SIMPSON CROSSING

After 10 years of trying to get there I finally crossed the Simpson the week before the Birdsville races. I travelled west to east on the French Line, Colstan Track, WAA Line, Knolls Track and QAA. Each track we were looking for a smoother path without luck.
Good news was I only used low range once and could see my tyre tread pattern left on almost all the dunes. It's unfortunate that others are not so well prepared and tear the dunes to pieces with incorrect tyre pressure, inexperience, or towing trailers. My Cruiser V8 ute used 100 litres from Mt Dare to Birdsville and was right on the legal gross tare weight.
Enjoy your travels
Looking forward to every weekend being a looong weekend

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Les - PK Ranger - Friday, Sep 08, 2017 at 10:52

Friday, Sep 08, 2017 at 10:52
I remember my first crossing and it was very similar to yours, FL, Rig, WAA, Knolls, FL, the corner, HR tk to QAA and in.

You never forget the first time.

So did it get you in ?
Usually very addictive and draws you back many times.

Good going on the fuel use, and about what I've seen from the V8 diesel LCs I've crossed with, on par with fairly well maintained 3.0lt straight 4s, they just idle over !!
AnswerID: 613612

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Saturday, Sep 09, 2017 at 08:19

Saturday, Sep 09, 2017 at 08:19
Used similar amount(103L) to do E-W via QAA, Knolls, Rig, WAA, then onto Mt Dare in 2016. This year, in June, used 80L to go west over French Line, from Birdsville to Mt Dare, to meet up with Les and others. In 2015 Landcruiser s/c ute, with alloy canopy.

Would echo your sentiments about peoples' attitude to driving over the sandhills. Couldn't get over(no pun intended) the amount of damage to the French Line! Met a group of about 6, 5 of them towing campers, during our July 2017 trip on the Rig Road, who had come east over the WAA Line. They only "got stuck a couple of times" but I'll bet they stuffed up plenty of the other dunes too.

Maccax, what do you mean by "legal gross tare weight"? Do you mean you were at GVM of 3300kgs?

Rig Road is in good condition in most parts, and I've found it to be much quieter than the French Line. Hope it stays that way!

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 613626

Sponsored Links