Globalstar decommissioning Mt ISA Ground Station

Submitted: Saturday, Jul 01, 2017 at 12:14
ThreadID: 135184 Views:4133 Replies:2 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
I received the following message from Pivotel recently. I thought it may be useful for those considering the purchase of a sat phone as I assume all current users received the same message as I.

Notice of Intent to Decommission Globalstar Satellite Gateway at Mt Isa, QLD
Pivotel currently operates three satellite gateways, also known as satellite earth stations, to provide duplex voice and data services across the Globalstar Satellite network in Australia and New Zealand. These gateways have been in operation since 2000 and are located in Dubbo NSW, Meekatharra WA and Mt Isa QLD.

Globalstar launched its second generation satellite constellation between 2010 and 2013. The second generation Globalstar satellites are more modern and reliable than the first generation Globalstar satellites; however there are fewer satellites in operation, resulting in lower Globalstar satellite service availability for duplex voice and data services in northern Australia.

The lower service availability has resulted in reduced demand for Globalstar duplex voice and data services in the coverage area provided by the Mt Isa satellite gateway. Higher gateway operating costs together with reduced demand have resulted in the Mt Isa satellite gateway no longer being economically viable.
Pivotel hereby gives notice of its intention to decommission the Mt Isa Gateway on 30th June, 2019.
This change will have no effect on SPOT Satellite Messenger services or Globalstar Simplex Tracking services as these services do not currently utilise the Mt Isa satellite gateway.

From 1st July, 2019, the signal availability will be reduced to the north east of Australia within the coverage area currently supported by the Mt Isa satellite gateway. The affected area approximately equates to all parts of Queensland and the Northern Territory north of the Tropic of Capricorn.

Cheers John
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Frank P (NSW) - Saturday, Jul 01, 2017 at 14:59

Saturday, Jul 01, 2017 at 14:59
And then because of the reduced coverage there will be even less take-up and Meeka will close.

Leaving a SE states satellite service that probably won't survive due to insufficient market penetration.

I see on the horizon the end of Globalstar.

Sad, because it used to be really good.

FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 612267

Follow Up By: mountainman - Thursday, Jul 06, 2017 at 23:19

Thursday, Jul 06, 2017 at 23:19
Dont be too worried.
A new Australian satellite company is ramping up its own network.
SKY and SPACE GLOBAL will soon within 2-5 years give you cheap, and affordable satellite coverage the world over.
They have launched 3 in the last couple weeks.
And looking to have a full world network coverage with 1200 satellites within 5years.
this company is not new to the satellite communication game.
they developed the israeli system a few years back.
testing already says the 3satellites are fully functional
and commercial testing will be finished in around 2months
FollowupID: 882633

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Friday, Jul 07, 2017 at 13:17

Friday, Jul 07, 2017 at 13:17
I haven't heard of them, MM. It must be a tough thing to break into - a limited market, hugely expensive start-up costs, etc. Iridium had to be restructured, and Globalstar. Don't know about the others. I'll do a bit of googling.

Cheers
FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 882636

Follow Up By: Member - ACD 1 - Friday, Jul 07, 2017 at 13:56

Friday, Jul 07, 2017 at 13:56
From Wikipedia:

Sky and Space Global (UK) Ltd is a British public company planning a constellation of 200 nanosatellites in equatorial Low Earth orbit for narrowband communications that it expects will cost $160 million or less to complete in total.[3] Satellites will feature inter-satellite links and the capability to autonomously monitor and manage satellite health and the in-orbit communications network.[4] The company which is traded on the Australian Securities Exchange has branches in the United Kingdom, Israel and Poland.

Cheers

Anthony
FollowupID: 882637

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Friday, Jul 07, 2017 at 14:08

Friday, Jul 07, 2017 at 14:08
Read about it here. I don't think it will be much benefit for Oz

"Service coverage will span from 15 degrees south latitude to 15 degrees north of the equator."

Unless that is a typo!
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 882638

Follow Up By: mountainman - Friday, Jul 07, 2017 at 17:55

Friday, Jul 07, 2017 at 17:55
That Is correct PeterD.
15degree bit.
but if you do more research. .
they will have 200satelites by 2018.
Mark my words...
these guys are also based In Australia.
Truely affordable satellite phone Coverage
"ANYONE.....ANYWHERE.....ANYTIME"

cheapest rates on earth

I am a shareholder
and invested heavily

they are aiming to make satellite communication affordable to anyone.
Even third world countries. ..

remember the name SAS
It will be the CHEAPEST RATES in the world

Commercial agreements are already signed
2months to go before public access/end users

This Is a company here to make satellite comms available to all human kind
at very cheap rates
FollowupID: 882639

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Friday, Jul 07, 2017 at 18:17

Friday, Jul 07, 2017 at 18:17
Bu99er!

I just spent $600 on an Iridium handset. Intend to use the post-paid Telstra thing, but had I known I would have waited and sussed out the new guy. Always prefer to support local initiative.

Keep us posted if you can.

Cheers
FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 882640

Reply By: Sigmund - Tuesday, Jul 04, 2017 at 07:38

Tuesday, Jul 04, 2017 at 07:38
"Customers may experience a weaker signal".

An advertising claim on par with some of NBN's.
AnswerID: 612314

Sponsored Links