Tyres???

Submitted: Tuesday, Jul 11, 2017 at 12:15
ThreadID: 135235 Views:5056 Replies:12 FollowUps:21
This Thread has been Archived
Hello everyone, Chasing some advice on tyres please....I know....so many options. Am running GT Savero ATs at moment but doing CSR soon and think I need something a bit meatier without paying ridiculous amounts of money. I am considering BFG k02, Falken AT3 and Bridgestone 697 Dueller.

I guess the characteristic I am looking for is prolonged deflated running over rocks, corrugations and sand.

Hoping to get some feedback or recommendations or is there a independent site with detailed specification comparisons?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Frank P (NSW) - Tuesday, Jul 11, 2017 at 12:50

Tuesday, Jul 11, 2017 at 12:50
Hello Kevin,

I've had great success with the BFG KO2s in just the conditions you describe. Expensive, but worth every cent, IMO.

Cheers
FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 612443

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Tuesday, Jul 11, 2017 at 12:55

Tuesday, Jul 11, 2017 at 12:55
I know nothing about the Falken, but out of the other two I'd go the D697 rather than the K02's. Had a great run with the D697's on desert trips over the past 10 years or so.

If you want to see a bunch of tyres of your size on one site, with basic info, a photo and a price, go to www.tyresales.com.au.
AnswerID: 612444

Follow Up By: ian.g - Tuesday, Jul 11, 2017 at 15:23

Tuesday, Jul 11, 2017 at 15:23
Bridgestone D 697 for me also, good solid tyre, plenty of tread and easy to get balanced (Important as some of the others mentioned are not). Possibly won't wear as well as some others but have good wet road holding abilities and aren't prone to chipping, all round a good tyre.
FollowupID: 882679

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Tuesday, Jul 11, 2017 at 17:22

Tuesday, Jul 11, 2017 at 17:22
Yeah, the 697's also did good on the Troopy for me.
The softer rubber provided good grip on wet sealed roads, and the Troopy needed that. Also deflates comfortably for sand and stony roads.
Wear life not great due to soft rubber, but you cannot have everything ion one tyre.

I change my tyre selection at each renewal. Have now fitted General Grabber AT2's as a trial. They are much like the 697's with a softer rubber but not as expensive.
One day I may settle on a tyre brand. lol
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 882683

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Tuesday, Jul 11, 2017 at 22:47

Tuesday, Jul 11, 2017 at 22:47
Hi Allan

We have been through 3 sets of Bridgestone, one being the older 694 and then 2 sets of the 697's, all in LT construction.

They were a great tyre, but not over happy with the way they were wearing. As my tyres spend most of their life ( when I say most, it. Is more like 80% dirt and 20% bitumen ) I replace them when they drop below the 50 % tread life. The reason for me is simple, you need as much meat on your tyres when you go bush as possible and under normal outback driving conditions ( this does not include true cross country travel, which is a very different story and hard on any brand of tyre ) we never suffered any chipping what so ever.

A lot of desert tracks are not a fair test in that regard, as we all know that sand is far kinder to tyres than tracks like the Birdsville Track, Strezelecki Track and the upper sections of the Oodnadatta Track.

When I priced around, the BFG were shy on $400 per tyre, the 697 were around $350, but got them for $320 per tyre. 30 k would see my tread down to just over 40%, which included full rotation ever 5 k.

Last year before heading off, I wanted new tyres to go bush and a couple of tyre dealers were pushing the new Toyo AT2 in LT construction for less than $240 per tyre. The $80 in difference per tyre is too much for a very similar tyre. So far they are just as good as the 697's both on and off road, and in the wet, with the exception of better tyre wear. I know that 10k is still not a good test, but even if they get to 40 k for the same tyres life, I am still miles in front.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 882689

Follow Up By: 9900Eagle - Wednesday, Jul 12, 2017 at 04:51

Wednesday, Jul 12, 2017 at 04:51
Stephen, I also have Toyo A2's and I am experiencing similar wear rates as you. Paid $228 per tyre f&b so that was excellent.

