Renault Koleos

Submitted: Wednesday, Sep 06, 2017 at 22:49
ThreadID: 135529 Views:4560 Replies:5 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
I need some advice guys. I'm considering the new Koleos diesel but not sure about its tow limitations.

The dealer has provided the attached specs.

We currently tow a standard 2010 Jayco Swan with a 2014 Outback diesel fitted with elec brakes. I believe the Swan tow ball is around 100kg (96 kg I have read) and weighs around 1000kg empty. I have spent the night reading up calcs for tow ball weights but I'm confused by what the dealer sent me. I'm kinda hoping you guys can tell me if the Swan is within the new car limit? Sorry for my ignorance as I feel I should know this.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Ron N - Thursday, Sep 07, 2017 at 00:37

Thursday, Sep 07, 2017 at 00:37
Frank, the maximum towing capacity of the Koleos Intens 2.0L turbo diesel auto is 1650kg for a braked trailer/caravan.

The maximum Gross Vehicle Weight (Mass) is 2298kgs. GVM is the standard term.

The maximum Gross Combination Weight (Mass) is 3895kg (described as Gross Train Weight in the specs). GCM is the standard term here.

At maximum GVM, the towing capacity is reduced to 1597kgs - as the GCM must not be exceeded under any circumstances. 3895 - 2298 = 1597kgs.

If the towball download is 100kg, the GVM must be reduced by 60kg - i.e., to 2238kg. That is, the overall loaded weight of the Koleos must not exceed that revised figure.

At 2238kg vehicle weight, you can tow 1600kgs - as 2238 plus 1600 = 3838kgs - still 57 kgs below the maximum GCM.

The specs are in the link below. You may need to click on the yellow menu button with the downwards-pointing arrow, to select the diesel model for comparison.

Renault Koleos specifications

Cheers, Ron.
AnswerID: 613584

Follow Up By: franklKTM450 - Thursday, Sep 07, 2017 at 07:04

Thursday, Sep 07, 2017 at 07:04
Ok so if i understood it correctly i should use the vehicle kerb weight plus additional - 1743 + 350 (2 adults, 3 kids,dog, fuel etc) = 2158 kg.

Max towball weight = 150 kg.

2158 + 1600 = 3758 kg
3895 - 3758 = 137 kg below max GCM

If I'm right, based on those numbers, this means the Koleos is ok to tow my camper?
FollowupID: 884085

Follow Up By: Ron N - Thursday, Sep 07, 2017 at 08:25

Thursday, Sep 07, 2017 at 08:25
That's correct. The major thing is to know exactly how much your vehicle, and your caravan weighs, loaded.
It's very easy to keep gaining a few kilos here and there - just like our own body weight!

The factory kerb weight is often not precise, it pays to put the vehicle over a weighbridge to get exact tare, with full fuel and regular accessories.

Cheers, Ron.
FollowupID: 884086

Reply By: Nomadic Navara - Thursday, Sep 07, 2017 at 00:55

Thursday, Sep 07, 2017 at 00:55
All vehicles should be loaded with the load mass distributed throughout the vehicle. The ball weight of the trailer is loaded a long way to the rear of the rear axle. When you attach the trailer to the vehicle the loading is not within the range of where you would place a load of the same equivalent weight within the vehicle. The down force on the tow ball lifts the front end of the vehicle up somewhat. That means there is weight removed from the front wheels. That weight from the front wheels ends up being carried by the rear axle. If you place 200 kg on the tow ball that weight that you have transferred to the rear axle will will overload the rear axle if you load the vehicle to its allowable GVM.

To prevent the rear axle overloading you must reduce the total weight on the vehicles wheels. That table tells you how much to reduce the total weight of the vehicle by for different ball loadings. You say that your trailers ball weight is 100 kg. that means that you must reduce the maximum loading of the tug by 60 kg. If your loaded ball weight is actually 150 kg then the load capacity must be reduced by 140 kg.

You will note that the load reduction is not linear. there is also the factor of having a heavy loading wagging the tail. There is an extra factor added for safety because of the extra dynamic forces imposed on the towbar during towing.

Some other manufacturers like Nissan also produce similar restrictions on their vehicles with a reduction of GVM with heavy ball loadings. A few manufacturers specify the reduction of GVM, the others should do so particularly when WDH is not used with the vehicle.
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 613585

Reply By: gbc - Thursday, Sep 07, 2017 at 06:38

Thursday, Sep 07, 2017 at 06:38
A family friend had the current model for a while. They towed a jurgens van of some description from Brisbane, over the tanami road and back again. They got caught out by rain and had fun getting back but by all accounts it punched above it's weight.
I'm sure you know they are a Nissan xtrail under the skin.
AnswerID: 613586

Reply By: RMD - Thursday, Sep 07, 2017 at 08:19

Thursday, Sep 07, 2017 at 08:19
I notice everyone talks about the maximum load/towing limits being what people aim for.
The figures are a "maximum figure" and not a figure which has to be achieved.

If going bush walking and you can ( at a maximum) carry a pack of 30kg but 22 kg is the comfortable weight for all conditions, do you carry the 30kg pack or carry the 22kg pack? so you have some reserve ability and not continually stressed to the max, especially if the going gets even more challenging?

Anyone with a sense of caution would not be wanting or trying to tow the maximum for the safety of themselves or others.
Most vehicles will tow their maximum weight with relative ease in good/ideal conditions, ie flat ground, so what!

I would be aiming for a tow weight and ball load of no more than 75% of the stated maximums. Less if possible.
With the association of Renault and Nissan, wouldn't it be more prudent to own an Xtrail, Nissan dealers for what they are worth, are more common than Renault. I am not a fan of either.
AnswerID: 613587

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Thursday, Sep 07, 2017 at 08:37

Thursday, Sep 07, 2017 at 08:37
Frank,
2 adults + 3 kids plus a dog tells me that you need a bigger vehicle than the Koleos. The kids will only get bigger and the weight carried will only become greater.
You need to measure the towball weight - even if just with a set of bathroom scales because towball weight usually increases when the Swan is loaded.
AnswerID: 613588

Sponsored Links