May 2017 car sales climb, Ranger is pegging Hilux

Submitted: Saturday, Jun 24, 2017 at 09:56
ThreadID: 135145 Views:3184 Replies:4 FollowUps:10
This Thread has been Archived
There's been a large jump in May 2017 car sales, setting the scene for another record car sales year in Australia.
There are murmurs that Cyclone Debbie and numerous floods have had a one-off sizeable effect on vehicle sales, because of the substantial number of vehicles destroyed in these weather events.

It takes very little for a vehicle to become a Statutory Write-Off in todays strictly-regulated world.

Just a thump that crinkles a panel such as firewall, floor, roof or even a chassis/subframe member, and the vehicle goes to the scrapyard.

You cannot even re-use any electronic component from such a vehicle, even when they appear undamaged.
This is because authorities claim that many electronic components are easily damaged by impact or water, and that many electronic components play a part in safety systems.
They say, unknown damage to electronics = unknown effect on safety systems = vehicle safety compromised.

Not many people know that water covering the entire floorpan of a vehicle means it becomes a SWO - because many vehicles locate important electronic components on the floor inside vehicles, and under seats.

The sales figures show Ranger is pegging Hilux, and crimping Toyota gains in this area.
It's obvious the extra cubic centimetres of a decent engine size are helping Ranger no end.

I know a lot of people are upset at Hilux getting smaller cube engines in the last model.
However, new Hilux owners I know, and have spoken to, are happy with their new Hiluxes, with owners of the 2.8L saying they produce more power, and use less fuel, than the previous 3.0L.

Landcruiser and Patrol are becoming like Falcons and Commodores - just shadows on the sales chart. Bit of a change from 10 years ago - with just 73 in total of these two models sold in May, Australia-wide.

However, "Upper Large SUV's" have recorded a 73% jump on the previous May - so there must be quite a few more big Lotto winners than usual, in May this year.

May 2017 also had an extra day in the month, as compared to May 2016, and this apparently makes quite a difference in sales comparisons.

http://www.caradvice.com.au/556571/may-2017-vfacts-new-vehicle-sales/?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Tony H (touring oz) - Saturday, Jun 24, 2017 at 10:02

Saturday, Jun 24, 2017 at 10:02
Ron.....please explain......
"May 2017 also had an extra day in the month, as compared to May 2016"
Insanity doesnt run in my family.... it gallops!

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 612104

Follow Up By: Ron N - Saturday, Jun 24, 2017 at 12:14

Saturday, Jun 24, 2017 at 12:14
Hi Tony - Yes, sorry about the poor explanation/description. The actual wording is "one more selling day".

I can't explain how they engineered that, these sales people are like accountants, they can get "creative" with numbers!

All that I can think of, is there was a public holiday that fell into May 2016, which reduced the number of days the car sellers were open for business.

From the article ..

"May 2017 had one more selling day than May 2016, which resulted in an increase of 93 vehicle sales per day."

I must also confess my proofreading was slipshod this morning - probably because I wasn't properly awake! The "Upper Large SUV" sales were up 22%, not 73%.
I managed to confuse the % number, with the number of Landcruiser and Patrol sales, that was listed in the same line.
FollowupID: 882148

Follow Up By: Member - Boobook - Sunday, Jun 25, 2017 at 06:48

Sunday, Jun 25, 2017 at 06:48
I think you are still confused with the numbers Ron. The Patrols sales were 73, and Landcruiser was the majority of the remainder - 1386
FollowupID: 882192

Follow Up By: Ron N - Sunday, Jun 25, 2017 at 11:29

Sunday, Jun 25, 2017 at 11:29
Boobook - As with all modern journalism, the sentence is poorly written, leading to confusion ...

"Upper Large SUV — 1386, up 22 per cent: Toyota LandCruiser and Nissan Patrol (just 73)"

The "Upper Large SUV" category must cover more vehicles than just Landcruiser.

From what I gather, the category covers "Large SUV's" over $70,000.
There are a number of vehicles that fall into that category - Porsche, Land Rover, Audi, BMW, Volvo and even Maserati.

I agree that the 73 sales in total for the month must be referring to Patrol only.

A quick search brings up total sales of 2,851, 200 series for the first 3 months of this year. That equates to just over 950, 200 series sales per month.

Those numbers show a very substantial 32% increase in 200 series sales for this year, which must make Mr Toyota very happy.

200 Series sales report

Cheers, Ron.
FollowupID: 882204

Follow Up By: Member - Boobook - Sunday, Jun 25, 2017 at 11:57

Sunday, Jun 25, 2017 at 11:57
It seems pretty clear to me.

