Trip Advice

Submitted: Tuesday, Aug 01, 2017 at 13:54
ThreadID: 135324 Views:2659 Replies:6 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi we are just trying to plan the next stage of our trip around oz. We are currently in Kununurra working until end of September.
We thought of a couple of options.

1. Travel to Katherine and then down to Alice Springs and out to via kings canyon Uluru then travel the Great Central (most likely be middle to end of oct) rd to Kalgoolie then down to Albany, looking to be around Perth at Christmas time. Slowly work our way up the north coast doing the places I mentioned below. Would look to be around Broome in aroud May next year then head to Darwin
2. Head back to Broome and track down the coast seeing karijini, exmouth dirt hartog island etc, same as above looking to be around Perth at Christmas time. Then head down to south WA Margaret River Albany then to Kalgoolie and do the Great Central road (around April next year) to Uluru and to Alice Springs then up to Darwin.
We will probably find some work in WA for 2 or 3 months early next year.

We have no real time constraints except maybe around Perth at Christmas as we have family there.
Thanks guys.
2a and 2k travelling in a drifta off road for
campingaroundoz is our travelling Facebook page.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: nickb - Tuesday, Aug 01, 2017 at 14:31

Tuesday, Aug 01, 2017 at 14:31
I like option 1 so you can spend the hotter weather on the coast in the new year.
AnswerID: 612793

Reply By: William M6 - Tuesday, Aug 01, 2017 at 19:47

Tuesday, Aug 01, 2017 at 19:47
Jayme, we spent 19 yrs in Perth and travelled WA extensively I like Option 2. Not sure which way you came from to be in Kanunurra but that time of year Broome is great, Karijini is one of the best places in Oz so underarted especially if you are active and enjoy climbing up and down magnificent gorges.Perth for Christmas enjoy the beautiful beaches and hot weather I would stick to the North perhaps around Burns beach. South to Margeret River - Albany - Uluru- Alice Darwin - good plan - ENJOY there is so much to see.
AnswerID: 612797

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Wednesday, Aug 02, 2017 at 14:34

Wednesday, Aug 02, 2017 at 14:34
I've spent a bit of time considering my reply to this and looking at the impact. There isn't a lot of difference if you time it carefully:

Option 1 would be fine if you love summer heat and will utilise this time to get in the water or out on a boat for the region Perth - Shark Bay. But I would suggest avoid heading to Karijini until it starts to cool off - Coral Bay, Exmouth etc are still very hot in March/April and it you wouldn't want to get to Karijini and find it too oppressive to do the gorge walks.

Option 2 would be fine if you get into Karijini asap in Sept-early Oct. Late Oct onwards just too hot to enjoy - its very exposed and no shade. The rest of the plan would all work well - so I think this option will be the easiest to manage from a weather perspective to get the most out of the regions.

Enjoy!
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 612822

Reply By: CSeaJay - Wednesday, Aug 02, 2017 at 15:28

Wednesday, Aug 02, 2017 at 15:28
Hi
To add to Karijini discussions above; We were just there in mid April. Although it was still warm, we recon we had it lucky;
Because the most gorgeous gorges are deep you will have plenty of shade.
More importantly there will still be good water flowing, and the water temperature will be bearable/refreshing. Especially considering that the best walks not only allow you to swim, some you have to get wet to get to the end.
AnswerID: 612825

Reply By: Sigmund - Thursday, Aug 03, 2017 at 12:21

Thursday, Aug 03, 2017 at 12:21
How in heaven's name can someone give you useful advice if you don't indicate what your interests/preferences/criteria are?

Just guesswork?

AnswerID: 612833

Follow Up By: Jayme p - Friday, Aug 18, 2017 at 15:52

Friday, Aug 18, 2017 at 15:52
interests, fishing, hiking/bushwalking, 4wding, camping, australian history, australian explores, spending time with my family exploring this great country, maybe a little prospecting, meeting other travelling families and others on our travels, mapping (im a cartographer by trade), land and water management issues.

preferences, free camping, trying to say away from the crowds although it's good for the kids every now and again to mix with other kids, see as much of Aus as we can (we have no time frame as we on permanently on the road).

Criteria, well we dont really have one.

We are set up for remote travelling.

Hope that helps a bit.
FollowupID: 883556

Reply By: Jayme p - Friday, Aug 18, 2017 at 15:39

Friday, Aug 18, 2017 at 15:39
thanks everyone to your suggestions, we are thinking of heading to karijini then down WA coast. We have already travelled up from Alice via the tanami although we just passed through Alice so we will have to go back but that might have to wait. Already Done bungles, Broome, cape leveque and spent a month on the Gibb.
AnswerID: 613170

Sponsored Links