Using a power bank to run a fridge

Submitted: Sunday, May 28, 2017 at 17:36
ThreadID: 134972 Views:3503 Replies:1 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Like a few others I have a Suaoki G7 battery pack. I brought it mainly because I now have a D-Max which has one starting battery. (My old Cruiser had 2 starting batteries.) My 150 aH deep cycle battery is in the camper on the back. As my vehicle is an auto I need a fall back position should the starting battery be unable to start the D-Max. I have a solar controller next to the battery so I will eventually be able to charge it enough to start the vehicle. Many people install a switch to connect their deep cycle battery to the starting battery which usually would start the vehicle. I did not do this because for less money I brought the Suaoki G7 and it will definitely start the D-Max. It has other advantages as I can help others with a flat/dead battery without any danger to my own vehicle, and I can power and charge computers/phones/cameras etc.
Another potential use is in an emergency if the deep cycle battery is to flat to run the fridge I could use the G7 power bank. My question is if the deep cycle is to flat to run the fridge should I connect the G7 power bank directly to the fridge or would it be better to connect the G7 to the deep cycle battery?

Chris
What other people think of me is none of my business.
Do unto others what you would have them do unto you.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Sunday, May 28, 2017 at 18:20

Sunday, May 28, 2017 at 18:20
Hi Chris,

The Suaoki G7 has a rated storage capacity of 18Ah. It can provide a short burst of high current to start an engine, but the 18Ah will run your fridge for only a limited time, maybe around 4 to 6 hours depending in fridge draw.

Bear in mind also that if you pull down the charge in the Suaoki then you are left with no emergency battery which is what you have it for.

But to answer your specific question, it would probably be better to run the fridge directly from the Suaoki.
I can see no good purpose in connecting it to the deep cycle battery, although no harm would come from doing that.
Cheers
Allan

AnswerID: 611492

Follow Up By: Idler Chris - Sunday, May 28, 2017 at 19:53

Sunday, May 28, 2017 at 19:53
Thanks Allan, I think what you are saying its either cold beer or start the D-Max. Hmm, that's an easy decision.
Chris
What other people think of me is none of my business.
Do unto others what you would have them do unto you.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 881541

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Sunday, May 28, 2017 at 20:14

Sunday, May 28, 2017 at 20:14

I'd tell the D-Max to start its damned self...... "Cheers"
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 881542

Sponsored Links