Ford Everest Accessory Power

Submitted: Monday, Jun 05, 2017 at 17:46
ThreadID: 135025 Views:8342 Replies:3 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Just helping my Brother-in-law with installation of power to towbar anderson plug. The car is a Ford Everest (same motor as Ford Ranger). Going with a solenoid controller and I need to connect to "accessory" power to trigger solenoid operation only whilst motor is running. Can anyone help with the location of an "accessory" cable under bonnet for tapping into for this connection.Pic would be excellent if possible Thanks.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Kazza055 - Monday, Jun 05, 2017 at 17:54

Monday, Jun 05, 2017 at 17:54
I would not be using the accessory as this can be left on without the motor running - better to find and ignition supply.

If you look at the fuse block you should be able to find a fuse to tap into. I have used these piggy back fuses to tap of a supply.

A couple of fuses could be Wipers,Air Conditioning etc.
AnswerID: 611710

Follow Up By: Hoyks - Monday, Jun 05, 2017 at 19:07

Monday, Jun 05, 2017 at 19:07
+1 for the piggyback fuses. I used them on my BT50 for triggering a fog light relay.

Make sure you put them in the correct orientation though. They will allow power to go through then in either orientation, but if in backwards all the current will be going through the 1 fuse and may cause it to pop.
FollowupID: 881747

Follow Up By: Member - Nolo (Brisbane) - Monday, Jun 05, 2017 at 19:44

Monday, Jun 05, 2017 at 19:44
That's a fantastic idea fellas. Finished the cabling etc today and just need to connect the "ignition" wire. Found the piggy back fuses on eBay and will check tomorrow which type of fuse, Standard, Mini, or Micro2 to order. Thanks again.
FollowupID: 881748

Follow Up By: IvanTheTerrible - Monday, Jun 05, 2017 at 20:11

Monday, Jun 05, 2017 at 20:11
When piggy backing try and stay away from engine, sensor or ecu fuses. Also make sure the solenoid has back emf protection.
FollowupID: 881749

Reply By: Member - Murray R (VIC) - Monday, Jun 05, 2017 at 20:59

Monday, Jun 05, 2017 at 20:59
Hi Greg
You will not find an ignition fuse in the engine bay fuse box and the ignition controled fuses in the dash fuse box are all ecu type fuses and it's not advisable to use these and a lot of times when you pull these fuse out with the ignition on you induce a code into the system. Then you need a scan tool to remove the code. On a Ranger you can pick up an ignition feed by tapping into the heater fan positive feed at the fan motor plug, I think the Everest would be the same. The fan motor is under the glove box with its body facing down and has a 2 pin plug with heavy wiring
If you are going to use the anderson plug to charge a battery you will need a bcbc charger for this to work properly.

Cheers Murray
Another Mexican

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 611712

Follow Up By: Hoyks - Tuesday, Jun 06, 2017 at 06:20

Tuesday, Jun 06, 2017 at 06:20
Actually, there are heaps of circuits that are only active when the ignition is on located in the fuse box under the bonnet.

Power mirrors is the one I used, nice low fuse rating (10A) so the location has amps to spare and no sensors on the mirrors that would upset the BCM/ECU if it got power fluctuations that would cause error codes.

Air con clutch is another, AC pressure switch, horn, diff lock solenoid and heated mirrors.

Taping in at the fuse is much easier than standing on your head and splicing into a loom.
FollowupID: 881755

Reply By: Member - Nolo (Brisbane) - Sunday, Jun 11, 2017 at 12:55

Sunday, Jun 11, 2017 at 12:55
Final result. I accessed the heater fan wire as suggested and all good. Thank you everyone.
AnswerID: 611820

Sponsored Links