carrying a gene offroad

Submitted: Saturday, Jun 05, 2004 at 19:00
ThreadID: 13495 Views:1787 Replies:6 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
hi guys

thanks for the replys to secondary battery prob with TI patrol.

I'm thinking of a strapped down AGM batt in batt box that i can remove when required. Run fridge off it as well.

but also considering a gene at camp sites.

Any experience from people carrying them things when offroad. i just picture delicate electronics breaking and fuel going all over the car.

Salesman told me the yamaha equal is better than the honda eu10i. Quieter and more fuel efficient. I would run a Waeco 60lt and lights if i got one.

people's opinion??
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Crackles - Saturday, Jun 05, 2004 at 19:28

Saturday, Jun 05, 2004 at 19:28
You probably need to work out where you will carry it to determine how it will travel. Inside the car it will be safe from breakage but on some models the petrol smell can be annoying. On the roof or in the trailer I've seen a couple vibrate to bits so pack it well. Some with generators use them only to charge their batteries then run all their lights etc off 12 volts, this way you can run it in the morning or afternoon instead of late at night when they annoy us non generator campers. Cheers Craig............
AnswerID: 61871

Reply By: SUNSEEKER - Saturday, Jun 05, 2004 at 20:39

Saturday, Jun 05, 2004 at 20:39
I would HIGHLY reccomend the Honda eu10i as I have had one for 4 years with no trouble at all.Icarry it inside my Troopy and it has been over the top twice including up to Gurig n.p.Make sure it can not tip over and you will be o.k. with no smell in the vehicle as I carry mine wrapped in a large plastic bag.When I bought mine it rated as the quietest1kv. generator and very light .Please use it with consideration to other campers even though it is very quiet.I don't think you will get a better gen. for the money.
AnswerID: 61880

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Saturday, Jun 05, 2004 at 21:26

Saturday, Jun 05, 2004 at 21:26
What sort of gene? Gene Hackman? or a Genny?

Wouldnt you be better off with a solar panel system, much cheaper in long run but not to purchase, more efficent, no need to find so much room to carry the flammin thing, then tin for fuel, etc etc...

and the best part, you wont annoy others at camp sites that find them obscene.. Most people go away to find quiet...
AnswerID: 61888

Reply By: Magnus - Saturday, Jun 05, 2004 at 22:20

Saturday, Jun 05, 2004 at 22:20
Agree with Truckster. Go Solar. Have been the Generator route and did so for years. Got stolen. Went Solar and Gas and never regretted it. Whole lot easier all round.

Magnus
AnswerID: 61893

Reply By: Member - Bob - Sunday, Jun 06, 2004 at 03:56

Sunday, Jun 06, 2004 at 03:56
I thought you were talking about the human genome project! The Waeco will run for 2 days off your auxiliary battery. Lighting - 12v fluoros, gas, or best of all a LED headlight that just shines when and where you need it.
AnswerID: 61914

Reply By: GaryW - Monday, Jun 07, 2004 at 14:13

Monday, Jun 07, 2004 at 14:13
I have to agree with the comments on Solar. Our keeps the trailer battery topped up. We run an Evakool ED90 & lights/shower/water pump. Geny is cheaper initial cost but more hassel IMHO. Solar is cheaper in the long run.

Gaz
AnswerID: 62061

Sponsored Links