Elachbutting - Mt Jackson - Koolynobbing - Jaurdi

Submitted: Wednesday, Sep 06, 2017 at 18:44
ThreadID: 135528 Views:3375 Replies:6 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
I would like to take a trip through the above sites, however, I am unsure if some of the roads out this way are closed mining roads. Does anyone out there know?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: qldcamper - Wednesday, Sep 06, 2017 at 18:54

Wednesday, Sep 06, 2017 at 18:54
Some have detours but still get around. The Carina haul Rd is well signed where it crosses the Kooly track, keep off it, I worked there and it's dangerous.
AnswerID: 613578

Reply By: RMD - Wednesday, Sep 06, 2017 at 19:56

Wednesday, Sep 06, 2017 at 19:56
It would be great for those reading post titles and posted info, for it to contain some idea or clue as to where these places are. Obviously those who recognise it can reply, but to enlighten others who may also be interested and learn from it the State or Territory could be abbreviated , ie, SE Qld.
Many similar posts leave those who haven't been near that area just wondering. Yes, we can all do a search but at least clue us in please.
Your name is Trek'n_Teach, but you didn't teach at all.
AnswerID: 613580

Reply By: Member - Paul B (WA) - Wednesday, Sep 06, 2017 at 23:07

Wednesday, Sep 06, 2017 at 23:07
These places are in WA's Yilgarn, north & NE of Southern Cross, west of Kalgoorlie.

Last time I was out there was Anzac weekend 2016, for my third visitin the previous 4 years, and the major road closure that would likely impact on your plans was that east of the Helena & Aurora (H&A) Range past the Mt Dimer mine. It looks like a well formed and maintained council gravel road, but it is closed about 5-6 km along.

However, you can get from H&A Range to Jaurdi by continuing NE past the west side of H&A to Pittisporum Rock and Kurrajong Rockhole, where you swing south the Jaurdi, leaving Mt Dimer, the Yendillberrin Ranges and Mt Finnerty all on your left (east) side as you track basically SSE to the Jaurdi homestead.

As others have said above, do not drive on the Cliffs haul road.
AnswerID: 613583

Follow Up By: RMD - Thursday, Sep 07, 2017 at 11:48

Thursday, Sep 07, 2017 at 11:48
Thanks Paul, for the info of the area. Now people can see/know where it is and some related issues too.
FollowupID: 884088

Reply By: Dean K3 - Thursday, Sep 07, 2017 at 16:13

Thursday, Sep 07, 2017 at 16:13
Access to elachbutting is public roads - limited telstra reception top of rock face ecoloo at camping area expansive area so just case of size of rig where you can park up - within the specified area a large clearing is full of everlasting when season is right -doubtful this year though

One place also worth having a look at before you hit southern cross Baladjie rock along the koorda-bullfinch road DPAW reserve road in gets bit muddy when wet and has "tramway tracks" but assess and keep to right hand side and no dramas back easter/anzac day period. No facilities but nice view from top of rock and a nice cave like opening on eastern side near salt lake

Can't comment about the Aurora ranges access always a hot topic as far as access rights are concerned - know the "burtons" had bit of a write up on area in Western 4wd magazine 103rd edition Winter 2017 they also have a few blogs on here as well maybe that assists
AnswerID: 613589

Reply By: Gone Bush (WA) - Thursday, Sep 07, 2017 at 22:37

Thursday, Sep 07, 2017 at 22:37
If you are going to Eluchbutting just skip around the corner to Beringbooding Rock. It is, in my humble opinion, much more interesting and has a beaut campsite.

WA's Granite Loop Trail

If you leave Beringbooding and go north a little way along the Rabbit Proof Fence Rd, you can get onto the other side of the vermin proof fence (closing gates behind you) and travel east all the way to Mt Jackson Rd. The vermin proof fence road is used by locals for access to Eagle Rock, another nice campsite half way along.

Once you get to Mt Jackson Rd you can turn south. A little way along you will find Trough Well, another great campsite with some of the best stonework you will see on any of these granite rocks.

Trough Well

From there you can go down to Bullfinch and across to Koolyanobbing.

If you are looking for more historically interesting places, Barcooting Hill is great (get property owner's permission) and that will get you on the way down to Westonia, a town that is very welcoming of visitors.
I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 613596

Follow Up By: Member - Paul B (WA) - Saturday, Sep 09, 2017 at 09:25

Saturday, Sep 09, 2017 at 09:25
Thanks, some great info here. Looks like I'll have to head into the bush NW of Southern Cross, which I haven't done much of.
FollowupID: 884131

Reply By: Trek'n_Teach - Sunday, Sep 10, 2017 at 15:15

Sunday, Sep 10, 2017 at 15:15
Thanks for all the good info, most of this stuff is new to me and I hope to be putting it into action in a couple of weeks time.
In the mean time, keep happy .......
AnswerID: 613659

Sponsored Links