Have found them to be very good all round with no chipping on mine and good adhesion. The only downside are the wear rates. I don't think I will get to 40000K as at 25000k they are half worn, I would think I will be changing them between 35000 and 40000K.
FollowupID: 882690

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Wednesday, Jul 12, 2017 at 05:48

Wednesday, Jul 12, 2017 at 05:48
I've found the 697's don't last quite as long as the 694's that preceeded them. But still pretty good. I've replaced mine a couple of months ago. Set of five 697's in a 285/70R17 got 53,000km with 5mm tread still left. Towing caravan or Tvan most of those k's and done GVD, Tanami, GRR, GJR, Savannah Way, Oodnadatta Track, Flinders etc.
Like Stephen, I don't like to wear them down to nothing - that's when they get punctures.
I like the fact they don't have chunky sidewalls. A lot of stakes I've seen happen when a stick snags on the chunky sidewall.
FollowupID: 882692

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Wednesday, Jul 12, 2017 at 07:23

Wednesday, Jul 12, 2017 at 07:23
Hi Eagle

That would be disappointing, as from all reports they were wearing very well.
That is why I will not knock the 697, except for their tyre life and if the Toyo's do not perform as they should in the long run, I will have no hesitation in going back to the 697's.

One tyre that will not be on my radar now is the BFG, purely the way they badly chipped on my camper and my friends new Prado, and in return I have fitted the Toyo's to the camper.

Time will now be the biggest test, but on a footnote, even if I only get to he 30k mark and I feel they need replacing, with the $80 per tyre difference between the 697, I still have better value for money.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 882693

Follow Up By: 9900Eagle - Wednesday, Jul 12, 2017 at 11:04

Wednesday, Jul 12, 2017 at 11:04
Stephen, the wear is alarming but of those kilometres 18000 have been loaded and towing + the vehicle is always loaded.

I swap my tyres front to back after each trip due to the drive tyres wearing fair bit.

I am actually going to show the dealer the wear and guess I will be told it is a suspension or inflation fault even though the wear pattern is perfect. I guess I shouldn't be a pessimist though and should wait and see their slant on things.
FollowupID: 882696

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Wednesday, Jul 12, 2017 at 11:53

Wednesday, Jul 12, 2017 at 11:53
Hi Stephen,

Yes, the 697's and the earlier versions got good user reviews. My Troopy is a Big Girl and demanding on tyres. The early Coopers suffered chips, cracks and much less km performance than their sales promotion expressions. Their "warranty" was deceptive as the "80,000km" only applied to metropolitan usage and a number of other restrictive conditions. I won't deal with suppliers who try to 'con' me. And they are bloody expensive, as are Mickey Thompson etc. Their promotion by certain "professional" users is pathetic as they are obviously supplied gratis, saying more about the calibre of the "professional" than about the Tyre.

The BFG's that followed were maybe better but similar pricing.

Then came Bridgestone's which stood up better and with similar life but much cheaper. Also, I was maybe influenced by some emotional connection with Bridgestone having been involved with the establishment of their UniRoyal factory in Adelaide some 50 years ago. (Blimey, is it THAT long?)

I am not too concerned re the economy of mileage performance, after all I spend much more on diesel and maintenance. Road holding and reliability is more important to me. Each of us will hold to differing criteria. There are many good tyres on the market, some simply have more expensive advertising. Toyo's, Kuhmo's etc don't seem to spend too much on advertising but attract good reviews.

Continuing my explorations into 4WD tyres, I had a chat with an independent dealer I have known for some time, a rather No Nonsense guy. His recommendation for my Troopy, and the use that it is put to, was General Grabbers in LT265/75R16. Cost.... $270 each, fitted. A little more than your Toyo AT2 but possibly a larger tyre than for the Prado? I like the look of them with smooth transition from the tread shoulder to the sidewall with no fancy projections to attract stakes. They have yet to be put to the test other than a short trip to Fraser Island but will soon be tried on bitumen, Simpson sand, and the stones of Plenty and Donohue Highways.

