Sandover Highway

Submitted: Wednesday, Aug 09, 2017 at 17:22
ThreadID: 135373 Views:2919 Replies:1 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Just arrived in Mt Isa after coming across from Alice Springs on the Sandover Highway, I had heard and read some horror reports on this road but they all proved to be inaccurate at the current time. The road is in good condition and in some places excellent condition allowing an average speed of 70/80kph. If you are looking for an alterative to the Plenty and the Barkly this is an option, you access the road for Camooweal, or just Nth of Camooweal via Austral Downs, we chose to cut Sth at Lake Nash and visit Urandanji. If you do go via Urandanji stop in at the pub and say hi and have a drink with Pam, a wealth of info and a very lovely lady, plus she has free camping and showers at the back of the pub.
Back Expand Un-Read 3 Moderator

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Saturday, Aug 12, 2017 at 10:37

Saturday, Aug 12, 2017 at 10:37
Len & Rhoda,

Not much information available about the Sandover when we travelled it in 2011, but knew a mate used it occasionally heading down to the Alice in a Holden sedan, so thought it couldn't be too bad. And at the time we were heading up to Camooweal for the Drovers' Camp weekend.

With the exception of a few kms of really bad corrugations near Arlparra store, the remainder was in good to excellent condition. Campsites were very scarce, but we ended up following a graded drain in off the road, and found a big enough spot to camp. "Local" traffic was sporadic, but continued from after dark to around midnight, mostly Holden/Ford sedans and travelling very briskly. :-)

Being a wet year, we found a lot of extra growth as well as a multitude of flowering gums and other shrubs.Well worth the journey, I'd say!

Bob
Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 612999

Follow Up By: Member - eighty matey - Sunday, Aug 13, 2017 at 22:07

Sunday, Aug 13, 2017 at 22:07
G'day Bob,

when we drove across the Sandover a couple of years ago I thought it was the worst road I had ever driven on.
Now that I'm living just off that road I feel like a real pussy. The locals are starting to filter back from Mt Isa after the rodeo weekend and they are travelling across there in mostly Falcons and Commodores. Like Steve L said in his recent post big dirt roads constantly change depending on the weather and maintenance schedules.

Urandangie is definitely worth visiting for the beer and company.

Steve.
FollowupID: 883419

Sponsored Links