Blackwolf Turbo extra bag

Submitted: Saturday, Jun 24, 2017 at 16:23
ThreadID: 135150 Views:2624 Replies:5 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi guys, hoping you may have heard this one before... we have a Blackwolf turbo plus and have heard it's a good idea to split into 2 bags for easy transportation but we're struggling where to source the second bag from. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks, Iain
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Ron N - Sunday, Jun 25, 2017 at 00:25

Sunday, Jun 25, 2017 at 00:25
Iain - Many many years ago, I needed a durable carry bag for my double sleeping bag. At that time I used a very competent local upholsterer/motor trimmer who regularly rebuilt all my earthmover, truck, vehicle and tractor seats (I owned equipment running into triple figure numbers, back then).

I asked him to make me a bag, and I doubled over and rolled up the sleeping bag, and gave him the rolled-up dimensions.
He produced a brilliant little round bag with eyelets and with a rope drawstring top, made from a green heavy tarp material produced by Herculite (who are still in business today).

That little drawstring bag survives in excellent condition to this very day (I think it was made in 1977), and it has been to more places than the Queen, and a lot of rougher ones!
That, and my first Engel fridge, are about the only remaining survivors of my bush work, camping out, extensive travelling, and 4WD'ing, from that era.

I'd suggest you get the dimensions of the bag you need, see a competent motor trimmer and ask them to make you a bag for the 2nd Black Wolf section, out of a durable material, preferably UV proof and waterproof as well.

The range of materials normally used to make tarps, gives you a fairly good choice of materials, and you can select from a range of weights and durability.

You could go the whole hog and get a robust zip sewn in, or you could go with the simple eyelets and light nylon rope drawstring, as I did with my sleeping bag bag.

Cheers, Ron.

AnswerID: 612126

Follow Up By: member - mazcan - Sunday, Jun 25, 2017 at 12:46

Sunday, Jun 25, 2017 at 12:46
Hi guys
I did similar to you Ron took the king single Barttels brand h/d s/bag into my local canvas shop and he made me a beaut bag with draw string
that is water proof made out of green poly tough but flexible material and it is 17yrs old best thing ever
with all the sleeping bags I have had over the years I have never been able to get them back into the factory supplied bags once I had used them
cheers
FollowupID: 882210

Follow Up By: IainD - Sunday, Jun 25, 2017 at 22:04

Sunday, Jun 25, 2017 at 22:04
Great advice Ron, thanks. Found a local sail maker today through the father-in-law. He's had some bags made by him in the past, should be a good solution.

Cheers, Iain
FollowupID: 882243

Reply By: Sacred Cow - Sunday, Jun 25, 2017 at 07:49

Sunday, Jun 25, 2017 at 07:49
We found that unless you hired a steam roller you could not get the tent, fly and bits and pieces back into the original bag. It was ridiculously too small. In the end we sourced a second bag directly from Black Wolf.

Glenn
AnswerID: 612129

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Sunday, Jun 25, 2017 at 09:22

Sunday, Jun 25, 2017 at 09:22
Our turbo300plus had a poles bag - that never went back in the big black bag. Found we could get the rest in OK with a bit of push and shove. But if going a second bag, I'd expect any half decent bag could fit the fly.
AnswerID: 612131

Reply By: Member - Wildmax - Sunday, Jun 25, 2017 at 20:58

Sunday, Jun 25, 2017 at 20:58
It's not too hard to get back into the bag if you fold the corners out flat and then roll tightly by putting body weight on as you go. We've just used our BlackWolf out in central Aus for 7 weeks, and found it packed up well to go on the roof. Canvas is a bit stiffer on cold mornings (which is why my better half got the roll-up job!)
Wildmax
2018 Hilux and Black Wolf 210 tent - for the outback tracks less travelled
Formerly an AOR Eclipse and a TVan

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 612149

Follow Up By: IainD - Sunday, Jun 25, 2017 at 21:56

Sunday, Jun 25, 2017 at 21:56
Thanks Wildmax, we find the bag is a good fit but the goal is to distribute the weight (ours is a canvas plus, pretty heavy) as we use roof racks.

7 weeks, jealous!
FollowupID: 882242

Reply By: Top End Az - Tuesday, Jun 27, 2017 at 08:40

Tuesday, Jun 27, 2017 at 08:40
I know weight is the issue, but for others who have trouble getting the tent in the bag, for our 300 we use 3 cam straps to compress the tent right down. Goes in the bag easily then.
AnswerID: 612185

Sponsored Links