Incidentally, in all my bush travels, I have had only 2 tyre failures. Each were in the Cooper's and on bitumen. I must say though that Coopers do make a good beer! lol
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 882697

Follow Up By: Member - Scruffy - Wednesday, Jul 12, 2017 at 12:26

Wednesday, Jul 12, 2017 at 12:26
Thank to all contributors. As usual I have learnt something and as a feedback I can say I have gone with Bridgestone 697's in LT construction. This is the result of consideration of budget and fit for purpose.
I'll get back in 12 months time and let you all know how that worked out for me.
Cheers
Scruffy (changed my name min conversation in honour of my recently departed dog and companion)
FollowupID: 882699

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Wednesday, Jul 12, 2017 at 12:30

Wednesday, Jul 12, 2017 at 12:30
I expect you will be pretty satisfied with the 697's Scruffy.
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 882701

Follow Up By: 9900Eagle - Wednesday, Jul 12, 2017 at 13:43

Wednesday, Jul 12, 2017 at 13:43
Just to set the record straight from my previous post about wear on the Toyos. I went and saw the dealer and he had a look at them. His words were, the wear rate may slow but if it doesn't bring them back at the end of their life their life, in other words what I am comfortable with regarding the likelihood of punchers and not down to the wear indicators.

He then said he would contact the Toyo rep and see if they will agree to a price adjustment if there is excessive wear. Well I will see how they go.

I must say they are the best all-round 4wd tyre I have ever used.
FollowupID: 882704

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Wednesday, Jul 12, 2017 at 19:13

Wednesday, Jul 12, 2017 at 19:13
Hi Allan

The tyre size on my Prado is 265/65R17 in LT construction @ $240 per tyre.

On the other had, you might have the same size tyres on your Troopy as my Ultimate, which I have also put new Toyo's on, as the BFG were very badly chipped.

The tyre size for my camper is 265/75R16LT and the grand price of $230 ea, fitted and balanced. The same size in the 697 was going be $295 ea.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 882707

Reply By: Notso - Tuesday, Jul 11, 2017 at 13:20

Tuesday, Jul 11, 2017 at 13:20
Whatever you get make sure they are LTs,
AnswerID: 612445

Follow Up By: Member - Kevin S12 - Tuesday, Jul 11, 2017 at 13:43

Tuesday, Jul 11, 2017 at 13:43
Thanks Notso, any particular reason you would recommend that?

Cheeers
Kevin
FollowupID: 882677

Follow Up By: Notso - Tuesday, Jul 11, 2017 at 14:08

Tuesday, Jul 11, 2017 at 14:08
All round a tougher tyre, stiffer sidewalls makes them less prone to sidewall penetration, and generally deeper tread.
FollowupID: 882678

Reply By: Shaker - Tuesday, Jul 11, 2017 at 13:28

Tuesday, Jul 11, 2017 at 13:28
Have a look at Kelly Safari TSR, very aggressive tread for an all terrain.

AnswerID: 612446

Reply By: Grizzle - Tuesday, Jul 11, 2017 at 14:04

Tuesday, Jul 11, 2017 at 14:04
Hello Kevin,
I have just completed the Stock Route with BFG K02's. They were fitted new for the trip. Had no problem with them. Car was a heavily loaded Nissan Patrol 4.2TD Wagon.
I had them set cold at 30 psi rear and 26 psi front.

Tyre size 265/70 R17

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 612448

Reply By: rlhydn - Tuesday, Jul 11, 2017 at 14:42

Tuesday, Jul 11, 2017 at 14:42
I have used Goodyear Duratracs for the last few years with no punctures or issues, good grip on and off road and good wear.

