Opposite Lock Heavy Duty Rear Bar/Carrier

Submitted: Monday, Jun 07, 2004 at 19:04
ThreadID: 13551 Views:4635 Replies:7 FollowUps:23
This Thread has been Archived
G'day everybody,
Does anybody else out there have one of these (so called) heavy duty dual wheel carriers made by Opposite Lock?
I think I've found out why it was about a grand cheaper than the Kaymar unit..... I was mucking around with my rear-end on the weekend (as some of us old blokes tend to do) and noticed a couple of cracks in the welding. On the passenger side wheel carrier swing-arm it is an apparent crack that goes all the way around one joint. The joint in question is behind the circular wheel mount, where the short rectangular steel bit is welded to the main upright section. I've drilled it through and used a 1/2" bit of threaded bar to secure the whole thing together and will get it professionally welded and gussetted before i do any big trips. The other side swing arm has the initial signs of a crack appearing and will have to be done too.
Would appreciate hearing from anybody else with the same type of unit.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Scott_G - Monday, Jun 07, 2004 at 19:07

Monday, Jun 07, 2004 at 19:07
mate 7 posts is a better number
6 belongs to the devil called Synfield
AnswerID: 62115

Follow Up By: Aussie 1 - Monday, Jun 07, 2004 at 19:09

Monday, Jun 07, 2004 at 19:09
oh scott, i missed you and your sick mind
FollowupID: 323459

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie- Monday, Jun 07, 2004 at 19:36

Monday, Jun 07, 2004 at 19:36
Yeh, sorry Scott...dunno what could have happened to the 7th post....it must have dropped off....blasted system ain't worth a damn!!!!! LOL
FollowupID: 323470

Reply By: Wayne (NSW) - Monday, Jun 07, 2004 at 19:23

Monday, Jun 07, 2004 at 19:23
Roachie,
I have seen this happen to two other vehicles They both hade twin wheel carries and three were cracked where you discribed. There was a lot of bush welding going on to fix the problem. Both were the Opposite Lock units bit the Kaymar unit on the third vevicle doing the same trip come through unbroken.

I am in the process of making another wheel carrier to match the single Kaymar unit that I have on at the moment. Whem I weld on the upright piece I will brace it on either side with 2" square tube. The section that the wheel is going to bolt to , I think I will try and get some round tube steel and weld a plate to the end of it so that I can weld the wheel studs to it.

Roachie you are going to have to stop playing with your rear end, people are starting to talk. Play with someone eles they are more fun, just don't get caught.

Wayne
AnswerID: 62120

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie- Monday, Jun 07, 2004 at 19:40

Monday, Jun 07, 2004 at 19:40
Wayne,
Thanks for that insight. As usual your expansive knowledge in the field has proven to be invaluable again.
I'm still not sorry I bought the O/L in lieu of Kaymar.....I should be able to get a pretty good welding job done and still have a few pennies left out of the grand that i originally saved. I've done a welding course, but don't own a welder. I have a few mates who would probably let me use their welders (silly buggars), but with something as important and "stressed" as this unit, I wouldn't trust myself to do a good enough job anyway.
Cheers mate
FollowupID: 323473

Follow Up By: Member - Gerk Yorke Pen (SA) - Monday, Jun 07, 2004 at 23:01

Monday, Jun 07, 2004 at 23:01
I can confirm Roachies Crack cos I saw it with my own 2 eyes.
FollowupID: 323521

Reply By: Lone Wolf - Monday, Jun 07, 2004 at 19:25

Monday, Jun 07, 2004 at 19:25
Roachie, some else is using your name, and asking the same question.....cheeky bugger!
AnswerID: 62122

Reply By: Wayne (NSW) - Monday, Jun 07, 2004 at 19:36

Monday, Jun 07, 2004 at 19:36
Roachie,
Now that you are at the keyboard, what do you think of the Synforce oil. Are you still using it and is it any good? Now I know that I can get it at Kings Park, if you think that it is any good I might try it before my next trip away .

