Who in Sydney to rebuild 1HZ Landcruiser diesel engine (seized)

Submitted: Wednesday, Jul 05, 2017 at 13:29
ThreadID: 135208 Views:10550 Replies:11 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
Hi,

Those of you who have been following my earlier thread (see link below) will know that my mechanic seized up my Landcruiser engine (1HZ) last week by forgetting to put the oil in before the testing driving my vehicle during a routine service. But lets not dwell on that here, this thread is all about fixing the problem.

I'm am looking for recommendations of which businesses in Sydney (I'm in Sutherland Shire) may have experience and would be highly competent at rebuilding a 1HZ diesel engine. My vehicle is currently laid-up at the workshop where it was damaged pending rectification of the damage that I understand under Consumer Law the existing mechanic may have first dibs at doing.

Of course I should expect a Toyota dealership to be able to do/coordinate this work (part 1 below) but are there other niche vehicle service workshops who I could trust to do this work?

Okay to be more specific what I'm asking is for two different aspects of the rebuild as follows:

1. Disassemble out of vehicle and reassemble machined engine and install in vehicle (who?)

2. Reputable machine shop to fix/machine cylinder head and block and reassemble components into short/long motor configuration (who?)

As far as replacement part go (e.g. pistons, rings, bearings, cams, crankshaft, oil pump) then Toyota genuine is preferred but can others recommend good quality after-market suppliers. I have already received guidance from members that places like Precision International and SMS may be okay. Are there others I should consider OR totally avoid?

I would be most grateful for your help as I try and sort out this mess.

Previous thread re seized engine

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Hoyks - Wednesday, Jul 05, 2017 at 17:14

Wednesday, Jul 05, 2017 at 17:14
I'd give Toyota call and price a new motor.In the past I have been surprised at what they still stock as new parts and some of the prices are a lot less than what aftermarket is asking.

A new motor that can just be dropped in might appear expensive up front, but when you factor in all the spares, time and labor, it might work out to be reasonably competitive.
AnswerID: 612363

Follow Up By: IvanTheTerrible - Wednesday, Jul 05, 2017 at 18:06

Wednesday, Jul 05, 2017 at 18:06
1HZ hasn't been made for quite a while
FollowupID: 882594

Follow Up By: mountainman - Wednesday, Jul 05, 2017 at 19:01

Wednesday, Jul 05, 2017 at 19:01
Ypu do realize that Toyota sell vehicles globally ?

The 1hz is still in use in overseas markets. ..
like africa where diesel is sub standard
and no V8 D4D could handle the sub standard fuel
FollowupID: 882596

Follow Up By: IvanTheTerrible - Wednesday, Jul 05, 2017 at 19:03

Wednesday, Jul 05, 2017 at 19:03
We dont live in Africa
FollowupID: 882597

Follow Up By: bogdan - Wednesday, Jul 05, 2017 at 21:36

Wednesday, Jul 05, 2017 at 21:36
Hoyks you are right, I was at a Toyota dealership here in Sydney on Monday and sat down with the Spare Parts Rep. Provided my VIN and a quick look on his system and then a call to Toyota Corporation Australia and they confirmed Toyota still make the 1HZ motor that they rolled out for the 2002 to 2005 built 100 Series Landcruisers. Mine's a 1998 build Landcruiser but he confirmed that's the same motor in mine.

So Toyota new 1HZ engine ($13,500 list price but $9,700 ex GST trade price to me, 5 day build time in Japan & 25 days ship to Aus). I have the Dealer written quote sitting in front of me.

Toyota Service have quoted me 12 hours labour ie $1,740 for installation but with unknowns suggested I budget for $2,000 even.

Not sure though that a new engine today would have the same bulletproof built quality of one produced in 1998 and same quality of materials (metals etc.). What I do know though is that its new and likely a whole lot more reliable than a rebuilt engine (I think?)
FollowupID: 882601

Follow Up By: mountainman - Wednesday, Jul 05, 2017 at 23:00

Wednesday, Jul 05, 2017 at 23:00
Hey Ivan..
you forget that toyota don't build landcruisers in Australia.
Its all out of a factory overseas.
soo no matter what you think...
it all still gets imported here..EVERYTHING
Nothing is made in Australia

bogdan
the later model 1hz in the 100series have a lighter piston... prone to cracking when turboed.
your year was a great motor to turbo as the pistons were stronger/thicker.

soo technically your getting a lower grade motor
then you have to worry about the fuel pump immobilizer that is on the later model 105 1hz

If you dont turbo it down the track
you will be fine.
it will do

mind you... a1hz is never a good starr to turbo.
Now that your getting up to 10k motor
the 1hdt is only a a couple more thousand
to do.
FollowupID: 882607

Reply By: Dean K3 - Wednesday, Jul 05, 2017 at 17:17

Wednesday, Jul 05, 2017 at 17:17
Thinking outside the box here - I know having a seized engine rebuilt has its drawbacks - maybe the niggling back of brain what if of reliability etc.