Unfortunately my second set were no longer 3ply but I still had no issues at all

Unfortunately they're no longer made in USA, and I am also curious what folks are recommending
AnswerID: 612449

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Tuesday, Jul 11, 2017 at 14:44

Tuesday, Jul 11, 2017 at 14:44
Hi Kevin

The Bridgestone 697 in LT construction are a great tyre and I have used a few sets. Great tyre, not not over happy the way they wear.

But one tyre now that is going to give a few a run for their money is the new Toyo AT2.

Fantastic value for money, very good reports coming from them and I have so far done just over 10k and very happy. I saved $80 per tyre swapping from the 697's.

As quiet on the bitumen as the 697, no marks or chipping on rocky outback tracks, eg Oodnatatta Track, Birdsville Track, Flinders true 4x4 tracks to name just a few.

Had the BFG's on the camper and how they chipped was a complete joke for a very overpriced tyre. Before others jump on and say it is because they were on the camper, they are kidding themselves.

A friend of mine put a new set of BFG's on his new 150 Prado. One trip up the Birdsville Track and both front and rear tyres were as badly chipped as my camper, so after seeing that, I would never give them a chance on my vehicle.

Don't overlook the new Toyo's.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 612450

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Tuesday, Jul 11, 2017 at 16:45

Tuesday, Jul 11, 2017 at 16:45
I had bad chipping with the original KOs on my Prado, but the KO2s on the heavier BT50 didn't chip at all in 10,000k of outback dirt.

Cheers
FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 882682

Follow Up By: Member - wicket - Tuesday, Jul 11, 2017 at 17:22

Tuesday, Jul 11, 2017 at 17:22
Another vote for the toyo at2
FollowupID: 882684

Follow Up By: Member - William B (The Shire) - Sunday, Jul 23, 2017 at 08:24

Sunday, Jul 23, 2017 at 08:24
Hi,

As Frank P. has said I also had the old style BFG AT fitted to my 07 Prado and they chipped badly, I now have the later KO2 tyres, fitted before a Canning trip 2 years ago and didn't receive any chipping.

I am quite happy with them.

I don't do as much travelling as I would like so my tyres last me quite some time.

William
Always planning the next trip. VKS-737 mobile 1619

FollowupID: 883020

Reply By: Dean K3 - Tuesday, Jul 11, 2017 at 16:32

Tuesday, Jul 11, 2017 at 16:32
There will never be a "perfrect answer or tyre" as saying goes if it got 4 legs 4 wheels or wears a bra bound to cost you money.

I can only go by own experinces and observations

Goodyear wrangler silent armour made in USA 265/70/17 fitted to prado lasted number of years good all rounder est of 140,000 kms before they were retired don't think I even had one puncture with them

Current set general tire at2 tread patter picks up little stones which tend to remain in tread block ofetn flickign out with car close behind or a tinkering udnerneath when it lest go. sticky clayloam will fill upside 10 metres and then leave a trail of cow pats for next kmw or so after said boggy patch. - "hopefully get around 140,000 km out of them as well but they have chipped away 2nd block in from edge due to rocks etc

Tyre I would consider based upon experience by surveyors for the former Austsafari rally held in WA Toyo MT one survey car ran them 3 years in row not one single puncture and were only "retired" with new set fitted for last event 2014 and handed over to a pastoralist as rag tyres for the bull catcher or paddock basher. Certainly if i wa up north all the time "read meeka northwards or kalgoorlie area" with rocks I would use this tyre as its fairly open allowing rocks not to wedge in between tread blocks causing carcass cuts and failures Its also been proven on "Dakar rally"

AnswerID: 612451

Follow Up By: Member - Scruffy - Tuesday, Jul 11, 2017 at 16:44

Tuesday, Jul 11, 2017 at 16:44
Hey Dean, you're the second to recommend Toyo. Ill have a look at them. Cheers Kevin
FollowupID: 882681

