Enquiry re unable to light Spinflo gas cooktop.

Submitted: Sunday, Jun 11, 2017 at 18:45
ThreadID: 135064 Views:2746 Replies:3 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
I have recently purchased a Millard Monsoon Poptop caravan 2000 model.
I am unable to get the cooktop to neither have a gas flow to the burners or any operation of the electronic ignition. Apparently from the Spinflo website all their appliances operate off 12 volt.
The van is equipped with a 12 volt Battery and a solar panels.
Is there anyone who has experience with a similar problem.
The gas bottles are full and the gas is turned "on".
The refrigerator operates fine on gas.
The isolating tap in the cooktop gasline is in the "on" position.
I have attempted, unsuccessfully, to light the cooktop using a match.
There could be a blockage in the line but this does not explain the non operation of tthe electronic ignition.
I have the Poptop roof in the up position in case there is an interlock preventing the cooktop from being used while the roof is down.
Appreciate any advice....Don C
Charlsie

My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Supersi - Sunday, Jun 11, 2017 at 18:50

Sunday, Jun 11, 2017 at 18:50
Does the stove top have a cover that you have to open to use it?

If so check that it is in the fully open position as there will likely be a micro switch controlling the gas / ignition.

Came across this same problem and solution last week with a Jayco van.
AnswerID: 611835

Follow Up By: Member - Charlsie - Monday, Jun 12, 2017 at 01:27

Monday, Jun 12, 2017 at 01:27
Yes it does have a cover, I have checked and there does not seem to be any sort of interlock/micro switch anywhere.
Thanks for your reply.
Charlsie

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 881896

Reply By: John M99 - Sunday, Jun 11, 2017 at 20:22

Sunday, Jun 11, 2017 at 20:22
This post has been read by the moderation team and has been moderated due to a breach of The Inappropriate Rule .

Forum Moderation Team
AnswerID: 611838

Reply By: Athol W1 - Monday, Jun 12, 2017 at 08:55

Monday, Jun 12, 2017 at 08:55
Charlsie
Unless your unit is VERY old there WILL be a micro switch fitted to the top cover or lid. This switch will only operate a gas valve, no electrics involved, and will only open with the last few millimetres of lid opening, so anything that inhibits this full opening of the lid will prevent the stove from operating.

Also there is a system fitted whereby there is no gas flow to the individual jets unless there is heat from that jet (gas burning) or you are holding the control knob in the over ride position, normally by depressing the knob and holding for a few seconds after the jet has lighted. This applies when attempting to light the gas using a match or the Piezo ignition system.

Hope this is of assistance.
Regards
Athol
AnswerID: 611844

Follow Up By: Member - Charlsie - Monday, Jun 12, 2017 at 17:57

Monday, Jun 12, 2017 at 17:57
Athol,
Thanks for your suggestion, I actually unscrewed the plastic cooktop cover from the bench and there is no actual switches that can be activated by the operation of the cover it is simply screwed to the bench top via two spring loaded hinges.
For the life of me I cannot fathom what is preventing the gas flo or the piezo from operating.
I cracked the nut connecting the gas line to the cooktop this morning and was able lto prove there was gas a that point.
I've given up and have arranged to take the van into the dealer I purchased it rom next week.
Thanks to those that offered suggestions.
Charlsie

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 881902

Sponsored Links