SA holidays April-June 2018?

Submitted: Wednesday, Sep 06, 2017 at 01:38
ThreadID: 135524 Views:2631 Replies:1 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Good day, I am trying to determine the SA holidays between late April and early June next year.

I'm looking to schedule a trip 5 to 6 weeks long. I want to hit a lot of the National and other Parks so I was hoping to avoid crowds as much as possible.

Of course ANZAC Day is 25 April. I also came across a website stating that the SA school holidays are 14-29 April. I would imagine a lot of people might be traveling during those school holidays?

So maybe it would be better to start my trip at the beginning of May, and continue into early June. I know the Queen's birthday holiday is 11 June. Are there any other holidays that fall in that time period? Thank you for the assistance.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Les - PK Ranger - Wednesday, Sep 06, 2017 at 08:34

Wednesday, Sep 06, 2017 at 08:34
So many websites opnline Candice, every state as extensive info re holidays, this website has all states on one page . . .

Aust GOVCO school hols

I would go after April anyway if possible, it can be still hottish and lots of flies then.
June / July is best usually, with Sept possible desert flowers out.
Avoid weekend events like Finke Desert Races, Big Red Bash, and Birdsville Races as desert traffic can be high either side of those dates too.

Public Holidays are here . . .
Aust GOVCO public Hols
AnswerID: 613559

Follow Up By: Les - PK Ranger - Wednesday, Sep 06, 2017 at 08:41

Wednesday, Sep 06, 2017 at 08:41
Those weekends I mentioned with events up that way . . .

Usually Queens Birthday long weekend (Finke Desert Races) in June, the Big Red Bash concert usually in July, and the Birdsville Races in Sept.

Google those for dates, they usually have them posted a good year in advance.
FollowupID: 884069

Follow Up By: Candace S. - Friday, Sep 08, 2017 at 04:41

Friday, Sep 08, 2017 at 04:41
I came across those two sites while I was Googling. That's where I got the dates that I had. :)

So I take it there are no other holidays that aren't listed there, if so that's good, then my time frame will work okay.

I'd love to come out a little later, but the timing just doesn't work out for me. Thanks for the help!
FollowupID: 884096

Follow Up By: Les - PK Ranger - Friday, Sep 08, 2017 at 10:30

Friday, Sep 08, 2017 at 10:30
May sounds like a good plan Candice.
Be out of the Simpson Desert anytime a few days before Finke Race weelend and you'll be fine.

Mind you, of the 3 major events mentioned up there, Finke races would be the least traffic in my experience using the desert as access, certainly seems like lower numbers than people taking advantage of the BRB and BV races for a crossing before or after those events.

Have a good trip, if your first you will hopefully love the region and experience like most when they first venture to the deserts.
FollowupID: 884099

Sponsored Links