Reply By: Member - Wildmax - Tuesday, Jul 11, 2017 at 17:12

Tuesday, Jul 11, 2017 at 17:12
Have just done the Tanami, parts of the Canning and the Anne Beadell, around 8000km of tracks - using Cooper ST Maxx, and had no issues at all; not so much as a puncture.
Our travelling companions had Cooper AT3, and also had no punctures or other issues.
But, as you have seen above, tyre choice is very much a personal matter, and tyre performance is very much down to driver performance.
Cheers
Wildmax
2018 Hilux and Black Wolf 210 tent - for the outback tracks less travelled
Formerly an AOR Eclipse and a TVan

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 612453

Reply By: IvanTheTerrible - Tuesday, Jul 11, 2017 at 22:20

Tuesday, Jul 11, 2017 at 22:20
4 years of running the outback with Maxxis 980 tyres. Never had a problem. Did the Tanami and the Canning last Easter.
AnswerID: 612458

Reply By: gbc - Wednesday, Jul 12, 2017 at 09:28

Wednesday, Jul 12, 2017 at 09:28
You would be trying hard to damage a modern tyre these days (assuming you run correct pressures), we are getting spoiled by new tyre construction. We just finished a run which included 2000 km of dirt.
Our car had Yoko geo 12 LT, the camper Goodride LT. We ran 26 psi all round for good wear and zero chipping.
Our companions had the BF AT2's on a pajero towing a camper which fared similarly - better than the old ones would have.
Our other companions had a cruiser running on P rated Pirelli scorpions towing a trailer. His rears chipped only slightly but he was (in my opinion) slightly over inflated and the tyres are approx. 50% worn which was another good result.
I am on me third set of yokohamas and will go back for more, they are a great all rounder.
AnswerID: 612461

Follow Up By: rocco2010 - Wednesday, Jul 12, 2017 at 12:29

Wednesday, Jul 12, 2017 at 12:29
Nobody mentions Pirellis much. The second hand Prado I bought nearly a year ago came with five new Scorpion ATR LTs. I guess price is a factor in what a dealer fits and looking around on the web they seem a bit cheaper than others.

No complaints so far. They seem quiet, grip is not an issue and while a recent run through the Gascoyne and Pilbara involved some rough tracks it was hardly a torture test.

But after 17,000 km I don't think they are going to be as long lived as the Bridgestone 697s I had on my Ford Ranger. They had notched up nearly 60,000km when I traded cars and had at least another 10K in them ... but would have been replaced before that if there was a major trip.

Cheers
FollowupID: 882700

Follow Up By: gbc - Wednesday, Jul 12, 2017 at 12:50

Wednesday, Jul 12, 2017 at 12:50
The scorpions won a few of those AT tyre shootouts they used to do years ago. We had them on the fleet utes and while there were no complaints, the shoulder lug sipes wore out pretty quick and they don't drain water too well after that. Still a good enough tyre for the job though.
FollowupID: 882702

Reply By: Les - PK Ranger - Wednesday, Jul 12, 2017 at 09:40

Wednesday, Jul 12, 2017 at 09:40
Agree, the Toyo Open Country ATII get a good wrap form a lot of people, in fact I wanted a new set of them for North Simpson trip a couple of months ago, but supply was an issue, only 2 where available.

I went with Khumo Road Venture AT51's and had a few stakings in the fronts, unfortunately in upper side walls, so 2 brand new tyres now worth zero.

Also found Federal Coutagia AT's previous tyres were just a bit too sideways bag when running lower sand pressures, very open to sidewall stakes.

Mud terrains if you can find them in a less aggressive tread might be better, I believe they may naturally have stronger side walls.
AnswerID: 612462

Follow Up By: Harry C - Thursday, Jul 13, 2017 at 19:50

Thursday, Jul 13, 2017 at 19:50
I have Hankook Dynapro ATM RF10 LT on my 79 series ute about 50% gravel roads, no chipping, no punctures and wearing very well after 15,000 k. They are supposed to be rated 120R. Anyone else had any experience with this brand ? They are reasonably priced as well.
Harry.
The windscreen is a travelling picture show

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 882728

Sponsored Links