Would it be easier to see of toyota can source a Long motor ex japan or states and then its basically a new engine just add whatever they don't supply. Then have paperwork changed by authorities to new engine number for teh VIn plate etc.

Or

install a different engine altogether maybe a older style n/a v8 cumins or similar the mechanics are ones who stuffed it up not you and thier public liability has to cover replacement etc.

Perth based so can't make further suggestions who can/should rebuild engine in sydney maybe speak to heavy transport operators see if they have suggestions over that way
AnswerID: 612364

Follow Up By: bogdan - Wednesday, Jul 05, 2017 at 21:40

Wednesday, Jul 05, 2017 at 21:40
New engine you say, see my reply to Hoyks.
FollowupID: 882602

Follow Up By: Dean K3 - Wednesday, Jul 05, 2017 at 22:57

Wednesday, Jul 05, 2017 at 22:57
Looking at time frame and me being westside I think two trains of though collided at same time - kinda scary that at times.

Glad to know they still available and often a cost effective measure.

Recall brother had a v8 block sitting in the workshop one day asked him what story was - yeah that's a seized engine how that happen etc. owner didn't pay attention to engine temp guage light.

I won't say what replacement engine cost was as you probably suffer heart attack afterwards excess of 20K put it that way
FollowupID: 882606

Reply By: Supersi - Wednesday, Jul 05, 2017 at 19:41

Wednesday, Jul 05, 2017 at 19:41
I suggest having a chat to Berrima Diesel.
AnswerID: 612367

Follow Up By: bogdan - Wednesday, Jul 05, 2017 at 21:41

Wednesday, Jul 05, 2017 at 21:41
Yeh I did, don't do rebuilds mainly focus on turbos
FollowupID: 882603

Reply By: AlbyNSW - Wednesday, Jul 05, 2017 at 20:16

Wednesday, Jul 05, 2017 at 20:16
Have a chat to Gemini Diesel at Carlton, they have been around a long time and are not far from you.
I am sure that if they won't do it would put you on to the right people.
AnswerID: 612368

Follow Up By: bogdan - Wednesday, Jul 05, 2017 at 21:42

Wednesday, Jul 05, 2017 at 21:42
Thanks I'll do that.
FollowupID: 882604

Reply By: cruza25 - Wednesday, Jul 05, 2017 at 22:01

Wednesday, Jul 05, 2017 at 22:01
Not sure if you would think this way but there is one on eBay at a dismantlers in Brisbane

170k on the clock for $4750 plus 200 freight to Sydney.

Considering the age of the vehicle and depending on your workshops planned spend it could be an option to get an engine same as what you had.

A rebuilt engine is never as good as a factory one.

Cheers
Mike
AnswerID: 612369

Reply By: Member - Tony H (touring oz) - Thursday, Jul 06, 2017 at 10:47

Thursday, Jul 06, 2017 at 10:47
G'day,
I will stand corrected.....
Didn't you say or imply in the original post that the repairer had admitted liability?

The repairer will organise the 'repair' .....

My gut feeling...
1. I appreciate & fully understand you want your vehicle back ASAP in as good if not better condition when you dropped it off on that fateful day!
2. The repairer has supplied you with a vehicle.
3. Not ALL repairers are out to rob or screw you, (bearing in mind I/we have no idea who it is)
4. I also understand that this experience is extremely emotive!
5. Posting on this and possibly other forums about your woes will only get many conflicting & remedies/fixes which will only add to your frustration.
6. Post only when you have a specific problem/query that you cant resolve with the repairer...and then be prepared for many differing answers.
7. I mentioned in answer to your original post DISCUSS not DEMAND with your repairer. Remember it is ALSO an emotional & emotive issue for him!
8. Consider engaging an engineering consultant eg (no affiliation) http://www.terrytoomey.com.au/ or similar for PROFESSIONAL assistance.
9. Again, I wish you a speedy resolution to your concerns.....keep us up to speed on developments!
Insanity doesnt run in my family.... it gallops!