Only one reply will be required, thanks

Wayne
AnswerID: 62126

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie- Monday, Jun 07, 2004 at 19:49

Monday, Jun 07, 2004 at 19:49
Wayne,

In all honesty and also having regard to the possibility that Russell from
Synforce may be on-line too, I have to say that I have not noticed any appreciable/measureable difference in my fuel economy or engine running characteristics. The exception to this was, as I reported early on after first using the oil, it did seem to have a slight effect on bottom end power on take off (ie: from 800 to 1800 revs). As to whether this was a "placebo" effect or not I cannot say.

In the same way, I also seemed to notice a slight improvement in cold shift baulk of the gearbox after I installed the sample of the gear oil that Russell sent me.

How did you go with your gearbox oil? Any noticeable change?

I'll be due for another oil change after we come back from Berri and I'm buggared if I know what I'll use. It is bloody difficult to justify the price of the oil and postage from Synforce and i may go back to Penzoil or perhaps try the Delo ??? something or other

Russell.......if you're reading this I'm sorry mate, but I just can't say I've noticed any fuel savings with the 2 bellies-full of Cruiser Oil I've stuck in the old girl so far.

Cheers,

Roachie
FollowupID: 323474

Follow Up By: Wayne (NSW) - Monday, Jun 07, 2004 at 20:08

Monday, Jun 07, 2004 at 20:08
Roachie,
Thank you for your honest reply. I did mention that the gear box oil that I got from Russell didn't make any difference to the gear changes. However I was using a semi synthetic oil that also claimed to reduce cold shift baulk.

The fact that I can get the Synforce motor oil easy I might just try it my-self, not that I doubt what you said, but the motor in the Cruiser might benifit from it.

The other way to fix the cold shift problem in the gear box is to do what I am, and go north for the winter.

Wayne
FollowupID: 323479

Follow Up By: Russell from Synforce Lubricants - Monday, Jun 07, 2004 at 20:19

Monday, Jun 07, 2004 at 20:19
roachie, no probs, i would rather have your honesty over your custom.
regards, russell
FollowupID: 323483

Reply By: Rossco100series - Monday, Jun 07, 2004 at 20:48

Monday, Jun 07, 2004 at 20:48
Roachie

If you are going to weld up the cracks make sure u grind them out in a V shape drill a small at each end of the crack and use Low Hydrogen welding rods 2.5mm. But your mate's home welding machine may not be able to run them they can behard to start and maintain a arc. But they do give a better and stronger weld than the normal general purpose rods.

Rossco
AnswerID: 62138

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie- Monday, Jun 07, 2004 at 21:16

Monday, Jun 07, 2004 at 21:16
Rossco,

Thanks for the tip, but the mates I've got have all got MIGs, so I'm not sure what sort of wire they'd need to use to get the same result.

However, as I said, I think I'll probably loosen the purse strings and shell-out for a professional job. I have a few clients in the engineering game and hopefully they can cobble something together with gussetts etc which will give me the strength I expect.

I did ring Opp Lock in Adelaide today about it. I know I'm too bloody soft and I started the conversation by stating that I wasn't ringing to commence any sort of warranty claim etc, merely to let them know of my situation and also asked whether they'd heard of anybody else having the same problems. Of course, their answer was entirely predictable......"NO, you're the first". (reminds me of a girl I was went out with!!!! LOL).....yeh......right!!!

Cheers,

Roachie
FollowupID: 323499

Reply By: Member - John (Vic) - Monday, Jun 07, 2004 at 23:14

Monday, Jun 07, 2004 at 23:14
Roachie
I hate to be sarcastic but I do recall a post the we both answered to about the Kaymar V Opposite Lock Bar.

I made the statement that I had seen two other OL carriers with cracking problems, your response was to the negative in this regard.
(One was owned by Andrew from Andrew & Jen)

This makes Three that I know of personally, two I have seen and your's.

So much for Heavy Duty and saving a few bucks.
What would you have done if it had fallen apart in the middle of the Simpson.

