Road conditions reports - single official portal

Submitted: Wednesday, Jun 14, 2017 at 06:50
ThreadID: 135077 Views:2189 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
http://www.ntlis.nt.gov.au/roadreport/include.jsp?pageName=content/links

NSW Live Traffic doesn't cover minor roads in the unincorporated far west.
Try https://www.ses.nsw.gov.au/local-region-information/fwr/local-road-information/
OR
send an email asking to be added to the emailed condition update list to Peter.GARRICK@rms.nsw.gov.au

Conditions should be checked at the latest time before you commit to a route as rain can lead to closure in short order and a long way away. The rule of thumb for the Birdsville area is 17mm according to a former copper there.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Wednesday, Jun 14, 2017 at 17:05

Wednesday, Jun 14, 2017 at 17:05
Yes bit poor isn't it. The problem with our system of government is the States don't conform to a national standard. This is why we created our own national road reporting system - have you seen it? ExplorOz Road Conditions Report.

It is based on these reports (but in addition we manually check lots of other local shire reports where you have to go to source all the real outback and offroad tracks, as well as national parks sites) and has to be manually updated by our volunteers but at least the report format is consistent. We also include as many of the offroad tracks that we know the Exploring Oz community might need to reference but only where reports are available. Our reporting system also shows the trends over all the years (and its been about 12 now) that we've collected data to show the times of year that a particular track is in each status (open, caution, closed). We also have a system for collecting live input from people out in the field - ie. all the travellers. Anyone can click on a road and give a live "Travellers' Comment". I'm just not sure that we can force everyone to make the effort these days people just leave it up to everyone else which is a shame as these system are already built and here to be used for the benefit of everyone else.

We receive no funding or support for this service so all care but no responsibility. The system is updated purely by volunteers and we give them our thanks for doing their best.
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 611903

Reply By: Sigmund - Wednesday, Jun 14, 2017 at 18:19

Wednesday, Jun 14, 2017 at 18:19
I appreciate the work that members of this community have done Michelle.

I was finding the need to go to official sources for the last check before committing to a route as they were most likely to have the latest. For my destinations anyway.
AnswerID: 611907

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Thursday, Jun 15, 2017 at 00:16

Thursday, Jun 15, 2017 at 00:16
Absolute agree that is best but just thought you were commenting on the lack of these reports and downfalls of limited track reports.
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 881957

Sponsored Links