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 612375

Reply By: Lowan - Thursday, Jul 06, 2017 at 16:18

Thursday, Jul 06, 2017 at 16:18
I suggest you try J C Diesel in Narellan. I've used them for three vehicles and have two friends who use them as well. Cameron is the man to talk to. Good Luck!!
Lowan
AnswerID: 612383

Reply By: Member - Laurie K (WA) - Friday, Jul 07, 2017 at 22:25

Friday, Jul 07, 2017 at 22:25
They're in Adelaide, but give Brad a ring ... Early Landcruiser Spares & Repairs - Wreckers
Automotive Parts & Accessories · 32 Jennifer Ave Ridgehaven, Adelaide, South Australia · (08) 7225 7792

cheers
Laurie
AnswerID: 612414

Reply By: Member - DOZER - Thursday, Jul 13, 2017 at 08:40

Thursday, Jul 13, 2017 at 08:40
Im not sure of your situation, id be steering clear of toyota, 12 hours to do an engine exchange.....thats my pace over a weeks worth of afternoons....new motor...i wouldnt, just incase anything goes wrong, they will stipulate you get a new clutch, new hoses, new radiator for it, and it will end up 4k. i would look around for a good runner, and throw that in....or a hdfte out of a smashed hdj7# would be an upgrade...with its gearbox.
AnswerID: 612476

Reply By: Member - John and Lynne - Thursday, Jul 13, 2017 at 09:16

Thursday, Jul 13, 2017 at 09:16
Hi Bogdan, is any of the below any use?
Toyota engine 1Hz on eBay - Big Brands, Top Retailers - ebay.com.au?
Adwww.ebay.com.au/?

4.9 rating for ebay.com.au
Free Shipping on eBay! Shop for Toyota Engine 1Hz now

Search Results
1hz engine for sale | Engine, Engine Parts & Transmission | Gumtree ...
https://www.gumtree.com.au › Cars & Vehicles
Find 1hz engine for sale ads in our Engine, Engine Parts & Transmission category. Buy and sell almost anything on Gumtree classifieds.
1hz engine | Engine, Engine Parts & Transmission | Gumtree Australia ...
Find 1hz engine ads in our Engine, Engine Parts & Transmission category. Buy and sell almost anything on Gumtree classifieds.
brand new 1hz engine | Engine, Engine Parts & Transmission ...
Find brand new 1hz engine ads in our Engine, Engine Parts & Transmission category. Buy and sell almost anything on Gumtree classifieds.
1hz engine in Queensland | Gumtree Australia Free Local Classifieds
https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-qld/1hz+engine/k0l3008841
Find 1hz engine ads from Queensland. Buy and sell almost anything on Gumtree classifieds.
TOYOTA LANDCRUISER HZJ80 1HZ ENGINE - Brisbane Motor Imports
www.brisbanemotorimports.com.au/engines/diesel-engines-2/toyota/1hz
TOYOTA LANDCRUISER HZJ80 1HZ ENGINE FOR SALE | 07 3808 4225 BRISBANE MOTOR IMPORTS.
TOYOTA 80 SERIES LANDCRUISER 1HZ ENGINE for sale in Slacks ...
https://www.tradingpost.com.au › Automotive › Cars › Car+Parts+and+Accessories
DESCRIPTION. The 1HZ is a 4.2 non turbo diesel engine found in the 80 Series Landcruiser. This engine will come complete with all direct bolt on accessories ...
Toyota Car & Truck Complete Engines | eBay
https://www.ebay.com.au › ... › Car, Truck Parts › Engines, Components
TOYOTA HILUX & HIACE 3L 2.8 LITRE DIESEL FULL ENGINE REBUILD KIT 1989-1998 ... Toyota Landcruiser 1HZ Diesel Engine Heat Shield Cover 3936.
Toyota Diesel Complete Car & Truck Engines | eBay
https://www.ebay.com.au › ... › Car, Truck Parts › Engines, Components
Toyota Landcruiser 1HZ Diesel Engine Heat Shield Cover 3936. AU $110.00; +AU ... 1KD D4D 3.0L Turbo Diesel Hilux Prado Toyota Reconditioned Engine.
TOYOTA 1HZ for sale - Australasian Transport News
https://www.fullyloaded.com.au/detail/toyota-1hz-327360
TOYOTA 1HZ for sale - check out features and prices. ... Fully Reconditioned Exchange Long Engine. Toyota 1HZ 6 cylinder 4164cc OHC Suit Toyota Coaster ...
Toyota 1HZ to 1HDT Turbo Diesel Engine Conversion - JapParts ...
japparts.com.au › Articles
Dec 16, 2016 - The Toyota Landcruiser 1HDT engine is the factory 4.2Ltr Turbo Diesel Engine and can be used in place of a 1HZ Diesel engine. This is a ...
Ads

Second Hand Engines For Sale
AnswerID: 612477

Reply By: Member - Paul B (WA) - Saturday, Jul 29, 2017 at 20:18

Saturday, Jul 29, 2017 at 20:18
Hi Bogdan, how'd you finish up with this? I'm sure I'm not the only one interested.
AnswerID: 612756

Sponsored Links