My Kaymar is just damm fine, by the way.
VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 62174

Follow Up By: Member - Pesty (SA) - Monday, Jun 07, 2004 at 23:35

Monday, Jun 07, 2004 at 23:35
Sorry John have to ask this its been eating away at me, If you are parked on top of Big Red, what is the sand hill behind you? LOL
You are a fellow toyota owner and it is not good enough !!!
FollowupID: 323527

Follow Up By: Member - John (Vic) - Monday, Jun 07, 2004 at 23:44

Monday, Jun 07, 2004 at 23:44
Pesty Pesty Pesty, I am looking along the top of the dune North - South ish, the track is in a bit of a low section like sitting between a small set of female breasts if you know what I mean.

The photo is also cropped to fit the down load size requirments, so you don't get the full effects.

Why where do you think it is ?

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 323530

Follow Up By: Wayne (NSW) - Tuesday, Jun 08, 2004 at 06:45

Tuesday, Jun 08, 2004 at 06:45
Pesty,
John is doing the right thing and staying to the main track, but I have never heard the top of Big Red decribed as " a small set of female breasts"
If you don't mind John I might just use that expression when I am out there next.

Wayne
FollowupID: 323538

Follow Up By: Andrew & Jen (Melb) - Tuesday, Jun 08, 2004 at 07:16

Tuesday, Jun 08, 2004 at 07:16
Two things!

1. That depression between the two mounds of sand looking along Big Red is know as a cleavage.

2. My Opposite Lock Wheel Carrier (?Caddy) is not the Heavy Duty Replacement bar - it is the Opposite Lock version of the Kaymar wheel carrier that costs about $1000. The Kaymar Replacement bar with dual wheel carriers is what I would like but $4000 is hard to part with for a poor bloke like me! My Opposite Lock Wheel Carrier did need welding around the bracket and it does not attach rigidly to the chassis - seems to have too much flex in my mind and I am sure that it will break on a decent trip. Not sure what I will do.

Andrew
FollowupID: 323541

Follow Up By: Member - Pesty (SA) - Tuesday, Jun 08, 2004 at 08:26

Tuesday, Jun 08, 2004 at 08:26
Hi John
Not doubting that you are nearly at the top of big red, its just unusual to see a toyota not right on top, LOL but that is driver choice as you were obviously preoccupied, something to do with breasts. LOL Cheers Mate
FollowupID: 323552

Follow Up By: Member - John (Vic) - Wednesday, Jun 09, 2004 at 01:34

Wednesday, Jun 09, 2004 at 01:34
Hi Wayne, since I don't have copyright over "a small set of female breasts" you are most welcome to use the expression.

Hi Andrew "cleavage" hmmm yes that is a technical plumbers term for the area between the tits. have heard it before and now I can say I have experienced the "Cleavage of the Simpson" during my mounting endeavours.

See how easy it is to get of the post, I started out by hanging $hit on Roachies OL bar and now we on the subject of tits.

I will have to email Willem and see if this now constitutes CRAP.

Pesty I recon it's close enough to the top, that photo was taken heading west.
More fun coming back east. But I guess the more you play with tits the better the fun becomes.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 323694

Follow Up By: Member - John (Vic) - Wednesday, Jun 09, 2004 at 01:41

Wednesday, Jun 09, 2004 at 01:41
Andrew forgot to add (Got side tracked talking about tits) that I thought your carrier was going to fall of on the Border Track that time.

I thought you said that your daughter goes to the same kindagarten as Mr Kaymar and he would do you a good deal.
Maybe you could trade him a for it.
Say a vasectomy or some such similar thing for a rear bar.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 323695

Follow Up By: Member - John (Vic) - Wednesday, Jun 09, 2004 at 01:43

Wednesday, Jun 09, 2004 at 01:43
Andrew forgot to add (Got side tracked talking about tits) that I thought your carrier was going to fall of on the Border Track that time.

I thought you said that your daughter goes to the same kindagarten as Mr Kaymar and he would do you a good deal.
Maybe you could trade him a for it.
Say a vasectomy or some such similar thing for a rear bar.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 323696

Follow Up By: Andrew & Jen (Melb) - Wednesday, Jun 09, 2004 at 06:47

Wednesday, Jun 09, 2004 at 06:47
How did you get onto mammary glands when I was talking about cleavage.... in the dictionary...The state of being split or cleft; a fissure or division.............hmmmmmm

Went to Kaymar to price a bar and like em but $4000 is a little too pricey at the moment.... not sure what I will do. And unfortunately Mr Kaymar graduated from Kinda a couple of months ago.

