Simpson Desert

Submitted: Monday, Jun 07, 2004 at 10:52
ThreadID: 13524 Views:1711 Replies:3 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
I am planning a trip from near Geelong through Mildura ,Leigh Creek , Oodnadata, acrooss the SD to Birdsville and roughly back home again. Maybe through Tiboobura or over a bit further through Bourke.
Has any one done this trip of late say from Melbourne, Geelong or Ballarat( sounds like everyone is doing it July ). If so,could you please tell me approx how many kms this would be. Also could someone tell me the fuel prices at Leigh Creek , Oodna , Tibooburra at the moment.
Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Lynn2 - Monday, Jun 07, 2004 at 12:53

Monday, Jun 07, 2004 at 12:53
If you go to www.travelmate.com.au, enter your starting and ending details, it will calculate the distance and the time needed to complete your journey.
AnswerID: 62049

Follow Up By: farmer - Tuesday, Jun 08, 2004 at 10:56

Tuesday, Jun 08, 2004 at 10:56
Thanks Lynn2. That site you mentioned is quite an interesting site. Have passed it on to others. Interesting though when I put my destination of Mildura to Burra it gave me the route through Mildura to Ouyen ,Murray Bridge, Adelaide and then up to Burra. Over 600km. Instead it is far shorter to go through Renmark , Morgan , Burra . Just under 400km and a very good road. I put in Mildura to Morgan then Morgan to Burra and got my distances
FollowupID: 323564

Reply By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Monday, Jun 07, 2004 at 13:23

Monday, Jun 07, 2004 at 13:23
Easiest way is to get your maps out and calculate it - as for fuel, go into this site and look up fuel prices, as for the Simpson Desert - also in this site it is all done for you. Just do a search.
AnswerID: 62051

Follow Up By: Des Lexic - Monday, Jun 07, 2004 at 13:45

Monday, Jun 07, 2004 at 13:45
Leigh Creek is expensive for fuel. Cheaper at Copley just a few k's up the road and the bakery there is great. Found Leigh creek over priced and not much there.
FollowupID: 323424

Follow Up By: farmer - Tuesday, Jun 08, 2004 at 10:39

Tuesday, Jun 08, 2004 at 10:39
Thanks for the reply Ruth. I was just being lazy by not looking at maps and doing the caculations myself. The fuel prices I did look up but I did not see the above mentioned towns. I always enjoy you comments on what is happening in and around Birdsville - thanks again.
FollowupID: 323563

Reply By: jonhol2 - Tuesday, Jun 22, 2004 at 20:52

Tuesday, Jun 22, 2004 at 20:52
If you are going via Oodnadatta, take the time to go to the Painted Desert. Plan your trip to arrive well before sunset. Very basic camping should be available at Archaringa Station for a very modest fee. Also allow time to explore the area after sunrise the following day. The colours are simply amazing. I havent done the trip through Tibooburra for many years but it is worth the trip through Innaminka. Did from Birdsville across through Thargominda etc last year. The trip from Birdsville until you hit Coopers creek was very ordinary, but improved once you hit civilisation.
Make sure you take your time across the desert as it is a beautiful place to be if you explore it. You will not experience sunrises & sets like it any where else.

If you are out there in the last week of September & the first week of October, you are likely to run across the mad men & women participating in the Simpson desert Cycle Challenge.
AnswerID: 64497

Sponsored Links