Barrigun Pub - Qld/NSW Border

Submitted: Friday, Sep 22, 2017 at 06:55
ThreadID: 135618 Views:3030 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
After hearing that the pub was up for sale, the cook and I decided to go and visit Mary once more, as it was about 5years since we last called in and as we were going in that direction. An early morning breakfast at the old roadhouse across the road, it was 9.30am and Mary was sitting out the front having a cup of tea. We walked across and had a good chat to her, as the heavy vechiles going past were blowing their air horns and waving to her. She was actually amazed at all the attention that she has received from the general public, and stated that she was 93yrs old not 103yrs old as some stories came out with. Her future was to live with one of the kids in may be Dubbo or Bourke, as she now needs help with the basic things of life. eg cooking and showering. She does have help with the running of the pub. By 10am we decided to say goodbye to her, as the onslaught of travelling visitors were beginning to roll up. There was about 6 vechiles pull over and started to walk across the road to greet her. It will be sad to see another piece of history disappear, as she was a character in her own rights. Currently Mary is the oldest Publican in Australia
location - Warragul -Victoria
life is too short, so out and about enjoy

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 4 Moderator

Reply By: IvanTheTerrible - Thursday, Sep 28, 2017 at 21:06

Thursday, Sep 28, 2017 at 21:06
Stopped there quite a few times over the last few years but I doubt I'll get back before she leaves
AnswerID: 614029

Reply By: Member - Michael O (NSW) - Saturday, Sep 30, 2017 at 06:17

Saturday, Sep 30, 2017 at 06:17
Popped in for a visit on the way home from the Big Red Bash.

A fabulous lady and an inspiration to my teenage kids.

Mary told me her family had built Monte Cristo, the haunted house in Junee in the NSW Riverina.
AnswerID: 614069

Sponsored Links