Article Review: ExplorOz Traveller Feedback & FAQ

My Article Rating: My Rating 4/5

I am running the app on a Samsung Galaxy Tab A mounted on RAM gear, also onboard a standard Garmin nuvi GPS.
I used the app over 11,000 kms from the east coast across to the Kennedy Ranges WA and onto the magnificent Mount Augustus.
The EO Topo maps I used were in the Offline mode and I was very impressed with the readability, detailed clear features, which left my trusty Garmin for dead as it was only a purple line on the screen. Understandably it was punching above its height and out of its depth. The app excelled for continuous monitoring and positioning giving support to what lay around you and in front for a night camp.
I didn't use the coordinates for forward positioning as the system would not allow degrees ,minutes and seconds only decimals of a degree which is not what the Camps Book uses.
The ability to zoom in I loved when navigating on tracks and then zoom out when on the bitumen.
I didn't use the Treks however referred to them as relationship to where I was and if I needed an out.
Voice guidance was not relevant as long distances and not so much the streets navigation was used.
Someone said along the way why would you pay $639 for the Hema gear when this system for far less gives you a fantastic aide.
Another thing that I have learnt along the way is to use these systems but don't forget the basics of navigation, know where North is and where the sun gets up and sets.
I would like to see it a little more user friendly but am not sure whether android system allows this, ie drop down boxes to select a destination or input co-ords all on the navigational screen.
All in all this has got to be the best value for money I have spent, no more paper maps which I loved.
Save travels
Back Expand Un-Read 3 Moderator

Reply By: KiwiAngler - Tuesday, Aug 15, 2017 at 00:12

Tuesday, Aug 15, 2017 at 00:12
I run the same setup as Tony and agree with his comments.

As a fulltime traveller for over 8 years I rely on good mapping software and paper maps, with (until Traveller came along) OziExplorer being my previous software of choice
Traveller is definitely value for money
AnswerID: 613081

Follow Up By: Member - Paul B (WA) - Tuesday, Aug 15, 2017 at 09:14

Tuesday, Aug 15, 2017 at 09:14
I tend to agree. I'm using an iPad Pro on an Arcon floor mount and love the elegant simplicity of just a power cord attached instead of many with a laptop & external GPS running Ozi.
Having come across from Memory Maps, I think Exploroz has better route planning but I'm still playing and getting better with it.
MM is good for other forms of maps (especially marine where you can use raster maps rather than the extremely dangerous vector maps), but well done to David & Michelle for something that's really good for 4WD use in the ExplorOz app.
FollowupID: 883475

Reply By: GarryR - Wednesday, Aug 16, 2017 at 06:32

Wednesday, Aug 16, 2017 at 06:32
I also use a similar combo (hema, ozi and mm) but, I do still carry paper mapping just incase the digital ever goes down for some reason. It is better to be safe and know roughly where you are instead of just guessing.
location - Warragul -Victoria
life is too short, so out and about enjoy

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 613105

Reply By: Sigmund - Wednesday, Aug 16, 2017 at 12:25

Wednesday, Aug 16, 2017 at 12:25
Which Nuvi?
There are heaps of models.
AnswerID: 613112

Follow Up By: Member - TonyL2450 - Wednesday, Aug 16, 2017 at 13:13

Wednesday, Aug 16, 2017 at 13:13
Hi Sigmund,
This is my second nuvi and its the 57.
Great machine around cities and towns but quick to use and heaps of features.
I like the multiple via points, history and categories.
Very user friendly.
cheers
FollowupID: 883496

Follow Up By: Member - Paul B (WA) - Friday, Aug 18, 2017 at 08:34

Friday, Aug 18, 2017 at 08:34
What is a Nuvi?
FollowupID: 883543

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Wednesday, Aug 16, 2017 at 16:06

Wednesday, Aug 16, 2017 at 16:06
Hi Tony thanks for your review and feedback. We take on board the suggestion to include other formats for entering a coordinate and will look to inlcude that in the next update - no problem! However, I would be surprised if most if not all of the locations you have in the camps book were not already included with Traveller as Places. So that if they are, you just click the GoTo button on the existing Place for your forward planning. Of course if we are missing some, I would hope that people will add them when they arrive (confirming they exist) using the DROP PIN feature which is absolutely accurate because it drops the pin at your current location.

We are seeing lots of Places updates/activity via app users so just keep ensuring you periodically update your version of Places via the Data Manager to keep your database up to date with the latest changes.
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 613115

Sponsored Links