Hella Rallye 4000

Submitted: Monday, Jun 07, 2004 at 10:20
ThreadID: 13523 Views:6385 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
G'day all,

I just bought 2 of these lights out of the trading post last night. They are brand new, still sealed in the box, but the problem is they are both pencil beams. I have been told that a combo of pencil/spread is the way to go with these lights? Is that true, or am i better off to stick with the 2 pencils? I was thinking I might have to buy a replacement 'spread' glass for one of them? I might try and get a local 4x4 shop to do a swap but I think I might be pushing my luck there.

Any ppls experiences with different combos of these lights would be much appreciated!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Rosscoe - Monday, Jun 07, 2004 at 10:33

Monday, Jun 07, 2004 at 10:33
I had to pencils on my last car and have gone combo on my new car. Early days, but because I have a new vehicle, the standard high beam is pretty good. My current feeling is that the two pencils was a better set up. I'll get a better feel when I've done some more country driving.
AnswerID: 62035

Follow Up By: Member - Gerk Yorke Pen (SA) - Monday, Jun 07, 2004 at 11:16

Monday, Jun 07, 2004 at 11:16
Rosscoe I have the pencils and think they are great but would like a bit more light down the sides for Skippys so a'm thinking of a couple of the small cheap lights and face them out at 45 maybe hook them up with hi beam cheers from Paul
FollowupID: 323415

Reply By: Flash - Monday, Jun 07, 2004 at 14:01

Monday, Jun 07, 2004 at 14:01
Had that with a pair of "Super Oscar" Cibie's some years ago- I was happy with two pencils (need to be well aimed) but some may not like the spot beams. Suggest you fit them and fiddle with the aim and see what you think.
A lot depends on how narrow the beam spread is and the type of driving you do mostly- eg: highway use spots are usually fine- also varies with different makes
Cheers
AnswerID: 62055

Reply By: Member - Rohan K - Monday, Jun 07, 2004 at 14:13

Monday, Jun 07, 2004 at 14:13
With these particular lights, I'd go for one of each. 4x4 Monthly did a comparison in Feb and the combo of a spot and spread in the Rallye 4000s gave an excellent combination of peripheral and distance light.

See if you can find someone on one of the many 4x4 forums that is looking to buy a set ans is willing to do a deal where they purchase 2 driving light and you swap one.
AnswerID: 62062

Reply By: Member - Martin- Monday, Jun 07, 2004 at 22:37

Monday, Jun 07, 2004 at 22:37
One word of advice go and buy the clear polycarb covers for the lights, as a replacement lense is worth about the same as a whole new unit i know i had a stone go through one of mine and was shocked at the price so i invested in the covers.
AnswerID: 62164

Reply By: govo - Tuesday, Jun 08, 2004 at 19:46

Tuesday, Jun 08, 2004 at 19:46
Hi Cruza,l bought 2 pencil beams and tried them out,unreal for long distance but took them back and got 2 spread beams which still give you good distance but throw good light to the side as well,also it's good advise to get the clear protectors as well,l put mine on and did a short trip the next day when l got home l noticed a small crack in the centre of the protector..lucky l had them on....best lights l've had yet by far
AnswerID: 62323

Sponsored Links