Connecting GPS to Hilux built in screen

Submitted: Friday, Jun 30, 2017 at 12:11
ThreadID: 135178 Views:4661 Replies:5 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
We have just purchased a new Hilux that has a large touch screen and no GPS or reversing camera. The screen has a USB and single pin AV inlet and we we wondering if anyone has been able to connect a hand held gps to utilise the larger inbuilt screen. If so what brand gps did you use? and what cabling

We are also trying to do the same thing connecting the reversing camera to the Hilux touch screen.

Bottom line is we are trying to keep the number of in- car screens to a minimum.

Any input would be appreciated.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: The Explorer - Friday, Jun 30, 2017 at 12:53

Friday, Jun 30, 2017 at 12:53
Hello
Highly unlikley to work - my guess is that the USB and AV inlets are for playing audio files (i.e.music only) - not for communicating GPS data. The unit itself would also require some sort fo gps software with its own maps ect in which case it should have an associated inbuilt gps anyway.

If the current unit has no existing GPS functions it is unlikley to be worth the
trouble of adding them (if actually possible) - you are better off buying a new unit with the functions/software/capabilities you require and installing that.

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 612247

Reply By: TerraFirma - Friday, Jun 30, 2017 at 15:25

Friday, Jun 30, 2017 at 15:25
Not sure why you want to chase that route? But I guess you are wanting to use the bigger screen and take advantage of that. The AV input is pretty basic and for the camera etc. I haven't seen anything else that was designed for the screen on the Hilux. Better off using an Ipad with a Retina display you get the real estate and the higher resolution to make the app and usability better. I use an Ipad Pro mainly for marine applications but having the screen resolution is a real bonus.
AnswerID: 612249

Reply By: Zippo - Friday, Jun 30, 2017 at 16:02

Friday, Jun 30, 2017 at 16:02
First up, you will need to determine how the existing "head unit" handles AV input. Some will switch to that as the screen source whenever there is active video signal present. That will support add-on reversing cameras as long as the camera is powered only when the vehicle is in reverse. If it requires user action to select AV as the source, doing that each time you select reverse is going to get old real quick.
As Greg said, I don't fancy your chances with the GPS. There are precious few (*) with a "video out" capability. If you find one, the same comments as above apply - depends on how the HU handles AV input. But you would need to select the GPS as the AV source independently, as you would need the GPS running in the background before you want its video information.
Best solution is fit an aftermarket head unit that has the functionality you require and documentation describing how to add the reversing camera if not included. About $A600 supply only is the ballpark from Aussie sources.
(*) A couple of Gen1 Garmin Nuvis had video out available at an internal solder terminal pair, but getting that out of the case is an exercise they left to the user.
AnswerID: 612251

Follow Up By: Ali L - Friday, Jun 30, 2017 at 16:47

Friday, Jun 30, 2017 at 16:47
Thanks your input is appreciated
FollowupID: 882451

Reply By: peteC - Friday, Jun 30, 2017 at 16:21

Friday, Jun 30, 2017 at 16:21
Join up to newhilux.net for all your answers
AnswerID: 612254

Reply By: Member - Charlie M (SA) - Friday, Jun 30, 2017 at 18:52

Friday, Jun 30, 2017 at 18:52
Hi Ali

I have a late 2016 SR Hilux with your setup.
I have purchased a replacement radio, that looks the same as original.
I am fitting it with a reverse camera and dash camera as well. The new radio will have inbuilt GPS.

It was about $700 with dash camera, that was including freight from memory.

I have the details if you want to pm me.
It was purchased on Ebay from a Australian supplier he still had a couple left after I bought.
The Toyota reverse camera now has its own plug off of the Toyota radio, I have been told. A normal reverse camera will not plug in to it.
Cheers
Charlie
AnswerID: 612257

Follow Up By: Ali L - Saturday, Jul 01, 2017 at 12:32

Saturday, Jul 01, 2017 at 12:32
Our ute is also a late 2016 HR. Yes I would appreciate the ebay and supplier info.

Regards Ali
FollowupID: 882465

Follow Up By: Member - Charlie M (SA) - Saturday, Jul 01, 2017 at 18:36

Saturday, Jul 01, 2017 at 18:36
Hi Ali L

I searched members but could not find a Ali L.
He still has two on hand.

If you can private message me or send text with your email address, I will send you the details. Send it to this phone number 0427 272 556.

Cheers Charlie
FollowupID: 882473

Follow Up By: Dean K3 - Monday, Jul 03, 2017 at 20:17

Monday, Jul 03, 2017 at 20:17
If it has 7 inch screen be a "double din unit" most vehicles use this size these days

suggest lookign up this: http://www.digoptions.com.au/

I have one of the older varints in 08 Prado works well only things I have foudn tad difficult iron oxide dust tends to prevent screen from working but wipe with electrstatic screen clenaer fixes that

And bit of interference on AM band - this maybe contributed to LED high mount lights fitted do find it worse further out bush higher I put volume up to hear ABC
FollowupID: 882530

Sponsored Links