Camper Drama on Birdsville Track

Submitted: Monday, Sep 11, 2017 at 22:08
ThreadID: 135584 Views:7266 Replies:8 FollowUps:11
This Thread has been Archived
Came upon this on the Birdsville Track a bit south of Walkers Crossing junction.

Then about 50 metres further on was this....

No-one in attendance and it was just after the Birdsville races but I have been out of communication until now.
Amazing that the axle and wheels came clear away without overturning the body. Either way it was a big problem.
Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 2 Moderator

Reply By: Les - PK Ranger - Monday, Sep 11, 2017 at 22:24

Monday, Sep 11, 2017 at 22:24
That'd take the shine off your weekend.
Would they have been leaving or arriving do you think.
Poor buggers.

Obviously opened it to unload whatever they could transfer to the vehicle, hope people respect it as others property and it can be recovered / repaired ok.
AnswerID: 613707

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Monday, Sep 11, 2017 at 22:30

Monday, Sep 11, 2017 at 22:30
Leaving Les. Bet he didn't back a winner either!

Dunno about the opened canopy. First thought was that the owner was salvaging but then maybe it was pilferers. I didn't go near it to look.
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 884212

Follow Up By: Les - PK Ranger - Monday, Sep 11, 2017 at 22:33

Monday, Sep 11, 2017 at 22:33
Ah well, at least they got to use it up there (assume they were at the races) and only had to get whatever they could out and go home.

Maybe they'll just claim insurance and let someone else worry about it, maybe they will recover and repair, it is a decent little hard floor.

Those often get fatigued when the suspension / axles attach, saw one like this at Mt Dare once, same thing with fatigue cracks letting the whole axle and mounts go.
FollowupID: 884213

Follow Up By: Member - Blue M - Monday, Sep 11, 2017 at 23:29

Monday, Sep 11, 2017 at 23:29
Gee Whiz, I hope mine doesn't up up like that. :(
Cheers
FollowupID: 884216

Follow Up By: Sigmund - Tuesday, Sep 12, 2017 at 07:55

Tuesday, Sep 12, 2017 at 07:55
An older Cub?

They have a decent rep.

Could have suffered from overloading.

The tare on trailer compliance plates is too often just a sales pitch.
FollowupID: 884223

Follow Up By: gbc - Tuesday, Sep 12, 2017 at 14:18

Tuesday, Sep 12, 2017 at 14:18
Like other brands, cub have various levels of specification - That setup looks to be the cheapest onroad spec which is very light duty no matter what way you look at them. They beef up the chassis and run independent coils on the offroad ones. Someone was asking a bit much of that toy.
FollowupID: 884228

Follow Up By: Sigmund - Tuesday, Sep 12, 2017 at 15:08

Tuesday, Sep 12, 2017 at 15:08
Yeah, could be.
But the Birdsville is just a gravel road these days.
FollowupID: 884229

Follow Up By: gbc - Tuesday, Sep 12, 2017 at 15:51

Tuesday, Sep 12, 2017 at 15:51
Yep, kind of my point. The on road spec cubs are toys. The drawbars are like 60x30mm rhs.
FollowupID: 884230

Follow Up By: Sigmund - Tuesday, Sep 12, 2017 at 16:44

Tuesday, Sep 12, 2017 at 16:44
Well, there's plenty of axle there.
Leaf spring mounts on one side at least gave way.
That point's c. 100 kms from Birdsville but we've no way of knowing how many kms to failure all up there were.
FollowupID: 884232

Reply By: Member - gujimbo - Tuesday, Sep 12, 2017 at 08:24

Tuesday, Sep 12, 2017 at 08:24
And this one on the Anne Beadell Hwy just before Tallaringa Well , with a sheared axle
AnswerID: 613709

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Tuesday, Sep 12, 2017 at 08:45

Tuesday, Sep 12, 2017 at 08:45
Gday Allan,
Gotta love Slipper springs!! Usually the hangar rips out from the chassis.
Last month saw a very similar old Cub further along the Anne Beadell Highway towards the WA border, and a few years back near Voakes Hill an old Jayco Flight did the same but some bush welding kept it rolling.
Years ago we were calling in to Mungarannie, and one of our friends was towing a well made box trailer with shackle springs - main leafs on both sides were broken forward of the axle but axle stayed under because the rear shackles held it and the tyres were rubbing on both mudguards.

