First Aid Courses

Submitted: Sunday, Jun 06, 2004 at 21:10
ThreadID: 13519 Views:2202 Replies:10 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Started a seperate thread on this one, as it is different to kits.

So I did St Johns yrs back, and did a few extra courses for the Fire Service. Mine expired a while back, but have the knowledge, but would like to do it again.

What courses do people do these days, is St Johns still the premier one to do??

What others have people found, a Google search finds heaps of different ones, but wondering if they really are as good as St Johns.. That was the standard in the Rural Fire Service when we did ours...
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Roachie- Sunday, Jun 06, 2004 at 21:19

Sunday, Jun 06, 2004 at 21:19
Truckster,
I just did a St John's course here in SA a few months ago. 15 hours spread over 5 weeks (3 hours each wednesday night).
I'd never done a course before, but some of the others on it had done one several yeards earlier. They were told they needed to do the whole course again (not just a refresher) cos it'd been over 3 years since their previous course.
As for what other ones are available; sorry can't help you.....out here in the bush, we just take what's available......and that comes down to a choice of ONE.
Cheers,
AnswerID: 61988

Reply By: Member - Pesty (SA) - Sunday, Jun 06, 2004 at 21:33

Sunday, Jun 06, 2004 at 21:33
Have done the St Johns coarse several times now and you either have to do refresher ever year or complete coarse every 3 years to stay up to scratch.
Did a refresher same way and week ( different location) Roachie did his and was surprised at some of the changes since last time. Did mine through CFS this time so I didnt have to pay, but I think it cost $160? You usually get discount on first aid kits if you decide to do coarse.
AnswerID: 61997

Reply By: Member - AndrewPatrol - Sunday, Jun 06, 2004 at 21:37

Sunday, Jun 06, 2004 at 21:37
Truckster,
Just did a St. John course up at their facility at Wesburn (level 2 ) run by a guy who really knew his stuff. we had a nurse on our course who agreed. Sorry cant remember his name now but can find out if need be. would thoroughly reccommend it. We went from the Pajero club and negotiated a group discount. The Wesburn complex is Fantastic. Maybe you can get the Nissan guys in to it.
AnswerID: 61998

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Sunday, Jun 06, 2004 at 21:51

Sunday, Jun 06, 2004 at 21:51
any info you can find out will rock, Im thinking of this in the cold season while people arent travelling as much..

Im going to do it anyway, but yea $$ saving is the way to go.
FollowupID: 323378

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Monday, Jun 07, 2004 at 05:59

Monday, Jun 07, 2004 at 05:59
Truckster,

We all did one with QAS recently, and think a lot depends on the presentation of the Trainer. If they make the course interesting, for young people, then they'll learn heaps.

As Pesty said, have to do CPR renewal each year, and full course, every 3 years. We have also had a one day course, that is called Farm Accident Awareness, or a moniker like that, useful for our workforce.

Hooroo...
Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 62013

Reply By: signman - Monday, Jun 07, 2004 at 09:11

Monday, Jun 07, 2004 at 09:11
G'day Truckster,
I did a First Aid course with my RFS brigade last weekend. It is the St Johns course (with a few additions) and is VETAB approved workplace course. And the best part which would interest you...IT COST NUTHIN
AnswerID: 62026

Reply By: signman - Monday, Jun 07, 2004 at 09:12

Monday, Jun 07, 2004 at 09:12
G'day Truckster,
I did a First Aid course with my RFS brigade last weekend. It is the St Johns course (with a few additions) and is VETAB approved workplace course. And the best part which would interest you...IT COST NUTHIN
AnswerID: 62027

Reply By: Member - Rohan K - Monday, Jun 07, 2004 at 10:30

Monday, Jun 07, 2004 at 10:30
Truckster, like you my St John's cert is out-of-date and needs renewing so my wife and have decided we will both do it again. However, St John's offer a course now called "Remote" or "Outback" or "Bush Survival" First Aid, or something like that. I reckon that's the one to do.
AnswerID: 62034

Follow Up By: Cobra - Monday, Jun 07, 2004 at 13:47

Monday, Jun 07, 2004 at 13:47
Did the St Johns Level 2 a few years back and do a one day refresher each year to keep current, otherwise the certificate expires after 3 years and you need to do the whole course again. Work pays for it which is good but I intend to do the Remote Area First Aid as well at my own expense. This is run over a weekend and I beleive that you have to hold a Level 2 cert before you can do this one as it is a continuation
FollowupID: 323425

Reply By: Member - Sparky - Monday, Jun 07, 2004 at 16:13

Monday, Jun 07, 2004 at 16:13
Truckster -
Have done both the St Johns and Red Cross courses. Both are good and highly informative - a must for anyone who goes on trips and enjoys camping. In fact, I would go as far as saying, a must for all!
Having a presenter/instructor who you can relate to helps - ours last one with Red Cross was great - he structured the course specifically to our needs.
Keep up to date with CPR each year and refresher courses every 3...

Sparky
AnswerID: 62081

Reply By: Coops (Pilbara) - Monday, Jun 07, 2004 at 21:00

Monday, Jun 07, 2004 at 21:00
Have done a few by different organisations.
Some bag St Johns & some don't but the funny thing is they always hand out a St Johns handbook during the course.
I'm out of date now but hopefully knowledge won't fade too quickly and I can refresh.
AnswerID: 62144

Reply By: Member - Brian B (QLD) - Tuesday, Jun 08, 2004 at 19:25

Tuesday, Jun 08, 2004 at 19:25
Hey Truckster,

The choice providers are either St John, Red Cross and if in Queensland then courses provide by the Queensland Ambulance Service (QAS) are good. All have similar content and if you are fortunate to get someone who can deliver it well to the group then you are in luck. All should have a CPR type recertification requirement each year with a full course redo every three years. I am a paramedic with QAS and that is pretty well how it is set up. Given the areas we all find ourselves in with our four wheel drives, then it is a great idea to have this qualification.

Cheers

Brian
AnswerID: 62316

Sponsored Links