EOTopo and HX-1

Submitted: Thursday, Aug 10, 2017 at 13:29
ThreadID: 135378 Views:2356 Replies:2 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Can the EOTopo maps be loaded onto the new Hema HX-1 Navigator?
Thank you.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: The Explorer - Thursday, Aug 10, 2017 at 14:11

Thursday, Aug 10, 2017 at 14:11
Hi

No - you can not load any maps besides those made available by Hema as they are in a "special" format. EO would need to do a "deal" with Hema to make their maps available in this format. Additional maps (not supplied with unit) must be downloaded from Hemas online server/cloud thingamee jig. Any maps not listed here are not available and you therefore can not use them.

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 612967

Reply By: bobsabobsa - Thursday, Aug 10, 2017 at 14:18

Thursday, Aug 10, 2017 at 14:18
While we are talking about EO Topo maps, can they be loaded into
Garmin nuvi2789lmt or they different format again
would you or could just run them on notebook running windows 7
cheers bob
AnswerID: 612968

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Thursday, Aug 10, 2017 at 15:25

Thursday, Aug 10, 2017 at 15:25
Hello

Garmin Nuvis run vector maps so different format (EOtopo are supplied in raster format)...so they can not be used. Maybe try shonkymaps (google it) - available in garmin format - same base data as EOtopo...may or may not work, I am not 100% familiar with nuvis.

If you have a compatable mapping program that runs on Windows 7 (eg OziExplorer, Memory Map ) then yes you can use EOTopo maps on a notebook (or any windows PC).

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 883327

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Thursday, Aug 10, 2017 at 17:41

Thursday, Aug 10, 2017 at 17:41
Just an update on the Windows issue plus a few fact corrections:-
EOTopo 200K

1. EOTopo200K map files are raw maps in OZF4, ECW, MMR file formats, are avail from the ExplorOz online shop to download or purchase on SD card or USB. They require the use of third-party mapping software such as OziExplorer to use. This is the only option for pc/laptop users.

2. the EOTopo200K map files are raster images files. This means when you press the zoom button in your mapping software program (eg. OziExplorer) that the map magnifies and minimises the whole image.

3. when the EOTopo200K raster map files were created, ALL CAMPSITE & ACCOM icons AND ALL POINT OF INTEREST (camera icon) were layered onto the raster map image and they are fixed at the exact GPS position where the feature is located in reality. There are some POIs from the Places database that are not placed on the raster map as this would make it too cluttered so they have been removed. In the Traveller App, when using EOTopo maps all places can be seen on the map as they are used as vector layers (ie. overlays).

4. the Campsite & POI data on the raster maps is extracted at the time the map is produced.

NOTE: OziExplorer users can download an additional free file that contains the entire "Place Name" database (over 80,000 POIs) to use with the map - however this does not place icons on the map at their position, but allows you to look up places using the OziExplorer "Name Search" tool. This file is not synced with the live Places database and is accurate as at the date the file was created on our server.

EOTopo Offline Mapset via ExplorOz Traveller

1. The EOTopo Offline Map does not utilise the same raw map files as are contained in the EOTopo200K raster mapset. Whilst the source data is the same (ie. ExplorOz EOTopo mapserver) the data has been specifically extracted in a proprietary format for use in the app - and these are not raster files but vector tiles. In addition, we provide the map tiles up to a scale of 144K (whereas the raster map files are provided at 200K).

2. The main implication of this is when you use the zoom +/- button, features will appear and disappear in the map AND this enables you to access the entire Places database of over 80,000 POIS directly from the map. These visible Places for the whole of Australia are placed on the map in their exact position and is a key advantage to using the EOTopo map within the Traveller app - you will never miss a POI. In addition, the Places database can be refreshed in the app directly from the live ExplorOz server from the Data Manager within the app. This keeps your map uptodate upon demand and is free.

Ok - so as you can see it does mean that using EOTopo maps in vector-file format is more advantageous but for now is only available if you are running the ExplorOz Traveller app, which is only available for now for Android devices and iPhones and iPads. This means there is no other option for Windows users but to use the EOTopo200K raster maps and your chosen mapping software (OziExplorer/TrackRanger etc).

However - we are always developing and the good news we have already commenced work on a Windows version of the app but due to the technology, will no doubt only be available for Windows 10 + (not Windows 7).
Windows users however can already use EOTopo online - provided you are, well, online :) !

Our goal is to extend the app offering to Windows users (for laptops used with GPS)

PLUS
we intend to offer a modified "browser" version of the app for desktop computer use (Mac and PC for online use only). This is what people are seeking in regards to syncing Private Treks and Places so they can use it from their larger screen desktop computers with a mouse, rather than touchscreen, so this would be an aid for trip planning purposes.
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 883332

Follow Up By: bobsabobsa - Friday, Aug 11, 2017 at 10:04

Friday, Aug 11, 2017 at 10:04
Thanks a lot , great information
Bob
FollowupID: 883346

Follow Up By: Member - Trouper (NSW) - Friday, Aug 11, 2017 at 14:37

Friday, Aug 11, 2017 at 14:37
You can use Shonky Maps on the Garmin Nuvi, I've been using them for the past 4 years on my Nuvi 2797.They work well never any issue with this mapping system. and their free!!
FollowupID: 883353

Sponsored Links