I said the Landcruiser was the majority of the reminder ( not all). If you read the article properly, I think you will find most of the vehicles you refer to are in the "Premium Upper Large SUV" category — 177, down 20 per cent: eg Mercedes-Benz GLS, Range Rover and Lexus LX"

In April there were 1032 200's sold. I guess the category consists of Landcrusiers, LR's and Nissans. So 1100ish vehicles sound about right.

April sales
FollowupID: 882206

Follow Up By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Sunday, Jun 25, 2017 at 15:59

Sunday, Jun 25, 2017 at 15:59
The Y62 Patrol is a joke, Nissan should dump that lemon and bring something here that buyers may actually like and have some practical use! Nissan only have themselves to blame, when Renault took them over in the early GUs, they really became a "Non Event". Toyota dont have any competition so they can charge what they like, if they had real competition, LC prices may be somewhat lower. Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 882217

Follow Up By: Deejay - Sunday, Jun 25, 2017 at 17:33

Sunday, Jun 25, 2017 at 17:33
You're dead right Michael - Nissan are a joke to themselves and the world. I drive a 2006 TD42ti and love it and have never had a thing go wrong with it unlike my 80 series. Why Nissan did not offer a diesel option in the Y62 is beyond me. They've only got themselves to blame for miserable sales.
FollowupID: 882225

Follow Up By: Michael H9 - Sunday, Jun 25, 2017 at 18:27

Sunday, Jun 25, 2017 at 18:27
It's true, Nissan don't really have a 4wd with any credibility any more. Even the Navara has only a 450mm wading depth. I wonder if Pat Callinan jumped ship on them to VW, or if Nissan left because they didn't want to be in that market any more?
FollowupID: 882227

Follow Up By: Member - Boobook - Monday, Jun 26, 2017 at 07:39

Monday, Jun 26, 2017 at 07:39
The latter Michael. Pat Callinan was shopping around for a new sponsor for a while.

As to the Y62. I do think Nissan have lost the plot. It will be interesting now they have taken over Mistubishi.

From about 3 weeks ago "Carlos Ghosn, chief executive of Renault and chairman of Nissan and Mitsubishi, told Australian reporters on Monday that Mitsubishi and Nissan can "do much better" in Australia."

So the 4wd line up now that the GU has gone and Pajero is about to be discontinued is the fantastic Pathfinder in Petrol only, and the Pajero Sport. The Navara and Triton, are about to be merged. That will be a frankenstein.

Maybe if good ol' Carlos gave the Australian dealers something to sell they could "do much better" in his words.

What hope do they have when Renault is in charge. Really.

I guess it isn't too bad. Renault / Nissan also bought a majority share in Lada a while back.

We might see the Nissan Patrol Lada Niva edition. That will be a beauty.
FollowupID: 882253

Follow Up By: Ron N - Monday, Jun 26, 2017 at 08:43

Monday, Jun 26, 2017 at 08:43
My truckie neighbour, who has the workshop adjoining mine, runs the earlier model Patrol, about a 2013 model, I think, with the 4.8L petrol engine.

We were discussing it last week, and he reckons he's never owned a vehicle that uses so much fuel in his life! - apart from old International petrol V8 trucks!

Reckons he gets down to 4km a litre at times! (25L/100kms) - and that's without towing anything! (he owns a Hino motorhome for holiday travel).

He's pretty disgusted with it and he won't be buying another one, purely on the fuel consumption angle alone. I can see another potential 200 series buyer in him.

Cheers, Ron.
FollowupID: 882255

Follow Up By: Member - Boobook - Monday, Jun 26, 2017 at 10:56

Monday, Jun 26, 2017 at 10:56
I think they stopped selling the petrol 4.8 in about 2010ish. Robin will know.

Yes a friend had one. He said he needs to tow a tanker to get between service stations.
FollowupID: 882266

Reply By: Member - Tony H (touring oz) - Saturday, Jun 24, 2017 at 13:40

Saturday, Jun 24, 2017 at 13:40
Good on you Ron,
Its a slow Saturday here......

May 2016....31 days with 5 Sundays in the month
May 2017....31 days with 4 Sundays in the month
So that's the extra 'sales' day, because all good car salespersons go to church on Sunday!

Stay safe
Insanity doesnt run in my family.... it gallops!

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 612108

Reply By: 9900Eagle - Monday, Jun 26, 2017 at 08:08

Monday, Jun 26, 2017 at 08:08
This may clear things up a bit. It is the year to date figures for 4x4 utes to May.

Calendar year figures

AnswerID: 612154

Sponsored Links