NT Simpson trip June 2017

Submitted: Thursday, Jun 29, 2017 at 12:08
ThreadID: 135173 Views:2392 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I just posted up some info on Stephen L's excellent blog Simpson Geo Expedition 06, but it's achived so not sure if he'll see my reply posted there ?

Cut and pasted below . . .

We did the run from Old Andado to Birdsville June 1st to 8th.
4 vehicles, my Ranger, Bob Y in his 79, Joe in his cruiser, and Trev in his Prado. No major issues, I recall about 4 stakings only.

Route Mac Clarke - behind Marshall Bluff via station tracks to try and go through passage between the 2 Aboriginal lands, then Colson down a short way to the turnoff west of Geo Base A.
Reality. No way through there apart from very hard virgin dunes, we lost a good 5 or 6 hours trying.
Day 2 we drove north again to pick up Madigan Line, and up to camp 5 junction on Colson, then down from there. Turned off and drove towards Base A to camp.
Day 3 we camped about half way to Geosurveys Hill.
Day 4 we made Geosurveys Hill by lunch time, and camped just south east of it.
Day 5 was a run to Willem Kempens marker, and then ENE to old fuel drum about 5km east, and camped in that corridor south towards the Geo Centre turnoff. Camped about 12km short of the centre.
Day 6 we bagged the centre, then back ~ 5km east to the approach corridor, and down to camp in one of the many beaut Gidgee patches, a bit over halfway to French Line.
Day 7 made French Line and camped just east of Mirranponga Pongunna Lake turnoff.
Day 8 into Birdsville about 1800.

Our original plan to drive as direct route as possible from the centre to Beachcomber (on Hay R Tk) to exit via QAA corner was abandoned due to fuel use, much like we abandoned the Hill coming the other way back in 2015 and bailed out down to French Line to exit to the west that trip.

I have loads of stats on fuel use, and an immense number of "Good Gidgee camps" marked along with the gpx route files, should anyone have a desire to obtain these and head really remote in perhaps some of the most isolated country you will find.
Back Expand Un-Read 3 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Thursday, Jun 29, 2017 at 14:38

Thursday, Jun 29, 2017 at 14:38
Hi Les

Yes received your reply and I have now replied to your comments.

Sounds like you had a great time out there in the real Simpson, that seldom sees any drives out there.

Looking forward to your blog.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 612225

Reply By: Sigmund - Friday, Jun 30, 2017 at 05:48

Friday, Jun 30, 2017 at 05:48
Nice to bump into you in the Birdsville bakery Les.

What are the odds?!
AnswerID: 612236

Follow Up By: Les - PK Ranger - Friday, Jun 30, 2017 at 12:47

Friday, Jun 30, 2017 at 12:47
Yeah, such a coincidence Sig !
Both of us in there looking for breakfast, which was delicious, on our only morning there before heading home.
FollowupID: 882446

Sponsored Links