Information on 4WD tyre tread patterns

Submitted: Tuesday, Jun 25, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 1353 Views:2141 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I would appreciate any feedback on the best type of tyre tread pattern to resist damage by very sharp pieces of rock which some agencies use as road gravel (particularly in SW QLD and NTH WA). Most tyre suppliers tend to concentrate on grip in various types of surfaces but this is only part of the problem when travelling in rock areas.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Kezza - Tuesday, Jun 25, 2002 at 00:00

Tuesday, Jun 25, 2002 at 00:00
Some homework for you- I use these http://www.rockcrawler.com/techreports/bfgmtkm/index.asp

I dont know any tyre that will not cut or scratch on really sharp rocks I find hard tyres will chip, SOME softer compound tyres will accomodate sharp rock better until you go fast or spin heavily,( I dont mean soft HT tyres) The new BFG MT KMs have a huge softer tread but wont chip off It seems to melt instead of burn and seems durable yet sticks well to wet road. You gotta decide for yourself. I did LOTS of homework I use these and I am very Happy and I do lots of rock and climbing - cant think of anything else but am always keen to learn if anybody else has done much research.

Kezza

AnswerID: 4414

Reply By: troy - Wednesday, Jun 26, 2002 at 00:00

Wednesday, Jun 26, 2002 at 00:00
Guys,

more to do with pressures than compounds and tread patterns really. In my opinion anyway.

TW
AnswerID: 4425

Reply By: tim - Wednesday, Jun 26, 2002 at 00:00

Wednesday, Jun 26, 2002 at 00:00
I do abit of farm work in the Northern Tablelands/New England area of NSW and there is heaps of shale out there which has destroyed a number of tyres but since fitting BFG A/Ts I have had noproblems at all, running standard road pressure and this was in a number of differant vehicles.
Tim
AnswerID: 4431

Sponsored Links