Fan on fridge box

Submitted: Saturday, Jul 01, 2017 at 07:50
ThreadID: 135182 Views:3480 Replies:4 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Just bought a 2nd hand camper with a fan fitted to a filtered air vent on the drawbar box for the fridge. When do people run the fan? Is it every ime the box is closed, only in very hot weather, or only when driving on dusty roads?
Thanks
Graham Watson

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: member - mazcan - Saturday, Jul 01, 2017 at 15:42

Saturday, Jul 01, 2017 at 15:42
hi Graham
I would run it any time the fridge is been used and the box is parked or travelling don't see why it would need to run if the fridge box lid is open because there would be enough circulation in that situation
cheers
AnswerID: 612269

Follow Up By: Member - Tony H (touring oz) - Sunday, Jul 02, 2017 at 11:33

Sunday, Jul 02, 2017 at 11:33
Ditto to the comment above.
Keeping the discharge pressure from the compressor as low as possible improves the efficiency of the fridge. The more efficient the operating cycle the shorter time the compressor will run. Current draw to run the fridge will be far in excess of one or two little computer fans..... so it makes sense to run these fans when the lid of the box is closed, great idea having temp sensor controlling fan operation.
Do you have a vent on the opposite side of the fans?
Insanity doesnt run in my family.... it gallops!

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 882478

Follow Up By: Member -Dodger - Sunday, Jul 02, 2017 at 15:52

Sunday, Jul 02, 2017 at 15:52
As most computer fans run between 100 and 200 miliamps the power usage over 24 hrs is minimal ie 2.5 to 5 amps only so I would leve them run full time whilst fridge is in the box.
I have computer fans behind the fridge in the van venting hot air and it sure helps the fridge when the days warm up.
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.

Cheers Dodg.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 882486

Reply By: equinox - Saturday, Jul 01, 2017 at 20:42

Saturday, Jul 01, 2017 at 20:42
Hi Graham,
I have dual fans in my fridge box. They turn on at 30 degrees and off at 26. Dont know really if the fans really contribute to any fridge efficiency.

The controller is available in kit form from Jaycar : HERE
Cheers
Alan

Looking for adventure.
In whatever comes our way.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 612272

Follow Up By: The Bantam - Sunday, Jul 02, 2017 at 15:29

Sunday, Jul 02, 2017 at 15:29
Id be wanting the fan to runway below 30C ....... and yes the fan will definietely contribute to fridge efficiency.

the lower the temp of the surrounding air the more efficient any fridge will be.

cheers
FollowupID: 882484

Reply By: Batt's - Saturday, Jul 01, 2017 at 21:44

Saturday, Jul 01, 2017 at 21:44
It would greatly depend on the type of fan and it's current draw. If it's only a low watt computer fan it could run most of the time without affecting the battery, as mentioned above a good idea is to have a temp switch on it. If it's just a metal box you could also look at lining it with some insulation which will greatly reduce the radiant heat directed at the fridge as it can easily get above 50 deg inside which will make the fridge run constantly on hot days as it will struggle to keep temp.

I don't have an electric one I have a solar powered exhaust fan on my alloy canopy to help draw out some of the hot air out.
AnswerID: 612275

Reply By: RMD - Sunday, Jul 02, 2017 at 10:18

Sunday, Jul 02, 2017 at 10:18
Isn't the reason the fans are there, to change the air around the fridge so it doesn't stew in it's own heat which it is trying to dissipate? No good having heat from any source heating the fridge and it's condensor, so it works the hardest all the time and use far more battery than required.
As long as the fan running uses less AH than the AH used during the less run times it provides for the fridge then the battery is in front.
The use of a fan may even allow the fridge to freeze if it is cool enough outside in the enclosure.

I use a computer fan running full time with appropriate ducting to provide cool air to the fridge and it's condensor while it is in a vehicle. Vehicles get hot inside like fridge boxes do.

Who places their house fridge in front of the gas heater? Same effect as a box in the sun.
AnswerID: 612281

Follow Up By: The Bantam - Sunday, Jul 02, 2017 at 15:33

Sunday, Jul 02, 2017 at 15:33
the fan is there for two reaons
1/ so the fridge is nor recycling it own cooling air
2/ to keep temps down from outside sources of heat.

both with the same goal .... keeping temperature down in and around the fridge.

cheers
FollowupID: 882485

Sponsored Links