Caravan rear view camera monitor on Prado

Submitted: Tuesday, Sep 05, 2017 at 21:29
ThreadID: 135522 Views:5585 Replies:6 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all
I have a 2013 Prado with a small multifunction screen - one of its functions is a reversing monitor. I would like to be able to connect my caravan rear view camera so it can be displayed on this screen - with a switch to toggle between this and its normal function. Has anyone done this before? Can it be done? Should I just go and talk to my autoelectrician - will he have the answers?
Any suggestions appreciated.
cheers
Kevin
Suitcase
Prado SX and a little van

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: IvanTheTerrible - Tuesday, Sep 05, 2017 at 21:32

Tuesday, Sep 05, 2017 at 21:32
Done this on quite a few vehicles. As long as there is an existing camera we dont have to much trouble. Oh. I am an Autoelec. :)
AnswerID: 613554

Reply By: Member - peter_mcc - Wednesday, Sep 06, 2017 at 08:48

Wednesday, Sep 06, 2017 at 08:48
I've seen people talk about it at Pradopoint - you need to find the "reverse" signal coming into the stereo/monitor and fake it plus switch the video signal. If you're electrically handy it isn't too hard (double pole switch from memory - one for video, one for reverse) otherwise find an auto-elec.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 613560

Reply By: Member - Little Briney - Wednesday, Sep 06, 2017 at 11:04

Wednesday, Sep 06, 2017 at 11:04
Unless you are particularly skilled at auto electrics, I would advise go the auto electrician route.
I had an auto electrician do exactly what you want to my 200 series Land Cruiser VX. There is a bit of magic to be done to ensure the camera does not interfere with the GPS functions (or there was in my case). Also need to have the latest updates for the head unit and the camera.
A good, reliable auto electrician will take all that pain away. Sorry I can't help with a recommendation as I am in the Hunter Valley and I presume you are somewhere in Qld.
Best of luck
Regards
Little Briney

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 613564

Reply By: RMD - Wednesday, Sep 06, 2017 at 11:50

Wednesday, Sep 06, 2017 at 11:50
If you wish to have a rear view while driving forward, ie, on a caravan, then using the dash screen will stop any other functions of it happening while looking backwards.
To maintain front screen functions AND see rearwards, fit a separate screen over or near the rear vision mirror. That way the OE camera will run when in reverse , NO trailer, and the new screen will be able to be used all the time for monitoring of reversing.
We have been trained from birth to look at the mirror for reverse, so a screen there is a natural thing to see.
Trying to use the OE screen for caravan view limits what you see. If the OE screen still comes on as normal when in reverse and trailer attached, it will be ON when reversing and therefore, the new caravan screen AND what is happening at the rear of the vehicle can also be observed, especially handy when tight turning while reversing to see the front edge of the van.

I would forget trying to make the OE screen the caravan view and give yourself greater options and fexibility and awareness by having the two screens do their thing as designed to do.
AnswerID: 613567

Follow Up By: Kazza055 - Wednesday, Sep 06, 2017 at 12:26

Wednesday, Sep 06, 2017 at 12:26
I agree with RMD, trying to use the head unit reduces the other functions it has. I have a D-Max LST with a Clarion head unit but I have added another screen that mounts over the mirror which leave the head unit free for GPS/Music functions.

Lets face it, having a big van hooked on gives you nothing useful to see in the mirror. I have actually blocked off the windows in my canopy with reflective sun shields. I then installed a second camera onto the number plate, end result I have 2 views of the tow ball when trying to hook up and can usually do it first time.

I did find the normal screens with the reflective surface was next to useless so purchased another 7" LCD and adapted the mirror clip onto it, works well.

As far as auto sparkies knowing what to do, I gave one a wiring diagram to switch the reverse camera as suggested above, he did not have a clue as to what I wanted done so told him to forget it.

FollowupID: 884076

Follow Up By: RMD - Wednesday, Sep 06, 2017 at 17:45

Wednesday, Sep 06, 2017 at 17:45
I use a reverse camera. it is switched to another line so video signal from that can be used as/for a front camera.
That switched line for front camera, if not used, runs a caravan camera. The caravan has 2 cameras on the rear.
Switching that second line OFF and then ON again swaps camera views from one side of the caravan to the other.

I agree, a diagram and setup to do that, would send the average auto elec into a tailspin they would never pull out of.
FollowupID: 884082

Reply By: Member - Dave63 - Wednesday, Sep 06, 2017 at 19:48

Wednesday, Sep 06, 2017 at 19:48
My reverse camera does not operate via selecting reverse. I ran positive via on/off switch to the head unit (pioneer in cruiser) which turns the reverse camera on and off. I do leave it on camera most of the time when towing. One of the advantages is, when hooking up and you have to move forward a little, the camera stays on when you take it out of reverse, no delay in the picture when selecting reverse again.

I have a camera on rear of tray and one on the rear of the caravan. The video line runs through a toggle switch that selects either camera (left is car - right is caravan) and there is no centre position for the switch.

On mine, other functions in the stereo are not affected except you can't see the screen until you toggle the reverse camera switch. Stereo still works, plays music, phone rings etc.

I wired it up myself and was relatively simple but I have done a lot of wiring over the years.

It can be done but if you are not used playing with the wiring get an auto elec to do it.

Dave
AnswerID: 613579

Reply By: Member - RUK42 (QLD) - Thursday, Sep 07, 2017 at 17:41

Thursday, Sep 07, 2017 at 17:41
Thanks for all that - I think I'm going to fork out heaps of hard earned and get a new head unit - it can then be made to do what I'm after.
cheers
Suitcase
Prado SX and a little van

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 613592

Follow Up By: Kazza055 - Thursday, Sep 07, 2017 at 21:21

Thursday, Sep 07, 2017 at 21:21
Just remember, if you are going to use a spare A/V input, you will have no sound as it will be looking for it on the A/V input.

This is the reason I have a separate monitor for the rear vision rather than using the head unit.
FollowupID: 884092

Sponsored Links