Trans continental track

Submitted: Monday, Jul 10, 2017 at 19:33
ThreadID: 135232 Views:3664 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Does anyone know current condition of the trans continental track from Kalgoorlie to Haig & the tracks from Rawlinna to Cocklebiddy or Haig to Highway?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Mick O - Monday, Jul 10, 2017 at 21:54

Monday, Jul 10, 2017 at 21:54
Dependant on weather conditions MJ. They don't change much. Track to Haig is normally well maintained and generaly lightly corrugated.Haig to the Highway is a farm track like affair with patches of exposed limestone (but no where near as patchy as the last stretches of the Connie Sue into Rawlinna). A slower run but easily navigated.

The video may give you some idea of conditions to expect.

''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 612438

Follow Up By: Dean K3 - Thursday, Jul 13, 2017 at 19:05

Thursday, Jul 13, 2017 at 19:05
Great little video Mick, nice background music for once compared to alot I have endured of late
FollowupID: 882726

Reply By: Member - Paul B (WA) - Wednesday, Jul 12, 2017 at 07:50

Wednesday, Jul 12, 2017 at 07:50
The Nullarbor Muster at Rawlinna around Easter time attracts a heap of traffic which generally also attracts the grader beforehand, so generally the worst of the track is just after that when the Kal to Rawlinna section gets a bit corrugated, but the grader generally catches up again within a month or two and it remains more or less ok until the next big rain or the next Nullarbor muster. It's a fully formed and maintained gravel or limestone road so it's rarely all that bad.
As for the other sections Mick's video is spot on.
AnswerID: 612459

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Wednesday, Jul 12, 2017 at 22:37

Wednesday, Jul 12, 2017 at 22:37
Hi m.j.

The section of road that you are asking over is usually kept in quite good condition and is closed like any road when it is wet.

There are many great spot to camp in amongst the gums and the closer you get to Rawlinna, the landscape changes to true Nullarbor country, covered only in Bluebush.

The track from Rawlinna dow to Cocklebiddy is just a two wheel track, and one to keep clear of if wet.

Here are a couple of images of what you can expect.

Cheers

Stephen

Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 612474

Sponsored Links