More people are towing old campers into the deserts with the attitude that if it doesn't make it, then I'll just dump it.
AnswerID: 613710

Reply By: duck - Tuesday, Sep 12, 2017 at 11:13

Tuesday, Sep 12, 2017 at 11:13
It’s common on a lot of trailers that I have seen over the years the fwd u bracket that holds the fwd springs cracks away from light chassis. they hold together a lot better if it’s a u channel that spreads the load over a lot bigger area it also lets you fit a longer or shorter spring if the right one is not available & the rear are often just a square block welded on to hold the hanger if they have a wedge welded fwd & aft in the centre of block & centre of chassis they hang in there a lot better
There’s heaps of better systems but this will help the cheap std set ups

Slipper springs should never be on any trailer

You rarely see the old the double ringed leaf spring any more that if the main spring broke it was held in place by the second spring you could drive a long way by that 2nd leaf

I've had the sub axle snap off & had to strap a post to the trailer and drag it you have to watch that the post/stump doesn't catch fire

Don't you miss the good old days when all your off road items were made in the back yard, I think back to my old 3 speed landcrusier ute with is clip of roof, no Air con, no power anything including the engine, we did not leave anything
be-hind unless it burnt to the ground

AnswerID: 613711

Reply By: Rangiephil - Tuesday, Sep 12, 2017 at 13:18

Tuesday, Sep 12, 2017 at 13:18
I cannot understand why people with leaf spring camper trailers don't carry a set of Ubolts, 2 centre bolts and a spare main spring tied to the chassis.
it is not as if they are too heavy.
I have seen what I believe to be the common failure right in front of me at Palm Valley. Bloke passes me at speed on the rough road, I come around a corner and here is the camper trailer with the axle at right angles. A main leaf had broken .

The bloke on the Birdsville must have been going too fast and couldn't stop before the lot parted company.

If I had a leaf spring camper I would make damn sure the chassis mounts are up to the job. I would also regularly check my U bolts and centre bolt.

My Camp'o'matic with independent suspension has been on the rough roads for 11years now under my ownership and another 9 before that . Repairs 1 pair of Konis and several sets of wheel bearings.
Regards Philip A
AnswerID: 613714

Follow Up By: Sigmund - Wednesday, Sep 13, 2017 at 05:03

Wednesday, Sep 13, 2017 at 05:03
I took a CT with slippers outback on a number of trips. A decent Australian made unit with an upgraded axle. Watched the load, watched the speed, aired down. No dramas.
FollowupID: 884245

Reply By: RMD - Tuesday, Sep 12, 2017 at 13:26

Tuesday, Sep 12, 2017 at 13:26
Allan.

That camper was owned by a Boxing Prize fighter referee. He always insists on a clean break.
AnswerID: 613716

Reply By: Member - Racey - Wednesday, Sep 13, 2017 at 09:40

Wednesday, Sep 13, 2017 at 09:40
I have often noted that so many people towing camper trailers are usually going like the clappers. In such cases this sort of damage is to be expected.
AnswerID: 613738

Follow Up By: splits - Thursday, Sep 14, 2017 at 19:18

Thursday, Sep 14, 2017 at 19:18
"I have often noted that so many people towing camper trailers are usually going like the clappers. In such cases this sort of damage is to be expected."

I have noticed the same thing but rear leaf spring tow cars are travelling at the same speed and they don't break. It all comes down to design and I have yet to see any type of trailer that looks like the same engineers who designed the car also designed the trailer.

Car spring mounting brackets are usually stamped with curves and rolled edges on them. Trailers are usually flat with no stiffening..

Then there is the type of steel they are made out of. I once did some extensive cutting and welding on a Hilux chassis. The steel was noticeably stiffer than what you buy off the shelf at Metaland. I carried out destructive tests on small pieces butt welded together by bending them at 180 degrees right along the weld. The weld did not let go and the steel did not crack.

There is also the design of the suspension. Many trailers don't have shocks and those that do often have them mounted on such an angle to get them under the floor that they could not be all that affective . Car manufacturers mount them in towers extending up into the boot space or the rear of station wagons. If they could lay them down on a steep angle like trailers, they would do it.

Next you have unsprung weight matched to the springs and so the list goes on.

It is not surprising the trailers break but the cars don't
FollowupID: 884316

Reply By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Wednesday, Sep 13, 2017 at 17:39

Wednesday, Sep 13, 2017 at 17:39
.Yes, it was a Cub Spacematic Regal. Not their cheapest model. Advertised at $10k to $12k.
What was left of the spring on the axle had no eye so I suspect that the main leaf broke adjacent to the eye and the other end was a slipper. The other spring had detached from the axle and was maybe still atached to the camper chassis. Of course the fracture sequence may have been the other way around.
At least the coupling was an upgrade to a urethane block & pin from the original cup & ball. This is probably what managed to keep the camper attached to the car until coming to a stop.

From the way the floor was left 'open' I would think that the owner was totally disgusted and abandoned what was left or it had already been vandalised.
Cheers
Allan

AnswerID: 613757

Follow Up By: Les - PK Ranger - Wednesday, Sep 13, 2017 at 18:52

Wednesday, Sep 13, 2017 at 18:52
In any case a terribly high cost for the Birdsville Races trip for this unfortunate traveller.
FollowupID: 884268

Sponsored Links