupID: 881193

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Thursday, May 18, 2017 at 14:13

Thursday, May 18, 2017 at 14:13
This is an interesting predicament and I was only just discussing this with my dad a few weeks ago (he is aged 72 and is very adventurous - sailor, scuba diver, 4WDriver, MTB and road bike rider and a retired scientist so he thinks about safety a lot). He asked me: what would you did if you fell off your MTB here in this bush, and got bitten by a tiger snake. You have your phone but the operator wants to know your exact position - how can you tell them? I said I would open the ExplorOz Traveller app on my phone by pressing the icon and the home screen will show my GPS position as coordinates at the bottom - I can read out to the emergency operator on the other end.

There is another way to do it too - you can take a photo on your phone at your emergency and open the image then (on my phone, I can press the 3 dots at the top and there's a list of options - I select the top one "More Info" and this gives me the image info - date, camera details, location (listed as GPS coordinators) and if you are in service, a google map showing your location and the street address.
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 611180

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Thursday, May 18, 2017 at 16:24

Thursday, May 18, 2017 at 16:24
Yes it is a valid point and exactly why modified Ozi to show the location on the top of the main screen.

Just two or three buttons plus the number on my Satphone sends an sms with the location in it.

Anyone can see it and the instructions on how to send the SMS are on the back of the phone.

In a remote area and bitten by a tiger snake - say your last prayers!

Phil
FollowupID: 881212

Follow Up By: Member - nick b - Thursday, May 18, 2017 at 21:24

Thursday, May 18, 2017 at 21:24
what would be a great feature is to be able to use gps cords & send out somehow via satellite etc for help when not in phone coverage area
Cheers Nick b

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 881227

Follow Up By: Member - ACD 1 - Thursday, May 18, 2017 at 21:39

Thursday, May 18, 2017 at 21:39
Inmarsat sat phones have this feature already.

The phone knows where it is and you can send you GPS location via text message.

Other sat phones probably have the same feature, but I'm not sure.

Cheers

Anthony
FollowupID: 881228

Follow Up By: Idler Chris - Thursday, May 18, 2017 at 22:36

Thursday, May 18, 2017 at 22:36
Hi Michelle, I am also 72 and many would say I am also very adventurous. When you under take activities such as bush walking, MTBing etc, that is you are away from your vehicle, your personnal safety needs carefull thought. Like your father, I asked myself this very question only 3 days ago. I documented my thoughts in a post on this Forum for others to consider.

It is here
https://www.exploroz.com/forum/134868/how-safe-are-you--gps-trackers-for-the-regular-traveller

Your father asked about falling off a MTB and being bitten by a snake. But if you are going to ride a MTB in the bush you need to have thought of the many other things that may happen. Any solution should cover at least, falling off and not being able to continue, snake bite, heart attack, bike failure, and getting lost. The solution has also got to cover that in the case of something happening what do you do if you have mobile reception, and what do you do if you do not have reception.

Your own safety is your responsibility and really requires very carefull thought. I hope you find my post helpful and are able to adapt it to your father's situation.

Chris

What other people think of me is none of my business.
Do unto others what you would have them do unto you.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 881236

Follow Up By: Idler Chris - Thursday, May 18, 2017 at 22:50

Thursday, May 18, 2017 at 22:50
In respect to snake bite I recommend you take a setopress bandage along as part of your kit. Little weight and could save your life.

Here is a bit of info about them.

https://www.facebook.com/designerfirstaidsolutions/photos/a.732217526910210.1073741828.724307064367923/1038885619576731/?type=3&theater

Chris
What other people think of me is none of my business.
Do unto others what you would have them do unto you.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 881237

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Friday, May 19, 2017 at 10:48

Friday, May 19, 2017 at 10:48
Yep cycling or walking he/we always carry an essentials pack with phone (therefore apps) and first aid inc wide compression bandage for snake bite as well as water, a HRM and Garmin computer, energy snacks, etc.
Michelle Martin

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 881243

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Friday, May 19, 2017 at 10:54

Friday, May 19, 2017 at 10:54
Nick b and ACD 1 yes this function exists in sat devices such as SPOT3 and some sat phones. We have a SPOT but only think of using it when hiking on a trip ...not when hiking or cycling locally when we would carry our phones and therefore have access to the apps. You have to be realistic - these risks are everyday and what device do you have with you everyday? The phone apps are so valuable from this perspective. Even runners tend to carry their phones thesedays...in case of heart attack etc...so easy if you know how to quickly get position cooridinates to relay to emergency operators. Could save a life.
Michelle Martin

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 881244

Follow Up By: Member - ACD 1 - Friday, May 19, 2017 at 11:49

Friday, May 19, 2017 at 11:49
I probably replied in the wrong place Michelle.

Comments were more in response to the idea of informing people that the facility already exsists in items they may already have in there arsenal for travel in areas where they don't have a phone signal.

While I would use the app (around town), to navigate multiple devices during an emergency to let people know where you are seems illogical when you may already have a simple solution at hand.

I guess it is a reflection of our techno dependent lifestyles - "However has the most toys when they die - wins!"

Cheers

Anthony
FollowupID: 881247

Reply By: garrycol - Thursday, May 18, 2017 at 19:51

Thursday, May 18, 2017 at 19:51
Great idea and I went to read a few of the reviews of which many are not favourable - need to be online for it to work, you have to type in the position from the phone rather than the phone sending it for you.

I will probably install it buy will not rely on it.
AnswerID: 611192

Follow Up By: Member - ACD 1 - Thursday, May 18, 2017 at 21:42

Thursday, May 18, 2017 at 21:42
I have it installed on both my phone and iPad.

It's an extra tool in the tool box, doesn't cost anything and is could be helpful in th right circumstances.

Cheers

Anthony
FollowupID: 881229

Reply By: Genny - Friday, May 19, 2017 at 18:01

Friday, May 19, 2017 at 18:01
The compass in the Iphone "extras" folder seems to show your GPS co-ordinates at the bottom of the screen. Second page of the compass app is a "spirit" level.
AnswerID: 611218

Reply By: 901 - Friday, May 19, 2017 at 18:03

Friday, May 19, 2017 at 18:03
The beauty about this app is that when you ring the 000 number for an ambulance you get to speak to a paramedic who can help you with info which could assist you until help arrives as well as giving them the exact location.
I know that coverage can be a problem but its not only for use in the country.
In an emergency people can get a bit confused as there exact location.
As others have said just another tool.
AnswerID: 611219

Reply By: Baz - The Landy - Saturday, May 20, 2017 at 07:01

Saturday, May 20, 2017 at 07:01
I do have it on my phone, but apart from downloading it after reading a similar article to this I have never looked at it since.

To be honest, in the situations outlined above a PLB (mine fits in the top pocket) will have you covered unambiguously...

A satphone for follow up in need.

Cheers, Baz - The Landy

AnswerID: 611234

Sponsored Links