Clutch problems, novice needs advice

Submitted: Saturday, Jul 15, 2017 at 19:33
ThreadID: 135264 Views:1703 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
G'day, it's a Kia preggio. 2002, diesel. Month or two ago clutch pedal got sloppy then useless within a day or two. I found a little bit out, went to bleed, found slave was peeking badly, replaced, bleed, all good, back on road.
Couple weeks, same thing. First, clutch doesn't seem to engage properly, day or so, peddle gets sloppy, I bleed, gets ok, ish, master cylinder fails just up the road. Replace that. Bleed all good

Couple days, clutch not completely engaging, attempt to bleed, no better....any way I'm pretty sure the new space has failed.

Is it likely or possible that my hydronic cylinders started failing because there's an issue within the clutch ?
Perhaps my new slave failed because of the horrible sediments in my hydronic line that I wasn't aware of and didn't flush until I was replacing the master cylinder. I also flushed that gunk through the slave which probably wasn't neaesary
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Tony H (touring oz) - Saturday, Jul 15, 2017 at 20:05

Saturday, Jul 15, 2017 at 20:05
Hi Marcus,
You haven't kicked a chinaman have you......certainly going through some bad luck ATM!!
Not knowing the history of the vehicle, .......it would be unusual that the failure of the hydraulics would have caused 'failure' of the clutch itself.
I'd first be checking the hydraulics for leaks or for any traces of air!
Let us know how you get on, please!
Insanity doesnt run in my family.... it gallops!

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 612535

Reply By: RMD - Saturday, Jul 15, 2017 at 22:02

Saturday, Jul 15, 2017 at 22:02
The hydraulic master and slave cylinder are designed to DISengage the clutch, not engage it. Releasing the pedal engages the clutch. If the hydraulic system is working properly there must be some free play BEFORE the clutch begins to be disengaged.
That is to ensure the primary port ( small hole) visible in reservoir bottom allows fluid to return to reservoir as clutch is released to fully engaged. POOR SERVICING always results in pitting, gunk and failure of both master and slave.
Not sure what you meant with your explanation.
AnswerID: 612538

Sponsored Links