Andrew
FollowupID: 323698

Reply By: Troopie - Tuesday, Jun 08, 2004 at 12:51

Tuesday, Jun 08, 2004 at 12:51
G'day Roachie
When I bought my last truck it came with a Kaymar twin carrier - lucky for me. Anyhow - it only had one arm at the time - and it looked like it had been around for a while. Anyhow - I bought a new truck - similar model and was able to swap the rear bar and arm. So far I have had the same rear bar and arm for about 3 years and have no cracks of signs of stress what-so-ever. I also recently purchased the second arm (~$500) gulp...... and am about the do a big trip up the Canning and Kimberly - will elt you know if anything goes wrong.

Cheers
AnswerID: 62227

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie- Tuesday, Jun 08, 2004 at 14:04

Tuesday, Jun 08, 2004 at 14:04
Thanks troopie,

Hope everything holds together for you and that you have a great trip.

Look forward to hearing all about it when you get home.

Cheers,

roachie
FollowupID: 323583

Follow Up By: Troopie - Tuesday, Jun 08, 2004 at 14:10

Tuesday, Jun 08, 2004 at 14:10
Thanks Roachie

PS - The air sustem you helped me with a while back is all in and working - does the job just nicely!

Only thing is - I was under the impression the ARB compressor has a cut out at 100psi - in my case the blow-off valve on my tank lets go before the compressor shuts off. Having said that I don't actually know what pressure the blow off valve works at though - I explained what I was doing and it's the one the guy in the shop gave me.....

PPS gave myself a hell of a fright when the blow-off valve let go the first time.... ;-)
FollowupID: 323584

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie- Tuesday, Jun 08, 2004 at 14:27

Tuesday, Jun 08, 2004 at 14:27
Hey mate,

Not all ARB (or any others) have a cut-off switch. It's a device about 1" diameter and about 3/4" thick. Has 2 electrical tabs and a threaded "knob". The threaded bit has to be bolted into one of the air ports (not Mascot or Tullamarine either LOL) on you compressor and the power supply has to go in and out via the 2 electrical tabs (ie: the positive wire on the ARB motor goes to the switch, then the other side of the switch goes to the relay or where ever you're getting your power from.

Sorry if I'm telling you stuff you already know, but just thought you might have misunderstood and thought there was an internal cut-off switch.

If you've got another spare air port it might be a good idea to get a screw-in air gauge too, so you can see what pressure you've got at any time. If there isn't a spare port, you can simply use a "T" piece like a double adaptor etc.

Catchya.

Roachie
FollowupID: 323589

Follow Up By: Troopie - Tuesday, Jun 08, 2004 at 14:53

Tuesday, Jun 08, 2004 at 14:53
G'day Again Roachie
Thanks again for a couple more good tips. Haven't got a guage plumbed in but me thinks the blow off valve is set lower than 100psi. There doesn't seem to be any markings on it though so will probably go for a trip back to the shop and ask "what the?"

I think I'm going to be passing by your area soon - Pesty mentioned you in another thread. I'm heading off soon to do the Canning and the Kimberly - but before that I'll be travelling through your area to visit people on the York Penin. before meeting up with the rest of the crew for the trip in PA.

Cheers
FollowupID: 323592

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie- Tuesday, Jun 08, 2004 at 14:58

Tuesday, Jun 08, 2004 at 14:58
No worries mate,

If you're coming up from the maitland area of the YP, via Arthurton and into Kadina, you'll be going right past the front of our place. Mobile is 0414 890 148. You'd be welcome to drop in for a coffee etc. etc.
FollowupID: 323594

Follow Up By: Troopie - Tuesday, Jun 08, 2004 at 15:28

Tuesday, Jun 08, 2004 at 15:28
G'day Again Roachie
Thanks mate - not too sure which way we will be travelling as I've never been down that way. If we do end up nearby it would be great to stop by for a coffee - I have noted your number. We will be in your area around the weekend of June 26th/27th

Have a good one!

Cheers
FollowupID: 323597

Sponsored Links