setting up tablet for touring

Submitted: Thursday, Jun 08, 2017 at 23:47
ThreadID: 135046 Views:3281 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all
looking for help setting up an android tablet for my truck. requirements/apps are:
1. 9 or 10" screen
2. Phone – connect via Bluetooth to apple and android devices, answer and make calls via tablet and access to contacts
3. Music – storage and play music use headphone jack out to aux in on existing radio
4. Nav – both on highway and off road. Off road would be by using the Hema app and maps and on highway will be google maps.
5. tyre pressure monitoring by http://www.digoptions.com.au/tpms-tire-pressure-monitor-system-6-internal-valve
I have a tab S 8" that I'm using for testing and have purchased the Dashdroid app but have already run into problems as my 5C phone is paired but can not connect (says the Tab S is not supported???)
I don't want to purchase a new head unit as I wont get the screen size and I want to keep the original radio for AM/FM access in country areas.
Thanks in advance
Bob
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Shaker - Friday, Jun 09, 2017 at 08:12

Friday, Jun 09, 2017 at 08:12
It might pay to change your 5C phone, as the from IOS 11 Apple will no longer fully support their phones with 32bit processors. This includes all iPhones up to & including 5 & 5C, it also means that App developers will only support 64 bit phones.
AnswerID: 611773

Reply By: Frank P (NSW) - Friday, Jun 09, 2017 at 09:59

Friday, Jun 09, 2017 at 09:59
Apple has a history of arrogantly "proprietising" things that were originally designed to be universal so that they do not properly interconnect with devices from other manufacturers. Bluetooth is one, as you have found.

Ditch the iphone and get an Android one. Then all will work as you wish.

Cheers
FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 611776

Reply By: bakers - Friday, Jun 09, 2017 at 14:30

Friday, Jun 09, 2017 at 14:30
Hi Shaker & Frank

Thanks for that. Unfortunately I'm stuck with the iPhone at the moment as its a work phone so if I was to switch to an android phone it would only be for this application.

I thought it would be easier to connect using Bluetooth but they just wont play so back to the drawing board.

Regards

Bob
AnswerID: 611784

Follow Up By: noggins - Friday, Jun 09, 2017 at 19:19

Friday, Jun 09, 2017 at 19:19
I don't know your Iphone but on a lot of yapple stuff you can partition it to run windows or android.

Maybe a down load an app called ''bluestacks'' which runs android in mac stuff might work for your purpose.

Ron
FollowupID: 881840

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Friday, Jun 09, 2017 at 20:20

Friday, Jun 09, 2017 at 20:20
That applies to Mac books ..not Apple phones. Not aware of any iPhone on which you can run Windows OS/Android, and even if I'm wrong its getting way too complicated for something that would appear to be relatively simple (connecting a phone via bluetooth to a tablet)

Apple products are obviously good but they do go out of their way to totally control what you can do with their products.

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 881841

Reply By: Tony F8 - Saturday, Jun 10, 2017 at 08:02

Saturday, Jun 10, 2017 at 08:02
Before you decide on a program or app, ensure your tablet/ipad is AGPS/GLONASS enabled, then you you will not need connection , as long as you download the maps required whilst your in service, I have used Memory Map for some years now and can't fault it, easy to use and you have access to Oztopo, Hema and westprint maps.
AnswerID: 611795

Sponsored Links