Gary Highway Conditions

Submitted: Friday, Jun 23, 2017 at 21:29
ThreadID: 135140 Views:3248 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi, I recently did a trip up the Connie Sue, the Gunbarrel, the Gary Highway and down the Canning a bit and out via the Talawana. Most of these roads have a fair bit of information available but the Gary can be a bit difficult to get current condition reports as it seems it is not well travelled (a comment I heard a few times about it during my trip). I know conditions don't change often and there is some info if you look for it but figured I'd provide a recent account in case it helps anyone.

I travelled north from Everard Junction (btw some low life has stolen the replica plaque there). The south portion through the reserve is much like the Gunbarrel but much narrower, long stretches of completely washed out road. Some rocky and sandy sections, and *very* overgrown (don't go if you value your vehicle paint).

Lake Cohen is full right now and absolutely spectacular but has swallowed the road. Diversion tracks aren't immediately obvious but they're there if you look, just turn east from the lake and you'll find them.

Further on the track goes through kilometres of very tall grass, sometimes the road is only a slight separation in the grass. Had to spend some time cleaning out the underside of the truck. Also very overgrown and narrow the whole way.

At Windy Corner conditions seem to improve but they don't really until you get further on and hit the sand dunes. I turned off at the Kidson, and it was pretty much washouts until it joined the Jenkins Track near Kunawarritji.

Hope this helps someone planning to take this beautiful drive, the scenery is absolutely amazing. Highly recommended.

Cheers,
Steve
Back Expand Un-Read 2 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Len & Rhoda - Saturday, Jun 24, 2017 at 18:57

Saturday, Jun 24, 2017 at 18:57
Thanks for that Steve, we are heading for the Gary Hwy in a couple weeks so the heads up is appreciated.

Len
AnswerID: 612119

Reply By: Member - Wildmax - Wednesday, Jun 28, 2017 at 21:00

Wednesday, Jun 28, 2017 at 21:00
Make sure you pay plenty of attention to regularly clearing the spinifex from under your vehicle - see my thread on this forum about the Canning being too hot for some (it was a very expensive lesson for our friends).
Wildmax
2018 Hilux and Black Wolf 210 tent - for the outback tracks less travelled
Formerly an AOR Eclipse and a TVan

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 612218

Sponsored Links